PDA

View Full Version : Hone Engine

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-28-2012, 11:22 AM
I need to hone my stihl fs55 cylinder. The bore is 33mm. I never did this before but it only takes 10 mins to dissemble and only a few to hone. The piston might be a pain but the rest is cake.

Dont know if I should use a flex hone or the three stone kind?

Will the piston have to be replaced or can it be resurfaced?

Should I use a flex hone for 30-33mm or 33.5-37.?

I picked this machine up for parts for my other. I thought my flex shaft was broke but it simply slipped out of the gearbox. Now I'm thinking I can restore this for $50.

willshome
05-28-2012, 02:48 PM
why do you think it needs honing? different honers for different problems but flex works well most of the time

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-28-2012, 03:04 PM
why do you think it needs honing? different honers for different problems but flex works well most of the time

Got it at the dealer with a tag that said scored piston and cylinder. The muffler was off. I checked compression 120 psi. Enough to run for 2 seconds.

I bought it for the flex shaft and spare parts but now I'm thinking I can fix it for cheap.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-28-2012, 03:27 PM
I cant find any specs about compression but 120 psi should be good? I can check the running one to clarify.

Steve
05-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I have never honed a small engine like that, but I'd love to see some pictures of the damage it has sustained that you are trying to fix.

Could you hone it out first and then try it to see if it runs any better?

Also, I don't know what the ideal compression is for that size engine. What made you think 120psi would be ideal?

Are you going to replace the ring(s) as well?

wandfsmall
05-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I need to hone my stihl fs55 cylinder. The bore is 33mm. I never did this before but it only takes 10 mins to dissemble and only a few to hone. The piston might be a pain but the rest is cake.

Dont know if I should use a flex hone or the three stone kind?

Should I use a flex hone for 30-33mm or 33.5-37.?

I picked this machine up for parts for my other. I thought my flex shaft was broke but it simply slipped out of the gearbox. Now I'm thinking I can restore this for $50.
I always use a 3 stone hone for this, as for the piston I always replaced them along with new rings. as for the size that depends on the damage but likely the smaller one would work.

Steve
05-30-2012, 08:12 AM
In a previous post weren't we also talking about the importance of changing the bolt that hold the cylinder head in place because over time they get stretched and weakened? Or is that not such an issue in a small engine like this?

wandfsmall
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
In a previous post weren't we also talking about the importance of changing the bolt that hold the cylinder head in place because over time they get stretched and weakened? Or is that not such an issue in a small engine like this?

It is not as much of an issue but yes you really should replace them.

Shark1611
06-02-2012, 09:30 PM
After doing this I always put my ring in and speck out the gap in the ring to see if it is too far gone.

Steve
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
How many times can you hone the cylinder? Also, are there anythings you can do to prevent it from having to be done?