PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Gas Tank

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-17-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a honda GX200 engine with a metal gas tank. It didnt want to start and the plug was brown and rusty. I ended up cleaning her and getting her running but when I ran out of gas. I seen the bottom of gas tank is rusted pretty bad.
Is there a way to fix this? Or do I just replace it?

willshome
06-17-2012, 07:41 PM
put some nuts and bolts in the tank and shake the tank rinse and repeat.
there is a "tank liner in a can" they sell at bike shops that would work if cleaning along does not.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-17-2012, 07:44 PM
put some nuts and bolts in the tank and shake the tank rinse and repeat.
there is a "tank liner in a can" they sell at bike shops that would work if cleaning along does not.

Thats a interesting idea. Ill try that. Would rustoleum work or will the gas just eat through it?

wandfsmall
06-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I have a honda GX200 engine with a metal gas tank. It didnt want to start and the plug was brown and rusty. I ended up cleaning her and getting her running but when I ran out of gas. I seen the bottom of gas tank is rusted pretty bad.
Is there a way to fix this? Or do I just replace it?

clr with bb's sometimes works other then that you can do it with electrolysis. After your done is when you use the tank liner in a can so that it lasts longer before the rust comes back.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-17-2012, 09:43 PM
you can clean it out all day, but it's still going to continue to rust over time.

eventually you'll need a new tank. same thing in the moped game.

fill it with gravel, bolts, etc. soak it in vinegar overnight first. 2 or 3 nights if you can wait. you can soak it in vinegar and shake it as well to break up the old rust as the vinegar breaks it down.

if you have the means, mod a pvc tank in its place. build a metal frame, mount it to the mower chasis, drop in your new tank.

i dont know how well gas tank sealers work (liner in a can) from what i see online they start around 30.00. you might be able to find a whole new tank for that cost.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-17-2012, 10:00 PM
you can always youtube some great tips too. maybe look into cleaning rusty gas tank moped or something on youtube for some info.

edit: "you can soak it in vinegar and shake it as well to break up the old rust as the vinegar breaks it down."

meant: "you can soak it in vinegar and fill it with the bolts/gravel, etc. and shake it as well to break up the old rust as the vinegar breaks it down."

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
I think ill just replace it. I found aftermarket tanks for $25 and OEM for $60. They come with new filter and cap. I didnt think they were going to be that cheap. There all metal though so I might have this problem again.

Steve
06-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Do most of these tank rusting issues come about because these engines are left without gas in the tank for long durations of time and condensation builds up in them? So if you keep it filled with gas, will it slow down the rusting process?

wandfsmall
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Do most of these tank rusting issues come about because these engines are left without gas in the tank for long durations of time and condensation builds up in them? So if you keep it filled with gas, will it slow down the rusting process?

yes but if you fill them with gas you have bad gas in the spring... I do not think you have a good fix to the gas tank problem other then use plastic tanks.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-18-2012, 09:08 PM
bigger problems today. So about a hour into a job all of a sudden no pressure. I checked hoses, tips and switched wands, nothing but a little stream of water.

I did notice a few things.

1 the water coming out of the gun was warm. It did cool down after a few minutes. I dont know if this is from the pump warming it or the well water itself.

2 There wasnt a lot of water pressure from the spigot. If I had to guess 3-4 gallons a minute.

willshome
06-19-2012, 07:10 PM
have you used it at a different house yet?

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-19-2012, 07:42 PM
have you used it at a different house yet?

nope I fired up the back up which only puts out 2 gpm. I asked the repair people and they said it cost more to rebuild then buy a new one. When I mentioned the well, they said thats what did it.

When I researched pump rebuilding, it seems pretty easy a few valves and pistons. I guess when the grease breaks down they stick and sometime only need cleaning and new grease.

bruces
06-19-2012, 08:01 PM
do you ha\ve an inlet water filter or screen ? depending on the source of your water ,even city water ,will clog the screen with crap essentially starving your pressure washer .Its the first thing to check .