PDA

View Full Version : Hired some more Help :-)

Sprinkler Buddy
06-14-2012, 05:53 PM
My twins, 12 yrs old, have been wanting to make some $$$. I have spent the week training them how to mow, weed-eat, edge, and blow wherever possible.

They busted their butts this week, I am shocked how quickly they are picking the skills up. I can't get over watching my little guys on these big mowers. They are so eager to learn and love doing it.

Proud Daddy!

w0283767
06-14-2012, 06:16 PM
That's awesome man! Sounds like u have two summer helpers now!

jrayb39667
06-14-2012, 06:49 PM
I know the feeling. My 13 yr old son is helping me and he surprised me with how fast he picked it up. He loves to ride the ZTR but severely dislikes the weed eater lol.

Cashin H&P
06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
I use my brother as summer help je is 14 family is always good help. haha

Steve
06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Do you find training younger teens to work with lawn care equipment is different than training adults? If so were there any special points you had to be clear on with them before they got started?

CHEESE2009
06-15-2012, 01:45 PM
I remember one year I let a kid make a few bucks, he was awesome - but it felt wrong because it was illegal LOL.

I think he was 11 years old, cutting a few lawns just by himself. It was very nice to see, so I stopped to chat, gave a few hints etc. Then his mother asked if he could join me on certain days.

So instead of him spending his entire weekend cutting a couple of lawns for peanuts, he would work 6 hours with me and make $100. The kid was thrilled, but then I had to let him go because he wasn't able to work on the days I would have liked (he had 'soccer' and I couldn't tire him out).

Great kid, in a few years I would surely hire him again.

Sprinkler Buddy
06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Do you find training younger teens to work with lawn care equipment is different than training adults? If so were there any special points you had to be clear on with them before they got started?

They have no bad habits to break. Too many special points given to list! Lol

I stopped them both a few times pointing out why and how they should do it like this.

jrayb39667
06-15-2012, 08:05 PM

The only difference with the training is I had to teach him how to do things that I can physically do but he's not strong enough to do yet. My main focal point with him has been QUALITY!!! I stress this to the max.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Who wouldve thought the place to find good help is the ice cream truck.

Sprinkler Buddy
06-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Who wouldve thought the place to find good help is the ice cream truck.

No, Those kids are going to be working for mine one day. Right now, most of them are busy playing video games and talking about how bored they are after the first few days of summer break. Or worse!

The Cleaning Doctor
06-16-2012, 09:10 AM
I know that they are your kids and all but there are labor laws that you need to look into. I remember it from years ago and it has to do with the type of machinery that children work around. Just check into it to keep yourself out of trouble. I specificall remember lawn mowers mentioned. That was also back when people would cut their feet off with a mower.

Your state laws may be even more restrictive. Hell in Connecticut you can't work until you are 14.... period.\

So be careful. I would hate to see someone lose their business and in some cases freedom because of some stupid government meddling.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Your state laws may be even more restrictive. Hell in Connecticut you can't work until you are 14.... period.\

So be careful. I would hate to see someone lose their business and in some cases freedom because of some stupid government meddling.
A local tree guy lost his 7 yr old in a wood chipper accident recently. It cant get any worst then that.

Sprinkler Buddy
06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
I hear ya, they are just hanging with dad.

The Cleaning Doctor
06-19-2012, 09:37 AM
A local tree guy lost his 7 yr old in a wood chipper accident recently. It cant get any worst then that.

You have that right.