PDA

View Full Version : What's your status?

CHEESE2009
06-17-2012, 09:16 PM
We're almost done another month, just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing!

We all have a habit of slowing down when it comes to advertising and building our companies, we are at that 'discouraging' point where we have two options;

a) roll with what we've got until the end of the season, and regret it during the winter.

b) gain your second wind and advertise hardcore, grab this season by the balls.

-

So, what's your case forum? Still handing out advertisements when you can?

Liberty Landscaping LLC
06-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Always.
Toying with the idea of hiring another guy just to flyer the neighborhoods I already do ehile we cut....might try it next week he can write down where he left off and pick up there next week....hmmm i don't know

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-17-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm happy with what I got for mowing. I never liked to have to many lawn accounts. It just creates a backlog for other higher paying services. Then I keep getting calls for jobs to far away, call when needed cuts, and just low paying yards. I figure if I wanted the work its there but I'm not chasing.

I hate getting a job and then telling the client I cant do it for 10 days then risk losing the opportunity. I based my business plan on getting bigger jobs that lowballers cant do. I prefer to get a check for a grand at the end of the day rather then bill 50 people at the end of month.

shadrach
06-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Advertising more. Less than an inch of rain in last three and a half weeks, so not doing a whole lot of good.

WorkForMySelf
06-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Im lying here regretting doing a poison ivy job but I will go back out advertising soon.. when I am doing being lazy/ crying like a little girl.

CHEESE2009
06-18-2012, 03:47 PM
I could use a few more lawns, but I'm not killing myself to get them.

Doing small advertising, hitting certain streets where we see simple lawns to do usually when it rains. A craigslist advert every now and then.

I've actually gotten hundreds of calls from places I don't do, so it''s kind of annoying. I specifically write the area I work, yet people insist on calling from Japan... lol

I can't go into this area because the streets are traps, they end up becoming one way roads... Not to mention I need to take the highway to get there and my equipment would explode lol. SUCKS. Oh well, crappy area anyway.

-

The season is going extremely well, everything is holding up. A few cash customers to chase around, but that's pretty much it.

dpld
06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
this time of year it is hard to get any lawns, at least in my neck of the woods and anyone you get at this point would probably be a bare bones bare minimum lawn for someone who just decided they don't want to cut their lawn no more but still are uneasy about paying for it to be done.

most of the work up for grabs right now is the mulching, shrub trimming and construction type of work.

outside of that with school soon to be out if it is not out already in your area the months of july, august and september are pretty much shot and i usually hold off on any advertiseing other then my usual monthly mailings with my mailing list.

july and august are pretty much national vacation months and it is the time of year when people put their money into summer fun as well as day camps and such for their kids.

i welcome the slower days of summer because it will be too hot and after the wet spring we had and the way the grass is still growing i look forward to a mini break as well as it lets me spend time with my kids while they are off from school.

my big advertiseing push is from mid september ruthlessly non stop till april.
by doing that it generates some fall work as well as i promote heavily for the following season which is for me the most important.

the rest of the year i send out just what i need to keep my name out there but not waste too much money because during those times the return on the investment is just not there.

i am curious as to how different it is from region to region, what i mean is down south like florida it seems nice all year so i would assume the work goes year round.
i am in the north east and we get all four seasons and the work flows just like the seasons and sometime a particular season may stretch out a little longer but it is pretty constant and when the winter freeze comes you got time on your side unless it snows.

basicly in a nutshell i am asking is do you find your work only comes at certain times of the year or do opportunities arrise often?
for me there are only about three to four months a year where that happens and the rest people are either burned out and pre occupied with their lives and lose the itch for home improvements or the weather just does not allow it.

CHEESE2009
06-18-2012, 05:21 PM
April-May
I expect calls from previous clientele, and calls from the elderly.

June
I expect calls from those who are dissatisfied with their current lawn guy, or are just fed up with doing the work themselves.

You can also expect people to call this time expecting to pay less because they skipped a month :rolleyes:

July
I usually get most of my referrals by this time.

August-September
-Dead-

October-November
People are panicking and want to book fall cleanups.

-

The strongest month is usually June. During May, people are still trying to ignore the fact that their grass needs to be taken care of.

dpld
06-18-2012, 06:45 PM
April-May
I expect calls from previous clientele, and calls from the elderly.

June
I expect calls from those who are dissatisfied with their current lawn guy, or are just fed up with doing the work themselves.

You can also expect people to call this time expecting to pay less because they skipped a month :rolleyes:

July
I usually get most of my referrals by this time.

August-September
-Dead-

October-November
People are panicking and want to book fall cleanups.

-

The strongest month is usually June. During May, people are still trying to ignore the fact that their grass needs to be taken care of.

what month do you start doing work for your clients?

we usually start weather depending on or about sometime in march and if we had a ton of snow by april at the latest, but that is rare.

as far as contracts i and most in my area have that wrapped up by january a couple months before the action starts.

how long is your growing season? i would bet being up north you probably got a couple less months than i do.

Steve
06-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Im lying here regretting doing a poison ivy job but I will go back out advertising soon.

You should make another post about this to warn other readers as to the pros and cons..

Jack Rabbit
06-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I have all the work I can do (no employees). Still not making much but better than last year. I'll raise prices next season. Taxes eating too much of the money.

Several clients only need reduced schedules or on call mowing since the weather is not helping. Weeds, odd jobs, and some shady yards with non-Bermuda help. Most grass yards here in the desert are Bermuda. 102 degrees today but 66 tonight. Bermuda doesn't like the "cool" nights. Usually warm nights sooner. No rain for a long time. The grass does much better with rain than city water.

dpld: Here the mowing season starts in April or May and ends in September or early October depending on weather. Not much work in Winter. Little snow so no shoveling. I do handyman things, gophering (shopping, errands), odd jobs in winter.

dpld
06-19-2012, 07:56 AM
dpld: Here the mowing season starts in April or May and ends in September or early October depending on weather. Not much work in Winter. Little snow so no shoveling. I do handyman things, gophering (shopping, errands), odd jobs in winter.

wow that is a short season, i don't know how guys like you can survive on that especially being there is no snow work.

i guess in some parts of the country you really have to be on the ball and find other means to stay busy.