PDA

View Full Version : private forum

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-13-2012, 10:08 PM
we need a private forum around here. this way people can't look up our company names on search engines and find us posting here.

otherwise, are we able to change our ID or cancel the ID and start a new one?

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-14-2012, 12:21 AM
not true at all, if you think "people will not google you up,"

using the web to investigate a company or person happens more and more all over the world today. one should not assume that people in his area aren't looking up he or his company on the internet, unless he assumes his audience to be that vapid.

if the site doesn't spider, then that helps, but i would still like to see a private forum or have a way to change my ID around here.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Unless your badmouthing your customers, why would it be a problem? I use my name on all lawn care, truck, tractor, forums. Part of the reason is for a web presence.

Hedgemaster
06-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Because sometimes it's nice to just "talk" to each other here without fears of self-censorship.

Even a lighthearted joke could be seen negatively by a client/potential client.

A "Lounge" section that is only viewable by members would be nice. I've mentioned this before, as we have it on a forum I moderate.

CHEESE2009
06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
I love badmouthing clients lol.

w0283767
06-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Isn't having your site in signature good for backlinks? If you are that worried about it just use two accounts and only post unprofessionally on that one. Or just use anonymous one all the time.

CHEESE2009
06-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Isn't having your site in signature good for backlinks? If you are that worried about it just use two accounts and only post unprofessionally on that one. Or just use anonymous one all the time.

Having your site posted on other sites is fantastic, but not when it's a site you go talking about how you're going to price your next clients job.

If I'm a client, and I saw this website where my lawn guy posted pictures of the job I asked him to do in order to find answers on how to do it, etc... Just seems bad. Wouldn't you agree?

You: Sure I can do it, for $100.00.
Client: Isn't that the price Cheese gave you?
You: ... yes. *run*

Next thing you know, your client makes an account here and starts talking about you on the forum LOL. Eliminating your freedom.

You could see posts like this

"Hey John, it's your client. Just wanted to know why you didn't show up? I know it rained, but can you please get back to me?"

If we saw a client come on this forum to harass one of us, I think the client would be terrified of how we'd all respond to him. He would fear for his life.

We'd write things like, "It's called rain (that stuff that soaks the grass) you stupid p.o.s, leave the guy alone and find something better to do. Sincerally, every other lawn guy":)

-

Then the client would go to the extreme of messaging Steve, "Hey can you get a hold of John for me, I'd like for him to call me."

-

You can then see a post in 'trials and tribulations'

"John didn't show up today. I am very disappointed" lolololOLOLollolol

w0283767
06-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Haha true that is a good point. That would be a. Funny prank to make an account posing as a customer. If that ever really happened though you are right the client would get hell unleashed on them from the forum members lol.

Grass Doctor
06-14-2012, 11:01 AM
that is why u have keep a professional attitude all the time, house, etc, not just when u r working.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-14-2012, 11:28 AM
that is why u have keep a professional attitude all the time, house, etc, not just when u r working.

agreed.

The only people I see this effecting is the ones that dont know anything. There going to hurt their business one way or the other.

If a client sees a few landscapers talking about work, different equipment and ways to improve production there wont be a issue.

Theres plenty of professional fields like doctors where your always finding new information and taking new courses to better serve your clients.

dpld
06-14-2012, 06:28 PM
i don't really see the big deal about posting on a site like this if you use your business name.
what would you be saying here that would be so bad? are you talking about having satanic ritual's ?

i personally would never refer to any customer by name and anything i would say here about a client i most likely already told them anyway. and if they pissed me off that much i would tell them to go screw because i don't work for azzclowns and i screen my clients just as they do to me because that is the beautifull thing about america, they have the choice to hire anyone they wish as well as i have the choice to work for who i wish.

all my clients are gold and cool as cool can be and when i do encounter a bad seed i cut them loose ASAP.

it would probably hurt a new guy with no experience if a prospective client saw a post by him asking for help about how to do a job because he had no clue.
maybe i am old fashioned or whatever but by the time you start a business there should be nothing in the trade that you would need to learn about how to do on any type of job because you should know how to do it long before you start the business in the first place.

