PDA

View Full Version : going to kill myself - please, if youknow carbs, please lend assistence.. 2 days now

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-10-2012, 04:54 PM
OK

at a job my mower died.

i felt like a piece of crap.

called in backup and used their mower.

went home after job, started to disassemble mower.

mower= sears, eager-1 - tecumseh

took it apart down to removing the head.

minor wear inside piston cylinder.

removed and cleaned carb although it looked super-clean, removed and cleaned gas tank,

put it alll back together. linkage between carb & governor doesnt look right,

gas leaking out of air intake (right side of carb - tecumseh carb)

cannot get it to stop leaking.

internet says "it's a bad float!"

i check float in sink, it floats fine, not taking in water,

it can ONLY fit one way for installation so it is installed right side up,

bowl has a few bumps crafted into it, do not know if these matter.

i keep moving bowl (loosening jet bolt, turning bowl, tightening bolt again), adjusting it to see if these bumps matter, with no change in leakage.

as i near empty tank of gas, mower begins to start, but not enough gas to keep it going? not sure.

fill tank, pull engine, jack happens. nothing. gas leaks like a sieve.

this is day 2 of the project. i had a gig today but wont get it with my mower.

i feel like hanging myself, my son is upset, my house is a mess, my mower wont work - i keep trying on my own and in town noone knows how to help.

youtube education doesnt yield too much info, a lot of guys running their mouth on and on with little work being shown in mower repairs,

google just keeps giving me "float" problems & tecumseh diagrams, these diagrams dont help.

i need help, soif anyone knows how to work on their own EQ chime in. thanks.

it cant be this hard.

CheapNEasy
06-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Ok, well it seems the float is fine... but what about the needle? Maybe some trash keeping it from opening/closing all the way when the float raises and falls... Bad seat to the needle?

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I had this problem with a tecumseh carb but instead of finding the problem. I switched the carb from a parts mower. Sorry I cant be more help. It did fix the leaking.

myblacktruck
06-10-2012, 06:39 PM
There should be a rubber gasket where the bowl meets the carb make sure it went back in and not pinched. The deeper end of the bowl is the end the float drops down in. Did you put the needle and seat back in the right way? The wire spring goes on the little tab for the float. You said you took it all apart did you turn the needle screws back to where they were? I don't remember what factory specs are, its been about 25 years since vo-tech school and working on them but out 3/4 turns is stuck in my head. Not sure if any of this will help you all I can think of off top of my head

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-10-2012, 07:35 PM
my carb had NO needle/pin/etc.

all it had upon dissassembly was a bolt-jet, bowl & float.

UNLESS the carb itself has stuff built into it, but when i look online i see all these extra parts like needle, etc that mine does not have. :/

sometimes i really hate life. things like this are a reason why.

as for wire spring...

i have a wire sprintg as a part of my linkage system, but i can see noway that it connects to my carb as it has an *arm* it is connected to and mounts to the outside of the carb and really *now* does nothing at all.

WorkForMySelf
06-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I have alot of 2nd (and 3rd) hand equipment that sucks at times and I just run sea foam through it. IDk if you have not already tried it but give it a shot and you might just get lucky.

Steve
06-11-2012, 03:59 PM
i check float in sink, it floats fine, not taking in water,

Is it possible once installed the float is sticking and keeps letting gas flow in?

myblacktruck
06-11-2012, 06:36 PM
my carb had NO needle/pin/etc.

all it had upon dissassembly was a bolt-jet, bowl & float.

UNLESS the carb itself has stuff built into it, but when i look online i see all these extra parts like needle, etc that mine does not have. :/

sometimes i really hate life. things like this are a reason why.

as for wire spring...

i have a wire sprintg as a part of my linkage system, but i can see noway that it connects to my carb as it has an *arm* it is connected to and mounts to the outside of the carb and really *now* does nothing at all.

Well it sounds like they have changed since I last worked on them. The spring I was talking about was a small bent wire inside the bowl that attached to the float and the other end was a needle that as bowl filled float lifted pushing needle into carb shutting off fuel or slowing down rate of flow. If its not in there right it may not be shutting the fuel off. There should have been a rubber gasket where bowl meets carb its easy to miss or it may have been stuck then when you put it back together you may have pinched it letting fuel just run out. Good luck with this and this is just one of the many reasons I never continued with the repair side of this to many now why is it doing that things.