PDA

View Full Version : old idea reinvented

tmla89
06-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi guys got a lil idea i've come up with to gain new customers with hope's of receiving some feedback on how you think it may work. This idea stems from buying other company's out with a twist. Ive extened an offer to almost every person I know to tell ther family, freinds, coworkers and any one they here speaking about lawn care service or even if there not about my business. The people ive extended this offer simply tells them my number and that I do quality lawn care nothing else. If the person calls and I pick the yard up as a regualr cut I will pay my person 1month's of mowing for this said property. I think by offering this payment I could realy get a lot of people talking to aunts, uncles gradmaw's, etc about my business and passing on my name. what do you guys think about this?

JeffK26
06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
It's not that new of an idea. I give $20 gift cards for referrals. Most of my accounts are above $36 a cut. The only difference is, instead of a small gift card that isn't even the price of one mow, you're giving a whole month's salary away.

tmla89
06-08-2012, 09:45 PM
ya I thought some people may have tried the idea. I've bought two other business's out this year and the going rate seems to be 1 month's cut. I have found by offering this payment people have been looking at this like an actual part time job ive given them lots of cards and brocheurs. Im looking at this as any other sales job. one month is a small amount to me comsidering I feel a large majority of the customers I will be to keep for the long term. thanks for youre input

CHEESE2009
06-08-2012, 09:50 PM
After a month, the client fires you lololol :(

Grass Doctor
06-09-2012, 12:13 AM
i believe this is a good marketing technique, but risky, this will only work whit ur very establish clientele (the ones, that have being whit you for over a year, those that need you and like you, you know who they are, those are the ones that deserved incentives like this, just because they deserved i will do that if i was a little bigger but i am a small operation i cant afford to give away an entire month of lawn service,if u are big buddy and can afford it go ahead, other wise u can screw your self, like cheese said what if they fire u next month:confused:

dpld
06-09-2012, 11:31 AM
it sounds like double the work for half the money and if you had a big push in business as a result it might get costly and become very unprofitable.

what happens if you got 25 new lawns to mow from it?
you would have 50 lawns to cut and they might be scattered around the county.

sometimes people get lucky but the lawn business is a marathon to get clients and not a horse race.
if you trully want to do it and are prepared to make the sacrifice you have to be able to wait it out.

just do great quality work and make no comprimise to quality and in a few years you will have what you want.

outside of landscape construction the prices in this industry have been stagnant for the last 30 years and the typical prices out there are equivilant to sale prices.
good quality reliable service is the only way to seperate yourself from the competitors.

unless you want to gather clients by doing 30.00 lawns for 20.00 which equades to about a 31% discount on a already low profit margin price that will cause you more grief then it will save you.

when i started out if i had to worked a couple jobs on the side and i waited it out and advertised like eveyone else did and did my target marketing but i did not get involved in gimmicks.

now i have a excellent large client base with relationships built on trust and quality and when they want something done they just say do it and know that i am gonna get it done right and not rip them off.
i don't even have to give them a quote most of the time.

CHEESE2009
06-09-2012, 12:01 PM
What you can do;

Raise your price so that you are 'expensive', then offer a discount. Win-Win.

-TRUTH-

The problem with offering things for free, is that clients will always come to expect it from you, and will be very disappointed if you aren't going to continue giving them deals. Some clients will become so upset about the situation that they will hire a competitor - because they take it personal when you will no longer 'go out of your way' for them. Regardless if the competitor is cheaper, the pathetic client just wants to reestablish his/her pride.

If you do something for free, expect to have the burden of telling the client "I can't off you this deal anymore" in the future.... it's an awkward situation and it should be avoided.

ALSO, clients don't deserve anything, and they honestly don't give a crap about your generosity. They only care about how much they can get out of you for free, and will turn on you once you can no longer do free work for them.

The more you grow, the less time you have to spare on 'favors, etc' - clients do NOT understand this. They think "he used to do this and that, now he doesn't - screw him!".

-

I have done 'free fall cleanup' promotions for two years. Honestly, I did get a lot of clients, but this year I refused/lost a lot of them because they were headache clients, or they expected another freebie.

Lesson Learned: I now take my sweet time when it comes to getting new clients, I've never been more picky in my entire life. I target properties that I WANT while declining service for 20 callers per month, because their lawns just aren't good enough for me. I have a very high standard, and I'm very satisfied with the way things have become.

Getting clients is slower, but the clients I do take on make my operation very smooth. Plus, I usually always have that 70% recurring clientele every year, so things aren't too difficult.

NEVER RUSH, NEVER BECOME DESPERATE. The amount of clients you have does not equal success. Take your time, do quality work, and target the properties that YOU want;
no hills, no obstacles, can fit tractor in backyard, close to other clients...

Steve
06-11-2012, 02:11 PM
I have found by offering this payment people have been looking at this like an actual part time job ive given them lots of cards and brocheurs.

What would be your plan as far as making payment? When would it be made? Would the customer have to sign an annual contract? Have you figured how long the customer would have to stick with you in order for this to make economic sense?