but that is why so many fail because they start the business first and figure it out later as they go and by the time the figure it out they are broke and done.

stevef1201
06-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Let my customers read what I post, those that I post nasty about already know, and the rest will find out that I try to learn new things that will eventually help them

stevef1201
06-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I am not saying it doesnt happen but it definitely is not as big of a problem as you think. For example, one of the biggest tree services here in atlanta (averaging 600k a month last year!) Has horrid reviews online and complants on the better business bureau. So how do they do soo much business then? They have 30 door to door sales guys and target affluent areas where ppl just need the work done. Now the cheap picky trash on craigslist might have time to pick at you but a doctor working 80 hours a week and making a quarter of a million a year+ is simply going to tell you to do the work and fire you if it isnt up to his standard. He doesn't have all day to google you.

even if your behavior here was horrid it might affect 1 in 100 potiental clients at best

You are soooooooooo right

CHEESE2009
06-14-2012, 08:17 PM
We have different opinions I suppose.

Personally, I love the freedom to talk about whatever I want without even slight consequences.

What I love the most, is talking about what pisses me off, even if it's small! I love to complain and hate, and I can't go full on hater on this site.

All kidding aside, this is about being able to talk freely without restraints, so answers like "just don't say anything bad" is complete b.s Salisbury steak nutsack.

If someone gets shot and they say, "I'm dying, I don't want to die!" would you respond with, "Well then just don't die, duh".

lol

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/q92mornings/files/2012/05/boobs.jpg

CHEESE2009
06-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Don't watch your children at the park, because kidnapping is rare around here.

Don't eat with a fork, the food will end up in your stomach anyway.

Don't shower, you're just going to get dirty again.

Kill yourself, because you will die eventually.

Give me money.

^ this is horse sh^t.

-

I dislike smug tight a$$es, and you should too.

But boobies.

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/1929-468x-boobies.jpg

Hedgemaster
06-14-2012, 09:15 PM
We have different opinions I suppose.

Personally, I love the freedom to talk about whatever I want without even slight consequences.

What I love the most, is talking about what pisses me off, even if it's small! I love to complain and hate, and I can't go full on hater on this site.

All kidding aside, this is about being able to talk freely without restraints, so answers like "just don't say anything bad" is complete b.s Salisbury steak nutsack.

If someone gets shot and they say, "I'm dying, I don't want to die!" would you respond with, "Well then just don't die, duh".

lol

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/q92mornings/files/2012/05/boobs.jpg

Reminds me of a client - and some of the things I'd post if it were in a place not viewed by the public.

I mean, even if I weren't to post something "nasty", even something said in a joking manner (or even a factual thing that I'd like to comment on, but won't) could be taken the wrong way and thus the need to self-censor yourself. Sometimes it's nice to be able to "hang out" and speak freely.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-15-2012, 12:48 AM
a lot of these guys dont get it, think that it's some how unprofessional to have a private forum.. i call them "communists"

whats next? "we all bleed red" or "we're all a part of the human race?"

business professionals need a private place to talk about - BUSINESS!

in my contract i have a non-disclosure clause afterall. why? because i dont want my clients (now contracted - its working!) talking to other contractors about my rates/quotes, or telling potential referrals, "oh its great, my yard is (this big) and they do it all for (this price)"

that kind of talk can get other potential clients thinking youre going to give them allll the same treatment.

it's alllllll about being professional. business people do PRIVATE work. we're not working for frickin beer money here, this is our livelihoods.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-15-2012, 01:29 AM
communist lefties hate professionals. and i hate them back.

i dont see all these forums of doctors supposedly exchanging ideas freely and openly here online.

by the way, dr's DO NOT come up with new S__t

they go to school and do ONLY what they are taught.

labs and scientists come up with new stuff.

and they write the materials the dr's must learn

and mandate how the dr's can "practice"

irrelevant logic.

Hedgemaster
06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Why a members-only subforum?

