PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Review

Shark1611
05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Love to hear from some of you on what ZTR gets the most hours. I know it has a great deal on how well you take care of them but outside of that what brand have you seen last the longest? I see so many out on the lawns where I live and it seems like on is just as good as the other. I run Dixons and I bet I am the only one on here that does but they work well. Think my next mower will have a Kawi, or Honda though. I am running a Dixon 60", Dixon 44", and a Exmark 36" stand up. Hope to hear from some of you and if or how you method you use to record your hours.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-31-2012, 10:57 PM
In my area 75% of ztrs are scags. I see them running and being sold with 3000-4000 hours.

Other then them I see some diesel engines (kubota, daihatsu) with 5000-6000 hrs.

Truth of the matter is I dont think the brand of mower matters. Its more what engine is in it.

PineHillLawn
06-01-2012, 07:35 AM
In my area 75% of ztrs are scags. I see them running and being sold with 3000-4000 hours.

Other then them I see some diesel engines (kubota, daihatsu) with 5000-6000 hrs.

Truth of the matter is I dont think the brand of mower matters. Its more what engine is in it.

Thats my experience too! Scags are king in my area. You hardly ever see a pro trailer going down the road without a Scag on it. I bought a Scag at the end of last year and it has around a 100 hours on it now. I pretty confident it'll be around for a few thousand hours.

mark123
06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Do you see Scag because there is a Scag dealer in your area? I see Exmark, Toro and Ferris because there are those dealers in the area. No point in buying Scag here when the dealer is 60 miles away.

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Do you see Scag because there is a Scag dealer in your area? I see Exmark, Toro and Ferris because there are those dealers in the area. No point in buying Scag here when the dealer is 60 miles away.

I have Scag, Toro, Exmark, Deere, Simplicity, Badboy all within 15 miles.

In order of popularity Scag, Toro, Walker, Deere, Exmark.

I myself own 2 toros and a Great Dane but none have over 900 hours.

Shark1611
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Great information. I been looking a Scags.

shadrach
06-01-2012, 05:57 PM
2006 48" 19hp kawasaki tiger cub - just sold it with 1400 hours. 3 belts, 4 batteries, an ignition, changing the oil - no other repairs on it, Needed a bigger mower or I would still have it.

Hedgemaster
06-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I've only ever seen a Scag in a picture book.

"Scag". Who was the genius that thought that would be a good name for a company?
Sounds like a disease-ridden prostitute.

Sprinkler Buddy
06-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I've only ever seen a Scag in a picture book.

"Scag". Who was the genius that thought that would be a good name for a company?
Sounds like a disease-ridden prostitute.

LoL I often thought that myself. They are good mowers, I started my company years ago with them but now I run Hustler, most of the pros around here have made the same switch.

Hustler isn't the name I would have chosen either. LoL

wandfsmall
06-02-2012, 06:06 PM
LoL I often thought that myself. They are good mowers, I started my company years ago with them but now I run Hustler, most of the pros around here have made the same switch.

Hustler isn't the name I would have chosen either. LoL

Scag is named for Dane Scag as he was the founder of the company and ran it till they supposedly pushed him out then he founded Great Dane.

Husther was named for the B-58 Bomber because of the unique characteristics of the zero turn mower and the impact they expected on the industry(the Hustler was the first Zero Turn mower).

As for the most hours they all run the same engines and transmission options so brand will not really affect hours unless you trash the deck or frame(both rare)

I see mowers with over 6000 hours still running if they were taken care of properly.

Shark1611
06-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Scag is named for Dane Scag as he was the founder of the company and ran it till they supposedly pushed him out then he founded Great Dane.

Husther was named for the B-58 Bomber because of the unique characteristics of the zero turn mower and the impact they expected on the industry(the Hustler was the first Zero Turn mower).

As for the most hours they all run the same engines and transmission options so brand will not really affect hours unless you trash the deck or frame(both rare)

I see mowers with over 6000 hours still running if they were taken care of properly.

Well that is what I have started to think. I have just had a number of people think I have lost my mind that I am using Dixon mowers. They have worked well but not sure if I will by another one due that I do not see them much and makes me think there is somthing better out there. So far I have not had so spen a lot of money. In fact the biggest issue has been bolts vibrating off my mowers.