PDA

View Full Version : Good Truck? 2001 Ford F-250 5.4 V8

FentonC
05-22-2012, 07:33 PM
I found a very good deal on a 2001 Ford F-250 4x4 with the 5.4 liter V8 and automatic transmission. It is the extended cab and long bed. It has 154000 miles on it. The dealership is asking 5990. Are there and normal issues with this truck or is it normally a solid truck? I will be using it to tow a trailer for my equipment and as a snowplow.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Does it have a plow already? Look for frame rust and rot. If there is its cheaper in the long run to move on. Most trucks woth plows already will need a lot of front end work.

FentonC
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
It doesn't have a plow and it never has had one. Here is a link to it:

http://www.rochesterford.com/vehicle-details/2001-ford-super-duty-f-250-xlt-w-rochester-mn-id-2811220

Do you think the extra grill in the front will hinder the use of a plow when I get a plow?

Cashin H&P
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
It doesn't have a plow and it never has had one. Here is a link to it:

http://www.rochesterford.com/vehicle-details/2001-ford-super-duty-f-250-xlt-w-rochester-mn-id-2811220

Do you think the extra grill in the front will hinder the use of a plow when I get a plow?

A truck is a truck. My frined has a ford f150 and he just blew his transmission. I drive a chevy and I just had to repalce the transfer case. If you use a truck for work it will break and you will have to put money into it. It could be a great truck or a lemon you never know. But yes that push bar will have to come off to put a plow on. It probably just bolts to the frame so if they are in the way of the plow mounts then it will have to come off for good but you may be able to get away with having it on the the summmer If they can mount a plow around the existing mount for the push bar.

Hedgemaster
05-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Good rule of thumb is "If it starts with a "D", leave it be."

"Ford"... You should be good to go.

:D

Hard to say from photos, but it looks better than I expected.
Is that rust on the bottom driver's side of the cab section? (not that rust is a big factor, since reliability is much more important for a work vehicle)

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Just as cashin home said..a truck is a truck. They all have their pros and cons, it's up to you to test drive it . I'm a chevy guy,Bought my 2500 with 180,000 on it and had no problems until 247,000 when the motor blew. My last company I worked for pulled with a "D"odge!! And it was a beast.