How about this?
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=16769&page=2

Cashin H&P
06-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Hedge your right...so much for people being professional and having your company name on a website huh

dpld
06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
i for the life of me can not see any benefit there would be in a field as competetive as landscaping where a "private forum" would be of any use.

the only guys willing to share company information with other businesses are newbies.
no established company is going to offer start up advice or give pricing info or methodology to a potential competitor.

it is a fact of life and you might as well show them your client list while your at it and give them a atm card with a pin number from your account as well.

secondly, we are not considered professionals by the population at large and that professional mumbo jumbo is only mentioned at seminars and expos.
to the general population we are considered lawn monkeys and in their mind this is what you do when you failed at getting a education and a real job.

it is not the way i veiw myself or others but it is the way most people outside the trade do.

the only real difference between a big guy and a little guy is how big their business is and how organized they are and how much money they make and how many people they hire and how much equipment they have.

the way i see it i am driving down the road with a couple hundred thousand dollars of equipment and all my employees and pumping out 50 g's a month but in the end of the day outside of volume and being in business for my 23rd year i am no different then the guy going around with a push mower in a station wagon.
his mower cuts grass and so does mine and regardless of how long it takes either to do the job, the job gets done. when it is all said and done you can not command any more money for the lawn.

every level of business has it's pro's and con's and i remember when i was younger and starting out i used to think that when i finally had the amount of work i have and make the money i make now that i would be on easy street and sure i am making a good living but easy street it is not as well as i have far more things to worry about and cause me grief.
there is 10 times the pressure to keep things going and keep your employees busy as well as more things to break and repair.

when i was little and i was cutting the grass and doing most of the work nothing ever broke and even though i physically worked harder things went so much smoother.
now you got to keep up with your customers, equipment as well as always put fires out with your employee's and deal with all their personallity disorders.
when you have multiple employee's thing break more often as well as disappear more often and even though you can limit that it requires your time and constant attention that all adds up to one more thing to do each day on top of the already many things to do.

as far as a private forum is concerned it really don't matter and if it means that much to you to be concerned about people seeing what you say then maybe you should sign up again for the forum with a different name other then your business name.
it really is that easy.

the people i work for have far better and more important things to do in their lives then stalk their landscaper on the world wide web who they already think is beneath them and worry about what is being said about them.

my customers will do a background check and a credit check if they are that concerned and as long as they feel you are not america's most wanted or in dire straits financially where they have to worry about you robbing them and you do good work that is all they care about.

willshome
06-25-2012, 08:53 AM
dpld,
I understand thinking letting others knowing your "pricing info or methodology" is a problem but they can just have a friend call for a quote. I think talking to others and helping them understand the cost of doing business only helps all of us.
I don't mind losing a job to someone trying to make a real living but to someone charging $15 an hour is like having my job shipped to china

CHEESE2009
06-25-2012, 09:09 AM
To get back on track,

Some people believe privacy isn't an issue, and that our clients could care less about what we post.

Others would much rather not have their companies linked to this forum at all, and I don't need to explain why.

We can do our best to refrain from posting our information - but that would defeat the purpose of this forum. We need to post our material, and we often need second opinions on just about everything. Most importantly, we need a place to bi7ch and complain, because it's loads of fun to do!

"Your clients wouldn't care" is a slack solution.

Most forum members care about what their clients are capable of seeing, regardless if the chance is very low. Google absorbs everything, searching for your company name could show related posts you've made on this site, or even images you've uploaded.

I am going to predict the next pieces of conversation on this thread;

Nancy: "Well the poster should have known better".

My response to that: "Blow me, a lot of people are unaware of how the web works."

Nancy: "Well they should of learned how the web works, and not be such an idiot."

My response to that: "You are being rather pretentious. Some people take pride in knowing bits of information and actually decide to belittle everyone else who has no idea.. we can assume this person has a small penis.

Nancy: Only new business owners, or idiots would have something to hide.

My response to that: Get the f'k outta here. Seriously?

-

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/lol.jpg

-

Every time I post, I am taking a risk. Because I love you all <3

CHEESE2009
06-25-2012, 09:26 AM
For example.

I have nowhere to post half naked photos of 'friend'.

