PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting governor

wat5150
06-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Hey do any of you guys ever adjust your governor to get a little more rpm? I know you arent supposed to make them wide open but I think my engine could take a few more rpm. Its a kawasaki 22hp ohv. Ive just been mowing a lot of tall grass lately and it bogs a little and I have to go over certain areas a couple of times. My blades could use a little sharpening but I really dont think thats the main problem. I want to tweak the gov and get a few more rpms.

wandfsmall
06-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey do any of you guys ever adjust your governor to get a little more rpm? I know you arent supposed to make them wide open but I think my engine could take a few more rpm. Its a kawasaki 22hp ohv. Ive just been mowing a lot of tall grass lately and it bogs a little and I have to go over certain areas a couple of times. My blades could use a little sharpening but I really dont think thats the main problem. I want to tweak the gov and get a few more rpms.

Engines have a torq curve, more rpms do not equal more power. do you know what rpm the engine is set at now?

wat5150
06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I think its at 3500 or 3600. Not sure. I messed with it today. Blades are coming off and getting some serious sharpening. Could be the problem. Im trying out these "Gator" like blades. Not real impressed. Im going to sharpen them up anyway and see what happens. Ive hit couple rocks past few days. Hate that ****.

jrayb39667
06-12-2012, 10:57 PM
wandfsmall is right. if you increase the RPM of the motor past 3600 RPM you're going to start losing torque which will cause your mower to bog down even easier in taller grass. This will also cause a much shorter life span for your bearings in your motor, pulleys & spindles. I don't know if it would affect the pumps if you have a ZTR.

wandfsmall
06-13-2012, 07:26 AM
I think its at 3500 or 3600. Not sure. I messed with it today. Blades are coming off and getting some serious sharpening. Could be the problem. Im trying out these "Gator" like blades. Not real impressed. Im going to sharpen them up anyway and see what happens. Ive hit couple rocks past few days. Hate that ****.

I have seen some of the Gator clones that are junk and can bog an engine. In fact some of the gator versions are not the best blades on the market. It all depends on what your cutting and your mower setup. But I can assure you that cranking your engine up is not the answer. I have gotten more then one trade in mower from customers doing exactly that and wondering why they cut worse after they cranked them up. It is an easy fix other then the life of the mower was shortened.

wat5150
06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Ok. Thanks for the input. Im going to switch out my blades in a week or two. For now Im going to sharpen the gators.

Steve
06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
So ultimately, the governor is not there to limit your speed but more there to keep the engine running at it's optimal rpm? Is that right?

jrayb39667
06-13-2012, 10:53 PM
So ultimately, the governor is not there to limit your speed but more there to keep the engine running at it's optimal rpm? Is that right?

That's correct Steve. I'm an electrician as my main job. This is true for ALL motors. once you pass the rated max speed rating you will start losing torque very quickly. Also if you run an engine at speeds faster than the max rated speed you will shorten the life tremendously.

wandfsmall
06-14-2012, 12:14 AM

yes you do have different curves for different engines so you do have engines that can go faster then others and still have power. But the gov is on the engine to get the most power out of the motor, not to stop you from getting more power.

Steve
06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I think the thing about this topic that confuses people is why aren't there governors on cars? Since there aren't governors on cars, then I think most people feel mower engines would work better without them.

wat5150
06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I wonder the same thing Steve. I changed out the blades today. WOW!!! What an incredible difference in performance and cutting. Those Gator knock offs suck. Complete junk in my opinion. I cant beleive they even make sh*t like that. They bogged down my mower, made me have to double back on my passes due to patches left behind and didnt hold an edge at all. I was blown away by the difference between the lame"Gators" and my stock cub cadet hi lift blades. I can blow through grass now. I used those others for like a month. I forgot what it was like to cut on the first pass!!!!!!

dpld
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I think the thing about this topic that confuses people is why aren't there governors on cars? Since there aren't governors on cars, then I think most people feel mower engines would work better without them.

most vehicles today have rev limiters that are controled through the speedo and computer.

a good portion of gm vehicles especially trucks use them as well as small vehicles like the chevy s-10 used them and they would kick in at like 92 mph and on bigger medium duty trucks like a cab over mason dump it would be more like 70 to 75 mph.

i had a gm cab over dump truck and we did a job a couple counties over and we had a long highway drive and once you got that truck rolling it would move along on the highway and being the speed limit was 65mph everyone was doing 70 to 75 and my trucks rev limiter would shut me down at exactly 74mph and i would have to slow down below 70mph for it to turn off.
i also had a 2003 dodge dakota that i bought new for a estimate vehicle and that thing would kick in at 73 mph.

rev limiters are used for many things depending on the type of motor and its application.
vehicles it it used more as a means of saftey in keeping people from driving 100+ mph and on power equipment it is used to keep the engine in the proper portion of the torque curve as well as prevent over speeding the engine.
most power equipment when it is in use is usually run wide open and without the limiter or govener which ever you like to call it motors would be popping like the fourth of july.

when we used to make mini bikes we would adjust the govener so the motor was screaming and it would lose a little overall power but when the thing got up to spped it would fly.
but then after a while we would blow the motor up and find another one on someones curb waiting for the garbage man in the form of a old snow blower of tractor.

wandfsmall
06-14-2012, 10:48 PM

A cars engine works a little different then a lawnmower. however if you took your car out in first gear and tried to run 60 mph what would happen? The engine would blow up. Well in a lawnmower the same thing happens.

wat5150
06-16-2012, 05:55 AM
I still cant believe how much better my mower is running and cutting. Cant believe put up with the old ones for a month. Anyway they were Gator knock offs. I forgot what company but they were yellow. I would stay away from these. Absolute sh*t in my opinion.