PDA

View Full Version : Leaf-blower question

3 to go
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
I know this is probably a silly question but I myself am a little unexperienced. I'm noticing other landscape companies nearby blow stuff into other peoples yards or into the street and leave it there. I have been spending a lot of time ensuring I don't do that. I don't want to leave it all in the street or in others yards but I'm probably spending too much time trying to contain everything. What is the accepted practice? Is there room for some to be in the street to be blown away?

CheapNEasy
06-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I personally never blow anything into the street, or others yards...

Here is a tip, mow your first two passes with the discharge into the lawn away from the street/driveway/flowerbeds. This will leave little to nothing to blow off.

I feel it reflects badly on me and my company for us to blow clippings into the street or others yards.

Plus its really just one of my pet peeves.

stevef1201
06-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I have ONE property that I blow debris into the street, The city runs a street sweeper on that road every sunday night (the day I mow), and there is a lot of traffic that blow it off. Other than that the residetia yards are always blown back onto the grass (except trash I pick that up)

3 to go
06-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the tip!

Hedgemaster
06-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Grass left on the street = Hack

My neighbor's lawn dorks not only leave clippings from trimming/mowing, but I saw the douchebags BLOW clippings out onto the street.

He's going to get a polite talking to the next time I see him.

3 to go
06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah, my husband and I had no intention of doing it and were appauled and the company blowing into neighbors yards but another landscape owner we met at Home Depot commented on the fact that we were buying a landscapers broom and heavy duty dustpan saying that we didn't need it, we should blow into the street. I should also mention that in my area it is mostly gravel, desert landscape so it's very little grass blown into the street, it's the debris from the gravel.

Thanks for the answers though. I appreciate all the help this site offers!

CHEESE2009
06-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I suppose it depends on how much you care about each individual client.

Going the extra mile and ensuring that every clipping is blown back into the lawn is great.

There is bad: leaving a fairly large visible mess.
there is acceptable: few spots here and there that fade into the concrete.
then there is perfect: clippings are blown back onto the lawn, large amounts are often raked up and bagged.

As long as you cleanup the majority of the clippings, it's safe to leave a small dusting of clippings on the street. So small, you can barely see it as it fades in with concrete, and blows away as cars drive by. This should be the minimum standard.

Personally, and in my area, I always cleanup, but I also have it difficult. During the winter, the city unloads tons and tons of gravel on the roads that is hardly removed during the summer. So if I use the blower, it often looks as though a smoke grenade has gone off. I do the best I can, without making it my job to clean up the mess of gravel :)

Steve
06-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I've seen lawn care companies blow debris into streets and into neighboring yards. I am always amazed when I see this and try to figure out what they are thinking. Most likely they just don't care about the image they project or they are inept.

CHEESE2009
06-12-2012, 02:00 PM
I've seen lawn care companies blow debris into streets and into neighboring yards. I am always amazed when I see this and try to figure out what they are thinking. Most likely they just don't care about the image they project or they are inept.

We can assume that these fellas are more concerned about their paycheck, as they are not the owner of the company.

Owners tend to had o.d.c when it comes to quality, but the staff don't give a crap, I can't really blame them as they aren't inspired.