You have to resort to this :(

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/lol.jpg

Privacy would be nice, no?

dpld
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
dpld,
I understand thinking letting others knowing your "pricing info or methodology" is a problem but they can just have a friend call for a quote. I think talking to others and helping them understand the cost of doing business only helps all of us.
I don't mind losing a job to someone trying to make a real living but to someone charging $15 an hour is like having my job shipped to china

it is not really a question of wanting to share information or not i don't really care about that.
the answers to what to charge are right there for anyone with business sense to figure out.
operating costs are the determining factor in what to charge and my information as to what my cost are and what determines my price is useless for anyone else.
what i mean is that i have 8 employee's plus myself and with all the equipment and insurance and payroll and taxes all add up to a different number then a guy with 20 employees or just by himself.

we can all charge the same rate that the market will bare and we do but how we use that and convert that to your own particular situation varies greatly.

lets say you charge 60.00 per hour labor rate per man and you go do something by yourself and i charge the same but have my 8 employees and myself.
you price the lawn for 60.00 and it takes you a hour you did well, you worked a hour and got payed your rate a hour.
in my situation i obviously with the large crew will get things done lickity split but i have to and a 60.00 lawn needs to be done in like 7 minutes.

i know it is not the best of examples because i do commercial work and would not be sending 8 guys to cut a sixty dollar lawn.

with all that said, i would always be willing to help someone and offer advice and give them the information they need to figure it out but there are some things you just don't talk about.
money is generally a private thing, it is just like when you work somewhere and someone says " hey what is the boss paying you per hour? " it is none of your business.

this forum and forums just like it are very usefull and provide a good means for guys in the trade to talk shop, vent frustrations, equipment issues, plant health care issues and general business talk. but some things in life you got to figure out for yourself and there are no free passes and the sometimes horrible experiences of pricing poorly need to be lived in order to make your business strong and prosper.
plus, to top it off we are all over the country and canada on this forum and the costs of insurance's and taxes and regulations from region to region as well as what each regions market will bare vary so greatly all our numbers would not jive anyway.

Hedgemaster
06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
"Talk shop" sometimes includes things that may not be obscene, yet may not be viewd favorably by someone on the "outside".

I could give two sh!ts about "trade secrets", but it would be nice to have a place to speak freely, without concern for who may be listening.

I like you guys and would like to "hang out" and tell you about the lady in the bikini top, but that just wouldn't be acceptable to some people - even if I said it without being crude.

CHEESE2009
06-25-2012, 08:19 PM
If she spat in my food, does that mean we kissed?

CHEESE2009
06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Yes and you now have hepatitis without even getting to the fun part.

It's kind of like having super powers, powers to make other people ill.

Optimism at its best!

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-25-2012, 10:38 PM
yes, we need a private area in these forums. just one forum thats not indexed by google. just one portion of the site.

people who want to post in it can. others who dont, dont have to.

i bet it would take right off though. no doubt.

Shark1611
06-25-2012, 10:45 PM
we need a private forum around here. this way people can't look up our company names on search engines and find us posting here.

otherwise, are we able to change our ID or cancel the ID and start a new one?

I agree. I asked the same question about a year ago. Glad I am not alone.

Hedgemaster
06-25-2012, 10:48 PM
On a forum I moderate, the "Lounge" is an "off-topic" section, so anything unrelated to the main focus of the forum can go there.
It gets more leeway on what is posted there, as it's not viewed by the public, yet forum rules still apply. (no nudity, excessive profanity, harassment, etc)

It works because it keeps all the "nonsense" in one place and doesn't reflect poorly on the forum in general since only members can view it. (and the threads/posts don't appear on searches as far as I know)

Anyway, it's Steve's house and he can do as he pleases.
My input has been given. If it happens, it happens, if not, I'll just try to be good and pretend I'm perfect.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-25-2012, 10:51 PM
what forum do you moderate at? a certain level of privacy is something i'd move around to find if it doesn't come our way.

Hedgemaster
06-25-2012, 10:52 PM
what forum do you moderate at? a certain level of privacy is something i'd move around to find if it doesn't come our way.

