PDA

View Full Version : What is the best zero turn mower

lov2mow
06-02-2012, 08:54 AM
I have now big 62" and 54" zero turn mowers that I use on larger accounts. I was hopeing someone could tell me what brand of zero turn is great for smaller lawns. That wont rip the grass when turning with the front wheels.

PineHillLawn
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I have now big 62" and 54" zero turn mowers that I use on larger accounts. I was hopeing someone could tell me what brand of zero turn is great for smaller lawns. That wont rip the grass when turning with the front wheels.

Scag!!!!!! All others are just spinning their wheels!

stevef1201
06-02-2012, 05:27 PM
The best is the one someonelse pays for ;)

lov2mow
06-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Steve are you offering

wandfsmall
06-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Steve are you offering

to most people the best ztr is either the one they own or the one that someone else that they know convinced them was better then the one they own. But in truth the reason you do not see everyone in the country using the same ztr is you will not find a "best ztr mower" Find a mower with good dealer support in your area and pick that one.

Shark1611
06-02-2012, 10:09 PM
to most people the best ztr is either the one they own or the one that someone else that they know convinced them was better then the one they own. But in truth the reason you do not see everyone in the country using the same ztr is you will not find a "best ztr mower" Find a mower with good dealer support in your area and pick that one.

You are SO RIGHT on the dealer support. Man I can bring my ZTR in to get fixed and get it back most of the time the very next day!! When my blades are turning I am making money. I just bought an Exmark 36" stand up and love the dog out of it. I too have large properties and use this one to cut in where my 60" will not.

JeffK26
06-02-2012, 10:30 PM
The best ZTR isn't a ZTR at all........it is a walk behind.

Shark1611
06-02-2012, 10:32 PM
The best ZTR isn't a ZTR at all........it is a walk behind.

I have those too but I am not about to use my walk behind on the large apartments that I am contracted out on. I'll never finish or spend tons of money on more employees. But that is just me.

JeffK26
06-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I have those too but I am not about to use my walk behind on the large apartments that I am contracted out on. I'll never finish or spend tons of money on more employees. But that is just me.

You have a point and I know a few guys here that use their ZTRs on their larger properties. But the ZTRs are on the "back 40" while the walk behinds are for the display area of the property.

I'll paraphrase a few LCO's I know into one summary...."99.9% of people don't care how long you are on their property, they care about the look after you're done."

And the original question was about smaller residential properties. So he shouldn't get a ZTR for smaller properties....he needs a walk behind.

I have accounts this year from people that dropped guys with ZTR because they "went too fast".

Even with a walk behind, if i go balls out with my walk behind lines aren't straight, cut isn't as good, there are missed spots.

If one wants to cut down on time without suffering on quality....go with a walk behind with a wider deck, not a faster mower.

lov2mow
06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I need to bag the grass, so what walk behind can bag and be balanced to operate. I use a 34" simplicity now with side bag all I do is fight to keep it straight.

wandfsmall
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I need to bag the grass, so what walk behind can bag and be balanced to operate. I use a 34" simplicity now with side bag all I do is fight to keep it straight.

most walk behinds do not bag well, for bagging I would look at a walker and see what you think. They are the only mower designed with bagging in mind.

dpld
06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
most walk behinds do not bag well, for bagging I would look at a walker and see what you think. They are the only mower designed with bagging in mind.

walkers are good mowers and i have a few but they are for well manicured picture perfect properties.

there is no control of the height of the deck in flight to get around obstacles like a slightly high tree root.
with the direct drive deck and the lower profile they are not suited for all types of properties as well as are not the type of mower you just allow anyone to operate.

they cut beautiful and bag excellent but as i said they are for particular properties.

as for riding mowers in general, ther are a lot of great one out there and it also depends on what part of the country you live in because some brands have a better foothold on regions then others.
it also depends on what type of mowing you are doing and once again what region you are in.
i know guys as well as myself where we have to bag everything and take it away and i know guys that let it fly and even in the fall just chop it up and blow it in the woods.

i have a ton of hills so i use pretty much a variety of machines.
i have hydro walk behinds and i use walkers and i have a couple exmark lazer z's and they all have their place and each type of machine can do something better then the others but from my experience there is not a machine out there that can hit the ball out of the park on every type of lawn out there.

the only thing you can do is find the best machine suited for your properties and the best way to do that is find out what each machine is good at and what they are not.
for example, i cut a cemetery and there is tons of rocks that stick out of the ground here and there that might be a inch too high for me to go over and with my walk behinds i can push down on the handle bars and lift the deck a couple inces to go over it or my lazer i can push down on the deck lift pedal and raise the deck to give me a little extra clearance to get by the rock.
this way i am still cutting the grass as i go over and it may be a little higher and it is not noticable and that spot is done.

with the walker my choice is raise the deck and cut the whole place high or go around the rocks and add to the already never ending string trimming.

my lazers i can put the bagger vacum set up on in the fall and take it off for the summer where as the walker the blower runs full time all year whether you need it or not.

as i said i use many different types of machines and i like them all and the best approach is find the pros and cons of each machine and use that information against the type of properties you have and their specials needs or circumstances ( obsticles, gates, hills, hidden hazzards, wet conditions, bagging,etc,etc).