PDA

View Full Version : Please Help With My Huge Low Ball Problem

krd lawn and landscape
06-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Ok huge problem i will tell you the whole story maybe then someone can tell me what i have done wrong........

I did all my math and even had some companies come bid my yard i found the highest to be $45 offering mow weed eat edge and blow off and the cheapest being $25 offering only mow and weed eat so i went with about $35 a yard offering the same as the $45 company did which i found to be the average price. I then went to vista print and ordered business cards, lawn signs, banners, T Shirts, website and flyers. I then hit the streets passing out a couple hundred flyers a day and a couple hundred business cards a day for weeks i then started using Craigs List and hung up all of my yard signs on busy corners around town. in the first month in april i got 2 calls i bid both and got 1 of them my first time mowing for that customer another lawn care company drove by then came back stopped went to the door and offered the same service i was doing for $15 i was asked if i could beat that. i lost the job to the $15 bid. From then on i have had no calls from anything i try i even wear my shirt everywere i go lol. almost every post on craigslist is around $10-$20 how do i even begin to get jobs with that kind of low ball price around. its now june and ive had 2 phone calls so far this year HOW EVER I GOT A CALL FROM A PROPERTY PRESERVATION COMPANY TODAY THAT SAID THEY HAD 52 YARDS TO BID AND 11 LANDSCAPE PROJECTS MAYBE THAT IS MY TURN AROUND ANYONE HAVE GOOD LUCK OR COULD IT BE A SCAM

www.krdlawnandlandscape.com

krd lawn and landscape
06-03-2012, 02:26 AM
BY THE WAY i worked for 5 years with a landscape company and started doing things on the side a bit if you look at my website it has pics of some side work ive done over the years

mark123
06-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Be careful with those property management companies. If they are out of town demand prepayment. They'll refuse though because they're dirty.

You'll have to mow all day and then spend hours sorting and uploading pictures. It's not easy at all and they'll also dictate the prices. A lawn you would charge $35 for, they will give you $20.

Ask for more details but I've refused every one of these places. The words "Property Management" in a company name is a huge red flag for me.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I had a few contact me saying they had 100s of yards. They were paying $25-$35 for up to a acre. I said no thanks!

Another I did sign up with made the same promises about plenty of work and there pay wasnt set in stone. They contacted me about 1 job in about 4 months for $17. So I dropped them.

You cant do nothing about lowballers. If you join them you beat yourself. Youll find most the lowballers are doing just lawn mowing. They cant afford to offer snow removal or anything that involves heavy equipment.

I found the cheapest and worst customers come from Craigslist. Some swear by it I have the pictures to prove it. These guys want you to cut a foot of grass for less then the price of a well kept yard.

krd lawn and landscape
06-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your input!!! At this point if the fall clean ups dont go well and i cant get any holiday lighting jobs im gunna have to close up shop and sell my equipment the only thing saving me right now is i have a wife that makes good money LOL Like i said i started in April its now June ive had now 3 calls total ive went door to door ive handed out flyers ive done it all im about to just go get me a bill board around town see how that works lol every one i talk to is getting something done for nothing and i cant bring myself down to even think about unloading for less than atleast $30 even though i was looking for $35 non of these 15-20 dollar companys were even in the picture when i started now there everywere i look

anyways keep the comments coming its really helpful

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-04-2012, 12:38 AM
It happens... You have to specialize in something that every Joe cant do. This is why I dont advertise being cheap. If they want that get the guy with a push mower working for beer.

I just did 5 pressure washing quotes in 2 days. I only got 1 of them. Another said me and 2 others were all within $20 and 1 more guy is coming. So homeowners are getting a **** load of bids for every job. Then the lowballer gets a chance to do it for half.

I did a commercial bid last week that was being serviced by the cleaning guy. The property was so far gone that it wouldve took about $1500 just to get it looking right again. I gave the guy options on ways we can knock the price down but he didnt bite. I drove by the place yesterday and it hasnt been touched. I guess they went the cheap route again!

Steve
06-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Can you market to people you know or friends of your friends, family and neighbors?

Getting some initial customers from that kind of social group should help you get your footing.

A lot of these early customers you may be reaching out to, may be problematic and furthermore, they may sense that you are new to this and try to see how cheap they can get you.