It's not related to lawn care - at all.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-25-2012, 11:02 PM
doh! :) :P

CHEESE2009
06-26-2012, 08:42 AM
If it happens, it happens, if not, I'll just try to be good and pretend I'm perfect.

You are perfect in my eyes.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MZdqk6kRJMs/Tknv9tk9j4I/AAAAAAAAAgo/LmXN_RY1ScE/s1600/creepy-man.jpg
pictured above: me saying that sentence.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-26-2012, 08:59 AM
i can feel the love again.

Grass Doctor
06-27-2012, 12:16 AM
why will i want to have a private forum, the only think i can relate to the user of this site or forum, its our line of work and want to learn from others experiences what will be the main focus, of it ***** or nudity if i want that i have the cyberspace or better real life, a private forum for what, i will probably never get in it, for real what kind of beer i drink o i forgot i am a bad alcoholic so i stop drinking that will befit the purpose of our main common topic, work.

believe me and u already now this a very competitive business and even in this forum we still compete in many ways.:D

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-27-2012, 03:01 AM
if you guys don't understand that business is PRIVATE, then what more can i say? it's like banging my head into a brick wall on this thread.

to all of you, not just you dr. grass - i am not just writing back to you - if you don't get it by now, one last time - the (caps are used politely to express a point, not to yell) IDEA is THIS,

we as users, have access to, one forum which is NOT public to all other users (i.e. non registered users, google indexing services, etc.)

the forum is still public, but one "part" of the forum is "members only"

one last time, this "members only" forum is not accessible to non-registered users or google and other search engine indexing.

the search engine indexing is really my only concern.

but again, some of you guys just miss the mark on this idea. i don't know why. i won't bash anyone or put you guys down who don't get it, even though it's such a basic concept that a child would understand it, but it's probably time i found another forum. i am obviously incompatible with the majority (not all) member base of this forum. it's me, not you, i guess. i would like something more than what some of you people are used to having.

i've said pretty much everything i have to say in this thread. i'm outta here.

Hedgemaster
06-27-2012, 08:04 AM
http://dl3.glitter-graphics.net/pub/708/708353ktyzp004l8.gif

:D :D :D

dpld
06-27-2012, 09:13 AM
if you guys don't understand that business is PRIVATE, then what more can i say? it's like banging my head into a brick wall on this thread.

to all of you, not just you dr. grass - i am not just writing back to you - if you don't get it by now, one last time - the (caps are used politely to express a point, not to yell) IDEA is THIS,

we as users, have access to, one forum which is NOT public to all other users (i.e. non registered users, google indexing services, etc.)

the forum is still public, but one "part" of the forum is "members only"

one last time, this "members only" forum is not accessible to non-registered users or google and other search engine indexing.

the search engine indexing is really my only concern.

but again, some of you guys just miss the mark on this idea. i don't know why. i won't bash anyone or put you guys down who don't get it, even though it's such a basic concept that a child would understand it, but it's probably time i found another forum. i am obviously incompatible with the majority (not all) member base of this forum. it's me, not you, i guess. i would like something more than what some of you people are used to having.

i've said pretty much everything i have to say in this thread. i'm outta here.

your right, business is private and there are some things that will not be discussed whether the forum is members only or not.

you need to be a member to post here so what would stop someone from being a member just to veiw the posts? oh, i get it we just have to show our landscapers license and expiration date prior to signing up and that will weed out all the undesireables.

i take exception to what you say and maybe you are right that you need another forum.
unlike you or any others that are web site obsessed i come here for pleasure to discuss whatever i see intrests me with people who have the same landscapers mindset as myself.

i been around a lot longer then the internet and although it has its uses you don't need it to survive or make a buck and trust me when i say it that it is not gonna get you away from those push mowers or bent shaft string trimmers any time soon unless you have the cash and you are useing the internet shopping for a real mower.

i don't think it is a matter of anyone getting it or not as much as it don't really matter or at least as much as you think it does.

