PDA

View Full Version : Name Change/Incorporating

sunsetlandscaping
06-15-2012, 09:16 AM
I have a DBA right now of Sunset Landscaping and want to Inc. to cover my assets. The name of Sunset Landscaping is already taken in my state and I have already had signs made and everything. What would be a good name to go with that would be similiar to avoid changing over completely, I was thinking something like Sunset Yardscaping? I don't know, any suggestions?

Steve
06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Yikes. The thing about that is, you gotta be careful when you incorporate that name if it is going to be similar because that company who has the name you wanted, could come after you once they find you and try to force you to change your name.

You may need to find a different name that wouldn't be confused with a currently operating business in your state.

w0283767
06-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Do they operate in your market area? You may be able to still use if there is no overlap in market area.

sunsetlandscaping
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I just changed it to : Sunset Landscaping And Lawn Care, LLC . I figure what the hell, "add lawn care in there too, and people will stop thinking I only do landscaping." Problem solved thanks everyone.

dpld
06-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Yikes. The thing about that is, you gotta be careful when you incorporate that name if it is going to be similar because that company who has the name you wanted, could come after you once they find you and try to force you to change your name.

You may need to find a different name that wouldn't be confused with a currently operating business in your state.

i agree with steve, i would come up with a new name entirely.

my whole life when i think i made something unique and see that i was not the only one who thought of it i usually scrap the idea.

there are two theory's to the similar name thing.
1. people might think you are them and call you by accident and you might inadvertently get some work.
2. people might call them thinking it was you and they get your work and even worse he may be screwing people all over town and they mistake you for him.

i know a guy who had premier tree and landscape services and there was a guy two towns away named premier landscape services.

the guy who was premier landscape service was taking deposits for big jobs and not showing up and he was not paying his creditors and screwing people all over the place.
well my buddy with the tree and landscape service started having all the people after the other guy after him and even though he eventually cleared things up it was two years of total bullcrap and harrassing phone calls that he was subjected to proclaim his innocence.

that is why i use my real name because no one can take that away from you and if someone got my same name as me and he has a problem with that then we will need to have a battle royale over it.