PDA

View Full Version : Buying yards

madracer3600
06-01-2012, 07:40 AM
New to lawn care and had a guy approach me about buying yards. What are the goods and bad? Is this a common practice?

Sprinkler Buddy
06-01-2012, 07:51 AM
It is not a common practice, many scams out there, BEWARE!

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-01-2012, 10:02 AM
New to lawn care and had a guy approach me about buying yards. What are the goods and bad? Is this a common practice?

goods: more work

bad: doesnt pan out. Paying for nothing.

The way this works out is if your a big company buying out a small company. When its the other way around its problems. Unless you have writing contracts with the customers, they can all drop you. Some might not even exist.

mark123
06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Ask the seller one question: "Do you own the lawns you are selling me?"

Steve
06-01-2012, 11:53 AM
and had a guy approach me about buying yards.

How did this all work out? What was the background to him approaching you like this?

madracer3600
06-04-2012, 08:38 AM
How did this all work out? What was the background to him approaching you like this?

I work full time and mow part time. The guy works with me and he mows part time also. Sorry for the delay was busy.

tmla89
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
I've bought 69 yards this spring and summer out of those 69 I've kept 57 of them I see alot of guys on here that dont like this but I think it's the best way to go. here is how you do it you have the seller of the yards call, email or by whatever means let his customers he is planing on getting out of the business but he has already arranged for a new quality company to take over his duties that company being you of course and that he will be bringing you by to meach each client on a planned day.the seller takes a day off work and you do the same the two of you drive to each client and spend just a few short mins there. this accomplishes multiple task you find if the price point for the properties is right, how the route of the properties will fit in to youre existing route, and you get a feel of the customer. if you have any people skills at all you will have a good idea if the customer plans to stay. buy them up build youre business and enjoy life.

Steve
06-11-2012, 02:18 PM
How important do you find it to be to have the seller sign some kind of non-compete contract for a specific time within a specific area, so they can't sell you the properties today, then start another lawn care business tomorrow to try and scoop them all back up again. Only to try and resell them again later to someone else?