you say you don't want to bash anyone but yet you do, you say that a child could understand it and maybe, just maybe that is who would only care about it.
it seems today the younger you are the more important and critical the internet is and that is where the trouble lies because it is not that important.
go back 20 years and nobody had a cell phone or a computer because it was too expensive and still not developed to what it is today and the world did just fine.
people still got to where they needed to go and people still found the goods and services they desired and businesses still made piles of money.
fast forward to today, and people can not go anywhere without haveing their phone glued to their heads or fingers tapping away at it and if they are not out and about they are glued to their computers chatting away.

people today have no social skills, are nasty to one another and can not think for themselves or do a dam thing without the internet and the biggest drop off in our society as a whole and what it has become directly coincides with the information age.

back in my day we still networked with our competitors and other businesses but we had organized groups and did it locally and face to face and as much as i like places like this, it is not nearly as effective as it was when we did it the way we did back then.

the advantage i see from this today is i get to converse with other landscapers from coast to coast and north to south as well as some of our neihbors to the north in canada.
it gives me great insight to how different the trade is from region to region in priceing and how long the work season is as well as if someone buys a new machine that i may be interested in i get to ask them questions and get their review.
for example: i have always used the big walk behind bed shapers and they work very well and are powerfull and are excellent for cutting new beds and other then that we would use the string trimmer for touch ups.
i got intrested in the stick edgers and asked around on this site and everyone gave high marks.
so i bought a couple of them and they work great and are faster then the string trimmer and my guys love them.
they can not shine the bed shapers shoes for big jobs with a lot of cutting but they are worth every penny.
i probably would have bought them anyway but it was nice having a place to get some feed back.

i am making high six digits a year and not one dime of it comes from the internet or my " web site " even though i do have one it is there for information purposes for potential customers to familiarize themselves more with my company before we meet face to face.

selling a job is gonna come from how much personallity you have and your abillity to sell a job and deal with people as well as delivering on your promises and no web site or goole search engine is gonna do that for you.
this industry revolves around human interaction.

once again if you are worried about search engine indexing then use a different name because maybe i am od fashioned or " just don't get it " as you would say but i would never use my business name or full personal name on the internet with the exception of my web site.

you are free to go where you like and you are free to stay that is your choice but i think you need to step back a little and smell the roses and enjoy what we have here because what you are looking for i am afraid you are never going to find and if you do find it i think you will discover it is not gonna help you as much as you think it will.

CHEESE2009
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
As a businessman, I believe that if this site were to offer anything more to us, it would come with a fee.

There is no justification for making something extra for us to utilize, with absolutely no return value.

"If something works, don't fix it"

A private section would be lovely, and if users are paying for its use, then we would be 'recurring' users who have a better chance of not abandoning the site (once again this sill doesn't matter, yet).

With a private section, the site would be able to generate an extra source of income that doesn't involve selling ad-space, and that's nice!

This is the only way adding a private section could ever be justified:
I would charge a fee, and I would also have several rules.
Rule #1 would allow for me to manipulate certain private posts (replacing company names and private info) so that I could continue to have content for the non-private area, blog, and YouTube channel.

How much are we willing to pay? Personally I hate paying for stuff, but I also love this site very much, and I would like to see it develop.

A good example of why we would pay to be apart of this site:
This site is established, and generates massive amounts of users - this is helpful to us all. Just like sub-contracting, we work for someone else who can provide jobs (users) that we wouldn't be able to obtain without it.

So now the real question is, how much are you willing to pay to continue talking to me? :D How much money is it worth to have a social network completely related to what we do for a living?

YES Facebook is free, but it doesn't compare. This site full-on caters to our minority, and it's worth something to have that.

Hedgemaster
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
This really is a very simple concept that need not be as complicated as anyone is making it.

I know of forums that require a fee, or a certain number of posts to gain access to the "private" section. I wouldn't pay a fee unless the return was worth it - a private sub-forum is not worth a fee to me.
"Post count" access just creates post whores and "PLUS 1!" posts from mindless idiots in order to gain access to the section where the "Babes Pics" are posted.

The forum I moderate simply has a "Lounge" - no fees, no secret handshake, and nothing to "hide". It's simply a section for off-topic threads. Those threads are not searchable, thus keeping it from muddying the waters when people are searching for something that the forum's main focus is about.

