PDA

View Full Version : When to say goodbye to a customer ?

mac83
06-03-2012, 05:36 PM
i have a customer that i have been mowing for over a year now. and this year she decide to start trying to tack on crap and try and get freebies out of me ,. and i keep on telling her that i will not work for free if you want for me to do more work that is no listed on the contract then you will have to pay me more and she thinks that since she is RICH that she can have whatever she wants

and i am allmost to my point of walking away from this client but the said part is if i leave this client i will lose about $200.00 extra income a month

what should i do ??????/

Hedgemaster
06-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Depends on how much you need that $200 and how difficult it would be to replace her.
And cleavage... that's sometimes a factor. ;)

"Hey, can you pull the weeds in the beds by the garage while you're here?"

"Sure, I'd normally charge $45 for that, but since you're one of my regular mowing clients I can do it for $30." (even if you'd have charged someone ELSE $30)

I have a 90 year old woman who has begun asking for oddball things like watering a plant, or "can you put my trash to the curb if you're in the area?"
It's up to you to decide what/how much you are willing to put up with.
BTW, I didn't stop by to put out her trash, but I do always return the empty can to her house when I'm there on mow day.

mac83
06-03-2012, 06:15 PM
i understand what you are saying and it's a little bit more than just watering and pulling weed

it's like this LOL

Customer: when you get done mowing can you spread 4 bags a mulch
Me: If you would like for me to to a extra service for you i will have to charge you for it .
Customer: but sir it will only take 5 mins
Me: it's not about the time it's about adding more duties to me that was not outlined in the contract that you signed
Customer: ok but will you trim my trees before you leave for free ?
Me: i will have to charge you extra for this service since there are over 40 trees on your property
Customer : oh come on you can do it for free

( Cleavage ) There is NONE ! Lmao

Sprinkler Buddy
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I once had a customer such as this. When she pushed me to my breaking point and went to hand me her late check to boot, I told her to keep it and find a new service.

Looking back, I should have taken the check and told her to find a new service. Lol

Sometimes it doesn't matter how well it pays, ya just gotta move on. Those that don't appreciate and continually expect more and more of you for free aren't worth it. You never enjoy doing that kind of customer.

CHEESE2009
06-04-2012, 01:08 AM
From what I have learned in my time, is that you should come off kind of 'aggressive' with your first impression, but it's not easy for some do to who are just starting out.

I've gotten rid of a LOT of clients because they have all needed little extras done but refused to pay for them, which only made my relationship with them awkward.

My latest situation;

I was spreading earth and seed for a client, and before I could leave, she comes outside and asks me, "can you tape down my carpet in the back yard so no one will trip over it?"

I was so annoyed, I said, "Yes, sure." and immediately left without doing it. LOL.

-

1. I am a guy who shows up weekly to cut grass.
2. I do not own/operate a carpet taping/securing business.
3. Why do you have a carpet outside?

WorkForMySelf
06-04-2012, 05:11 AM
From what I have learned in my time, is that you should come off kind of 'aggressive' with your first impression, but it's not easy for some do to who are just starting out.

I've gotten rid of a LOT of clients because they have all needed little extras done but refused to pay for them, which only made my relationship with them awkward.

My latest situation;

I was spreading earth and seed for a client, and before I could leave, she comes outside and asks me, "can you tape down my carpet in the back yard so no one will trip over it?"

I was so annoyed, I said, "Yes, sure." and immediately left without doing it. LOL.

-

1. I am a guy who shows up weekly to cut grass.
2. I do not own/operate a carpet taping/securing business.
3. Why do you have a carpet outside?

I would of done it and feigned a strained back.. "Can you give me a quick massage?" Put the awkward requests into the homeowners court for a change! lol

mac83
06-04-2012, 06:10 AM
thank you all for your response's. :)

it look's like either i am going to have to bite my tongue
or suck it up and tell my customer to find someone else

b/c i am the 3rd lawn service company that she has hired within 4 years

i just wished she was like my other customers which leave the money under a door mat.... and are never home when i come to service lawns

Steve
06-04-2012, 02:06 PM

HAHAHHAHAHHAHA That is so awesome HAHAHHAHAHHA

It will be interesting if he ever asks for that again. LOL

But in all seriousness, sometimes, people just get too pushy for you. If you don't need them and would rather open the spot to replace them with someone else than do it. This is your business and you get to control what you do or don't do. If you aren't happy with this customer, replace them. Be happy! That is probably a big reason why you got your own business started in the first place.

mac83
06-05-2012, 06:00 AM
i agree with you :)

krzys666
06-05-2012, 08:04 AM
for most of my customers i add it to there bill.
i do not do there tree trimming, bush cutting, or weeding at the same time i am cutting grass.
at the end of the month they will pay you. the bad clients will find an excuse to fire you, and the good clients will pay you and thank you for your good work.
the best clients expect to pay more for the add ons while the s**t clients want everything for free.

CHEESE2009
06-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Me: The price has gone up just a little bit.
Client: That's alright, we'll pay whatever the new price is - we are very happy with your service.

All clients who said this now mow their own lawns.

Cheap S.O.B's

LOL

mac83
06-05-2012, 09:23 PM
that's to funny i needed that good laugh tonight thanks cheese!

hahahahahahah :)

Lopes Lawn Care
06-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah sometimes customers can be a real pain when it comes to extras. I do some things for people. i might take out the trash can or grab their newspaper, help move something ect. usually i don't mind when it's something quick but when it's spreading bags of mulch and trimming i just wont do it for free. It's not worth it and if you do it she knows she can ask for more (given your description of her).

I've started to learn this year that some customers arent worth the money they pay you. The kind that you gave a good price too, do extra stuff for, free of charge and when it comes to big ticket work like trimming or clean ups they have little billy from down the road do it for $20. :eek:

lawnman3fl
06-06-2012, 04:58 AM
when they say can i just pay you next week and there on there way out of the drive way!!!

thats when you call them and say i need my check to show up next week or find a new guy ...:cool::cool::cool: