PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Succulents

Lance Lawn
06-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Just starting out here. I'm taking over a job where there is a patch of succulents in a triangle shape. Individually they're small but the patch is very thick. They're about a foot tall and the patch is in a triangle shape. Two of the sides are bordered by cement (driveway and walkway) but the diagonal goes on to the lawn.

I can trim the sides bordering the cement with an edger and it works very well but the diagonal on the grass is giving me problems. (The owner is a friend so I've got opportunities to screw up without heavy consequences.) Anyways, she told me she thought the previous gardener used a gas line trimmer to align the diagonal, I tried that and it was a nightmare (I wasn't able to keep it anywhere near straight and the succulents where getting thrown everywhere).

I'm getting a gas hedge trimmer in a couple of days, would that be the right tool to use? I know I can cut it with that but I'm not going to be able to go all the way to the ground. From what the owner told me it only took the previous gardener a minute or two to straighten the whole patch out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm including an image of something similar, not exactly it though.

Steve
06-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Hedgemaster??????

I'd try the hedge trimmer too. Take some before and after pictures of this, it's kinda hard to visualize the area you are talking about.

Grass Doctor
06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
yeah please take real fotos of the place and let us now what state are u in that will help me with my advise tour your cuestion .

Lance Lawn
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the replies, sorry I wasn't too clear. It's may be a couple of weeks before I can get pictures but I'll do that as soon as I can.

Lance Lawn
11-13-2012, 03:30 PM
It's been awhile since this came up but anyways if anyone is interested the hedge trimmers worked fine, like cutting a piece of pie.

I had thought there would be roots and I would have to get them from the bottom but the succulents had just grown out.

This is the before image:
http://i.imgur.com/wCkuQ.jpg

don't have an after

Steve
11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Well they look pretty :)