PDA

View Full Version : Toro Timecutter 30"

mark123
06-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I got done early today. The stars were aligned, no one talked to me, the lawns were dry, etc. So I decided to browse the local yokel Toro dealer. The 30" Personal Pace Toro mower looked kind of intriguing. I asked when the Pro version would be out and the sales guy told me that is the pro version. I don't think that is true though. I'm pretty sure it isn't.

I told him the personal pace mowers are too slow and just hold me back. If I'm going to get a bigger small mower like that then why not get one that can keep up with me.

Anyway, he challenged me on that and had me run it on the parking lot. It did go faster than my old personal pace 21" mower but still wasn't up to full-on, balls-out speed that I go with my 36". He said that it looked like I could barely keep up with it. I think he was trying to convince himself because there was no convincing me. :p

I did like the idea though and will check out if they come out with a pro version but it will probably be about $2500.

wandfsmall
06-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Toro calls that a homeowner unit and you should find it just under $1000. At least as far as I know they do not make the Personal Pace units in commercial grade.

HOWEVER you see pro written on a lot of homeowner stuff to make it sound like it will last longer. I have a rule that if they print pro on the equipment it most likely is not commercial grade.

Localboyslawn
06-13-2012, 11:32 AM
I have that mower & its amazing in dry conditions. Makes the lawns look great & it's pretty fast. The big plus aside from the wide cut is the big bag. Con: It's terrible in even slightly wet grass. My nickname for it is the clog-a-matic 3000. As far as the personal pace system though, it will slow you down because you'll never get a nice clean cut at full speed.

mark123
06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Toro calls that a homeowner unit and you should find it just under $1000. At least as far as I know they do not make the Personal Pace units in commercial grade.

HOWEVER you see pro written on a lot of homeowner stuff to make it sound like it will last longer. I have a rule that if they print pro on the equipment it most likely is not commercial grade.
Yeah, I questioned the whole deal because it said Personal Pace. It is homeowner grade but the guy wanted to sell it so bad that he told me the warranty was 3 years for commercial. I think he was lying. Wouldn't be my first negative run in with that fellow.

I have that mower & its amazing in dry conditions. Makes the lawns look great & it's pretty fast. The big plus aside from the wide cut is the big bag. Con: It's terrible in even slightly wet grass. My nickname for it is the clog-a-matic 3000. As far as the personal pace system though, it will slow you down because you'll never get a nice clean cut at full speed.

Thank you for this information. It looked like a nice unit but I'd wear it out in about 3 weeks.

CHEESE2009
06-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Personal pace is basically on all lawn mowers except the ones you actually have to physically push to move it forward.

Depending on how tight I hold the bars together, the speed varies. I run my equipment at max all the time (you'll see 1,2,3, and neutral on your machine), but I can still go slow if I use less pressure. :)

As for mowers that actually have 'personal pace' written on them, Toro cleverly uses that as a brand name for some mowers, and I believe they are not commercial grade.

Most resi units are full on plastic wheels and all, most commercial equipment uses plastic to only cover engines and nothing really more than that and the decks are thicker.

Hedgemaster
06-13-2012, 10:46 PM
I looked at one while I was at my dealer. I wasn't looking to buy - just curious.
It feels heavy as heck, but I didn't run it. One had dirt on the wheels. I should have asked if it's a demo and took it for a spin.

I hear more bad than good about these mowers, so I'm much less interested than I was initially.

Mark, your dealer's employee should get a job holding a sign for a "Going Out of Business" sale at a traffic light somewhere because he'd be better qualified for THAT.

wandfsmall
06-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I questioned the whole deal because it said Personal Pace. It is homeowner grade but the guy wanted to sell it so bad that he told me the warranty was 3 years for commercial. I think he was lying. Wouldn't be my first negative run in with that fellow.

I am surprised you even talk to him. If I ever caught an employee of mine lying about equipment he would be looking for a new job. I would rather loose a sale then have a unhappy customer out due to a lie.

mark123
06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I am surprised you even talk to him. If I ever caught an employee of mine lying about equipment he would be looking for a new job. I would rather loose a sale then have a unhappy customer out due to a lie.

When I go there for parts I do try to avoid him but the lady at the counter called him over. I wanted to get bow in his direction and then unleash the TIGER FIST OF VENGEANCE!!!!!!!