PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Blades

Island Lawn Care
05-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, i was wondering what alot of you use for Mower Blades. I see ones like Gatorblade and Heliblades and such.ive always used stock blades. What is the industry standard"go-to" blade?

I got a 48" JD Mower with stock blades. It seems to me that I cant drive as fast and get as good of a finish as i have with other mowers. Any info? Is this the way a Triple blade deck is? i think 2 blades are better than 3 after owning this deck now. any insights or experiences would be helpfull. thanks!

myblacktruck
05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
We always run gator blades on our stuff all season long. We don't have any problems with the 3 blades cutting. They always cut and stripe nice until the blades get dull

mark123
05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I switched from OEM Toro blades to Oregon. The edge lasts so much longer on the Oregon blades that it's almost ridiculous. I guess the Toro blades are just softer steel.

Island Lawn Care
05-25-2012, 07:04 PM
cool...thanks guys.............gators is prob what im gonna go with

Steve
05-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Is there any way to tell before purchasing if the blade is made of higher or lower strength steel?

Sprinkler Buddy
05-28-2012, 09:14 AM
I use Oregon's low lift blades on my mowers. In the sandy hills where I live, gator blades pick up too much sand and wears the decks out prematurely.

wandfsmall
05-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Is there any way to tell before purchasing if the blade is made of higher or lower strength steel?

nope thats why a lot of dealers can sell low quality blades, it is mainly in the heat treating process.

mark123
05-28-2012, 01:47 PM
nope thats why a lot of dealers can sell low quality blades, it is mainly in the heat treating process.

Is that why my Toro OEM blades dull in about 2 hours? They are stamped with the correct part number but they just stink.

wandfsmall
05-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Is that why my Toro OEM blades dull in about 2 hours? They are stamped with the correct part number but they just stink.

exactly but on a positive note the softer steal is easier to sharpen and balance :D

Steve
05-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Can you harden the softer blades up by heating them and then dipping them in water?

wandfsmall
05-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Can you harden the softer blades up by heating them and then dipping them in water?

technically yes but their is a little to it then that to get a good tempering.

Island Lawn Care
05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
yeah......my stock blades were dull allready after mowing for 4 hours!!!! what!!!! i bet every "new" John deere tractor in the world that has been used twice has dull blades. i sharpened those blades when i made the 1st post. why do they cheap out on one of the most important parts? wow.

on another note. do u guys know if the gator blades will work with my bagger? thats my one concern. but if they work good enough ill skip the bagger. it makes the tractor HUGE to menuver anyway. thanks alot for your posts! this Site is Fun!
:)

wandfsmall
05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
technically yes but their is a little more to it then that to get a good tempering. sorry I did not proofread my post:rolleyes:

wandfsmall
05-29-2012, 03:04 PM
yeah......my stock blades were dull allready after mowing for 4 hours!!!! what!!!! i bet every "new" John deere tractor in the world that has been used twice has dull blades. i sharpened those blades when i made the 1st post. why do they cheap out on one of the most important parts? wow.

on another note. do u guys know if the gator blades will work with my bagger? thats my one concern. but if they work good enough ill skip the bagger. it makes the tractor HUGE to menuver anyway. thanks alot for your posts! this Site is Fun!
:)
with a bagging system if you can not get the G6 gators I would use 2 gator blades and 1 high lift on the discharge.