PDA

View Full Version : Ivy (Ground)

Liberty Landscaping LLC
06-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Ok I have a customer that has ivy on the ground that they want "removed" as a meyhod to combat mosquito control. Any suggestions how to remove it? With chemicals and without

Liberty Landscaping LLC
06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
She wants the roots removed to just talked to her. Anyway faster then pulling each one? Tilling and picking up the excess????

mark123
06-18-2012, 07:41 PM
What does this mean?
... as a meyhod to combat mosquito control. ...

Many "three way" products claim ground ivy control but I've found them to fail nearly every time. You'll probably want something with triclopyr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triclopyr) but I've not tried it yet. This is a good reminder for me to try it because I've got a lot of ground ivy in my lawns.

Are you licensed to apply pesticides in your state?

Liberty Landscaping LLC
06-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I took the class for it and paid the fees awaiting the paper to arrive. They claim if i sent everything in and have the receipts I can. I am hoping it comes in before that. She had a company come in to combat the mosquitoes and they said get rid of the shrubs and ivy as a method to rid them. I haven't heard of it before but they are paying the bill.

Steve
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
I have a customer that has ivy on the ground that they want "removed"

And then what? Sod? Grass seed? Tilling it up might be the way to go.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
06-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Mulch she has 8 bags however far that goes I wad told... tried getting her to let me mulch everything with my mulch shot down she wants to use up hers. Will tilling make it easy to get the roots and all?

Organic
06-19-2012, 12:16 AM
One shot of strike 3, works for me

Steve
06-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Well I guess if you don't have your applicator's license yet, you could go with the tilling, landscape fabric, and then mulch.

Organic
06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Never ever till a soil, you are promoting more weed seeds. R U area and cover with mulch or soil

mark123
06-19-2012, 07:31 PM
One shot of strike 3, works for me

Strike3 is just a 3 way (2,4-D/Dicamba/MCPA), right? In my experience it just doesn't work well on ground ivy unless it's flowering and even then it mostly survives. I've tried surfactants/stickers in the mix as well.

What's your secret?

thom
06-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Ok I have a customer that has ivy on the ground that they want "removed" as a meyhod to combat mosquito control. Any suggestions how to remove it? With chemicals and without

Is this ivy growing in the lawn?

Liberty Landscaping LLC
06-21-2012, 06:52 PM
No they used it in a "garden area" empty beds filled with ivy

thom
06-22-2012, 07:06 AM
No they used it in a "garden area" empty beds filled with ivy

I have used triplet ,and surge herbicide to kill all types of ivy with very good results. expect to see results after 14 days.

krzys666
06-22-2012, 07:51 AM
there are a couple of ways to do this depending on state and country restrictions.
1) only non chemical way is fire.
you need a propane tank with a torch, the ones they use for asphalt. you then burn the ivy with the roots. this is the best way.

chemical
2) q4 with silver tip. it costs me 120 per gallon. i use about 1-2 ounces per gallon depending on how established the ivy is. this is the best chemical but not legal in all states.

3) round up that you have to mix. use 8-9 ounces per 2 gallons. yes it is double the dosage recommended but it works great.

the best results would be on a hot sunny day.
with the chemicals you will need multiple visits.
spray when you cut the grass every week.
once the ivy starts to die keep spraying until it is totally gone.

noworkgardener
06-23-2012, 11:56 AM
There are several kinds of ground ivy so the first thing to do is to recognize what you have. Vica is woody and the roots are fairly narely. English ivy does not set deep roots and is a lot easier to remove. Around here everyone likes vinca and most lawn care companies I have seen do not manage it with the lawn. This is easily done with a string trimmer.

I have just done a job removing the vinca where the customer wanted to save the tree it was choking and the plants. Then replant it in the woods near her kids tree house. She also wanted to repurpose the area where I was pulling up the vinca. I have learned several things. The only spray that would allow repurposing the area is one that would be gone in a few days like Round up. She was worried about the tree also. So I did not use any spray.

When transplanting dont plant too thick. The vinca comes up in mats so thin the mat out a bit before planting.

The other thing I learned is that, for weeding and edging, the sod cutter will make life easy! What a great tool. I rented this one on the recommendation of a guy at the tool rental place. I used it to put in a garden bed and weed another and did not have to bend down until I needed to clean up the weeds!

I was also concerned about the time it was going to take and at one point she asked me for a quote which she later decided I could not tell her what it would cost. (I usually charge $15/hour for weeding and remediation because I work alone and have no idea how much it will cost.) I have a price now for you guys but I will get to that with my bottom line.

Things that I have learned with this job.
1. Cut the vine as short as possible. To the ground if you can so you don't have to deal with the long stems which will log your tools. I used my string trimmer (i like square line for this) to prevent dulling my mower blades.

2. Use a sod cutter. I chose not to use a tiller because it might hurt the tree but I discovered when I was transplanting another reason not to use a tiller is that you will have to stop to take the vines off the tines many times and this will waste time. I also did not use a mechanical sod cutter but a foot cutter so I would have more control of what I was doing.

3. There is no avoiding getting the vines and roots tangled in the cutter but if you twist the cutter by the handle you can move the tangles out of the way and roll it back to where you left off with out bending or using too much time.

In the end you can use the sod cutter, a tine rake, and a leaf rake to do the whole job.

4. This is a 2 person job. One to trim one to rake material out of the way. One to cut one to rake material out of the way.

I currently have 33 hours into this project.
The area under the tree is 20ft in diameter and has the difficulty of spreading roots which is why the vinca was placed there to prevent mowing roots. There is another area that is smaller also and I ran into a bees nest there. (carpenter bees so they did not swarm because they have individual nests but they still sting if you make them too mad.) I need to make some more measurements to find out a good estimate of my time and the time a job like this will take. I will get back to you on that.