PDA

View Full Version : Giving a sh*t.

Steve
05-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Have you found that some places you visit, or buy from, or even compete against, just seem to not give a sh*t about what they are doing?

It seems at times there is a 50-50 chance that someone is going to give a sh*t about the business they work for or at times even own.

If you see that happening, does it make it easier for you if you are competing against them? Do you find that you can use it in your marketing some how to grab more customers?

What kinds of situations have you run into where you saw this happen? Or have you found yourself not caring and then tried to turn it around?

WeekendWarriorLawn
05-30-2012, 06:32 PM
i want more motivational videos.

Steve
05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
There you go :) I will make more.

What I am thinking about is how many times have you gone into a restaurant and the waiter/waitress goes through their pre-programed shpeal and they never make eye-contact with you? What's the point of doing that job if you aren't going to engage and interact with the person you are serving?

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
the idea, i like it.

i have started door knocking when flying, I am a very competent salesman now because of it. (so far i only door knock if the door is open) when i see a "welcome" sign i make it evident I am on their porch/property - i always do this and always smile when flying none the less, but i find welcome signs inviting, as if these people want to be enaged by people, while we live in a society that is rapidly shutting the blinds, doors, etc. on visitors.

(take notice of these things while flying folks, they can speak volumes about potential clients. read their external language! learn how to translate it and use it effectively to adapt yourself to sell to them)

first question if it's not obvious: is the owner or renter of this home available?

the lines, not in any order yet:
hi, my name's chris from weekend warrior lawn & maintenance. can i interest you in a sample of grass seed and some information about who we are and what we do?

do you currently have a lawn guy?

(yeah, me)

well can I interest you in this packet of information & free grass seed for your lawn?

etc. etc. etc.

I am ALWAYS offering free gifts with my flyers. ALWAYS. I use free grass seed (bags of 3 or more pounds only go for 4 or 5.00 here) packets with a slip to our facebook page with info on how to plant it and custom made audio cd's featuring corporate music and my own voice over. the whole cd is only 5 minutes long and i use it for cars when flying on windshields as people in cars listen to CD's.

i am all about eye contact. i start with my shades (sunglasses) on and eventually drop them (raise them, prop them on the visor of my hat)

i feel that wearing the shades shows a certain level of professionalism, and moving them to show my eyes reveals that i am a real person; a real man, who they can talk to & engage.

FTGUlawncare
06-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Have you found that some places you visit, or buy from, or even compete against, just seem to not give a sh*t about what they are doing?

It seems at times there is a 50-50 chance that someone is going to give a sh*t about the business they work for or at times even own.

If you see that happening, does it make it easier for you if you are competing against them? Do you find that you can use it in your marketing some how to grab more customers?

What kinds of situations have you run into where you saw this happen? Or have you found yourself not caring and then tried to turn it around?f

Funny you say that because i got a call yesterday that said " Jeremy im looking for someone who will do my lawn when they say they will and actually do a quality job" then when i get there to walk the area the customer said " i know its not a big deal but can you stripe the grass i think it looks really nice that way " he told me that the guys unloaded the lawnmowers and just walked around all over the yard until all the grass was cut , in all directions all over the place ,the guy asked me how much i would charge , that he will need the grass cut weekly , before pricing him he said " im willing to pay i just want quality work .......just gained a 35 a week customer that took me under 30 minutes to unload cut, string trim and blow off and load back up ...i know there are several big lawn companies in my area who are awesome i see their work and its flawless !!!! but the rest of the several are not good ...the people who do my parents neighbors home do very very poor work

It all boils down to quality .." giving a **** " some people just dont care

the guy i just told you about said that his lawn guy was supose to come by last saturday he was a no show then he called him on sunday the guy picked up and said " oh i sell at the flea market on sunday ill come by when im done" Really who says that ?

Steve
06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
How about the greeter at the Wally-Worlds? How often do they ever actually greet you?

Sam Walton implemented the idea of the greeter at his stores because his felt if people are greeted and there is a personal connection made, they tend not to steal from the store.

Very rarely do the greeters actually greet me and I think that is such an easy fix. Just have a manager walk around to see if people are doing their job. But I tend to feel in stores where they hire a greeter that just sits there staring at the walls, the managers tend to not give a **** either.