Religious discussions, photos of a family trip, questions about car trouble, and yes, a "babe" thread. (no nudity) These are the sorts of things you find in the Lounge. Say what you want there - nobody else will see it.

I dunno... maybe not enough people are familiar with the concept.

CHEESE2009
06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
In general, if people want a private section and don't have a private section - these people are unhappy!

people are unhappy

It doesn't matter if some people could live without a private section, its honestly not about them.

It's just as silly as saying, "I want eggs for breakfast" and then someone responding with, "You don't need eggs, you should be like us and eat cereal".

Everything is an opinion, and that's what people here are forgetting. The opinion of those who don't care to have a private section aren't helping in any way.

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1310480585093.jpg

Steve
06-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Well let's try this out. I changed the off topic section to private http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I am hoping it doesn't quickly turn into a free for all. We all have to remember there is a wide demographic group of readers.

dpld
06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
i could care less if it were to lead to a fee and i fully understand the concept.
i have several other sites that i frequent that have those sections and other then language there really is no benefit.

one site the lounge section usually gets shut down because even for a lounge section they take it too far.

this is a landscape forum for god's sake what the heck would someone be talking about that is so bad or private that would require membership like a **** site?

if it is that graphic in nature or something you wanted to talk about in business that you did not want to discuss with a large crowd but needed to speak to someone specific you can PM them.

i am not against the idea but at the same time it is the farthest least important thing from my mind and i would think isolateing people would be the opposite of what the owner of this site intended it for in the first place.

i mean, currently it is open for all and whether you are dreaming about starting a landscape biz, a homeowner, a single push mower outfit or a full blown money making landscape machine of a company. what criteria will be used to determine the user is a landscape professional and not a home owner trying to slip in and hear about all of our incriminating details?

would we have to mail a company T shirt to the admin for approval? or would we need to send a jpg of our fancy lettered up truck with us standing next to it with todays newspaper attached to our application?.

Hedgemaster
06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
You're taking this "secrecy" thing way too literally.

dpld
06-27-2012, 05:34 PM
You're taking this "secrecy" thing way too literally.

i am just having fun with it, what else is there to do?

plus i am not the one with those concerns.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
the benefits of having a forum that is NOT indexed by search engines for new users, who are interested in learning how to properly estimate jobs alove justifies having ONE area of a website that is not indexed/spidered by google, bing, yahoo, etc.

if a company "has been around since before the internet" then the people behind it will quickly find themselves on the way out if they refuse to be willing to adapt to new ideas and concepts in business, as times have changed and people want to do business with people who understand how to properly use the technologies of todays modern world.

we are allll networking here as competitors, of course. it has to be done! you look MORE professional by being able to say "i cant handle that, but i know a crew who can, let me pass you in their direction," which comes from networking. i am not denying, griping, talking about or arguing with networking!

again, the idea is not to seclude people from other businessmen - christ on a cracker, it's to not be indexed by search engines only.

to not be indexed by search eniges.

it's not about some "weird secrecy" for us to be nefarious, irresponsible goons.

it's for business matters that busi9nessmen would rather talk only with other businessmen.

if you dont understand how a search engine indexes websites, than you are behind the curve of modern technology.

there's nothing wrong with not knowing that, as you can learn.

if you do not want to learn, you do not want to evolve, then you miss out.

me? i learn something new everyday. i am a grown, 33 year old man, and i keep learning non stop. i still read books, i dont watch tv, and i eat up information by the spoonful.

i digress.

i would like to thank steve for giving it a shot. at least he understands that it isn't about people wanting to be morons on his forum. hopefully the rest of you do as well.

and lastly, if you folks dont want to use the private sub forum, then don't use it! simple math!

it bewilders me that this thread has taken up 6 pages of conversation and over 1,000 views! wow. that says a lot about something

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
this thread should be moved into the private forum, if you ask me.

CHEESE2009
06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
this thread should be moved into the private forum, if you ask me.

I was slowly reading all the new posts, and this one made me spill my glass of water man... LMFAO

Good one!