Island Lawn Care
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Sounds like your area is "saturated" with lawn shmoes. gotta kick it up a notch and offer something different.

tx_limo
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I agree with the other posts about having to offer something extra or different. However, I disagree with using Craigslist. I'm just getting started myself and the most calls I've gotten have been through Craigslist. I've got 2 regular customers through them and have also gotten some one-time jobs too. You do get some knuckleheads that want you to mow an acre of land way out in the boonies that is 1-1/2 feet tall for $40 but it isn't too many. I've found the trick to be with Craigslist is to post an ad about twice a day. This way your ad doesn't get buried at the bottom under every other guy out there hustling to get the work. Good Luck!!

Johnny_boy02
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Where are you located, what preservation company is it?

I have had the opposite experience that everyone has posted here. The majority of my work load is preservation work, last year I let most of my customers go in order to focus on preservation.

I worked all winter while many here complained about no work and this past February was my best month ever.

Thanks everyone for your input!!! At this point if the fall clean ups dont go well and i cant get any holiday lighting jobs im gunna have to close up shop and sell my equipment the only thing saving me right now is i have a wife that makes good money LOL Like i said i started in April its now June ive had now 3 calls total ive went door to door ive handed out flyers ive done it all im about to just go get me a bill board around town see how that works lol every one i talk to is getting something done for nothing and i cant bring myself down to even think about unloading for less than atleast $30 even though i was looking for $35 non of these 15-20 dollar companys were even in the picture when i started now there everywere i look

anyways keep the comments coming its really helpful

lawncareftf
06-04-2012, 08:41 PM
My first piece of advice is to hang in there. I have had some goo luck with Craigslist but like someone else said it takes multiple postings per day and be VERY specific about location (learned that one the hard way). And just because someone calls you doesn't mean you have to take the job. But I'll tell you something that has worked well for me is Facebook. I have one neighborhood that has a page for the neighborhood to stay in touch on and I was able to get some folks to promote my services on there and I picked up a bunch of lawns over there. As far as price I'll steal a quote from another post - I don't drop my gate for less than $30 and that's a small yard with almost no obstacles.

krd lawn and landscape
06-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Once again thanks for everyones input....

Sooo.... I tried something on Craigslist today and it seems to be working.

Here is an add i posted this morning

ARE YOU TIRED OF ALL OF THE OTHER LAWN CARE COMPANIES BEING NON RELIABLE OR GIVING YOU LOW QUALITY SERVICE??

HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT WHEN YOU PAY $15-$20 FOR A LAWN CARE SERVICE YOU GET JUST WHAT YOU PAYED FOR A $15 MOW????

WE ARE HERE TO OFFER YOU THE BEST LAWN CARE AND LANDSCAPE SERVICE IN TOWN!!!!!!!!

We gurantee you that we have the BANG for you buck

Our mowing service includes.....
* mowing with or without bagger your choice
* weed eating
* edge
* blowing off concrete

this great service starts at $35

WHEN YOUR TIRED OF THE REST CALL THE BEST

417-291-6438

OR

www.krdlawnandlandscape.com view pictures, get internet only specials

from that add alone i had 19 calls today and picked up 14 jobs to start on in the morning and 2 landscape bids to do tomorrow to most people were sick to death of who they were already using

krd lawn and landscape
06-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for marketing or an add on service i was really thinking of putting in gutter guards or something. and hiring a really tough looking guy to stand by the door of each house i do to scare away any low ballers lol just kidding but tempting

PineHillLawn
06-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I disagree with not using Craigslist. I just started two months ago and have all of my lawns from there. I have 12 yards total now. You do have to pick and choose some but all of mine are good payers and good people. If theres guys walking up to the door "Stealing" jobs from you as your there mowing thats just wrong. I'd say let them cut their throat, it wont take long for it to happen at that price. Unless you have multiple small lawns next to each other there is no way you can make any money mowing a yard for $15.

Get a cheap website, it'll help weed out some of those Idiot Lowballers. It makes you seem more legit and will get you more of the customers you want. Don't take every yard you estimate. If the yard is crap, so are the customers way of paying. Shoot for more upper class lawns. They dont have any problem paying for a $35-50 lawn.

tx_limo
06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Glad to hear you got such a good response from your Craigslist ad. Now the trick is to post it a couple of times during the day (maybe in the afternoon and then again in the early evening-maybe after 7). This way you will catch folks who are browsing at different times during the day and you don't get lost in the shuffle.

Good luck with all the new business!!

Steve
06-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Get a cheap website, it'll help weed out some of those Idiot Lowballers. It makes you seem more legit

Do you feel that is the case because you post prices on your website or because just having a website makes people feel you are not a fly by night company and therefore will charge more?