PDA

View Full Version : fertilization question

cpang88
05-23-2012, 12:41 AM
hey everyone im looking at starting up a lawn maintenance company. I was just wondering if i was to use fertilizer from a home depot on contracts i have will i need a permit/license.

jymie
05-23-2012, 07:58 AM
hey everyone im looking at starting up a lawn maintenance company. I was just wondering if i was to use fertilizer from a home depot on contracts i have will i need a permit/license.

Yes, check with your state DEC (Dept Environmental conservation) and they will give you all the info you need for your area.

Steve
05-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Each state handles this licensing differently so as stated above, make a few calls or emails and see what you will need to do to get your license.

CHEESE2009
05-25-2012, 08:53 PM
I don't understand why you'd need a permit for fertilizer. Someone fill me in!

dpld
05-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't understand why you'd need a permit for fertilizer. Someone fill me in!

in a nutshell it is all about the money and if you make a living off of something the state and government wants a peice of it.

sure you have to exibit some knowledge to get a license but at the same time any homeowner can go out and by a product and freely apply it to his property without any repercussions.

in my state it won't be long before you need a license to wipe your a z z and one of the more recent jokes of a license is the new jersey home improvement contractors license.

all you need is to be a registered business and have insurance and a $150.00 per year and viola, your licensed.
you don't even have to know what you are doing or even prove you do just a registered business, insurance and pay the man.

they figured we have over a couple hundred thousand contactors in this state and if they can bag us all $150.00 each year they can drum a extra 25 mil each year.

on top of always needing a spray license for lawns and a seperate license for trees ( 3A & 3B ) which used to cover fertilization you now need a seperate license for fert.
now instead of me haveing to pay $75.00 per license each year as well as my business applicators license which totaled $300.00 per year now i have to pay a extra $75.00 for the fert license plus if i plant shrubs or put a patio in i need to pay the $150.00 for te contractor license.

i know how to pay $525.00 per year for licenses compared to when i started in 1990 not needing to pay one dime or even needing a license.

go figure, i guess the times are a changing.

stevef1201
05-26-2012, 06:11 PM
In Florida if you only put down fertilizer, no license required. However ANYTHING else including weed and feed requires a Public Lawn and Ornamental license, 1 million dollars liability insurance, and very detailed records of what, where, when. First offense (getting caught) will cost you 5 thousand dollars.
Check with your state, you dont want to go broke on the fines, or even go to jail.

pfreeman
05-27-2012, 10:33 PM
I went to a lawn fertilization/herbicide/pesticide class and practicum this Spring. Indiana requires a certification and licenced company to apply any products to a lawn/turf. Ornamentals and trees require a different certification. Once certified and approved, the certification is good for 5 years and only requires a $30.00 annual renewal.