PDA

View Full Version : Smart Advertising

CHEESE2009
05-18-2012, 10:25 PM
I customized post-its on vistaprint, and will be sticking them to doors.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AeaR0Uns8Lk/TxeJcjbhsRI/AAAAAAAAAHw/buDnHxfd9Bg/s1600/post-it-note.jpg

Never thought of doing this, SO MUCH EASIER than doing everything else!!!

my sticky note will look like this, i just ordered;

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5206&stc=1&d=1337398609

w0283767
05-18-2012, 10:57 PM
I think that is genius idea. Next time I would put company name on there as well though.

Steve
05-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi Scott,

That is a very nice design! Can you give us some insight into your design? Sometimes I do wonder how much advertising has to be dumbed down so that potential customers get it. Do you find that ever to be an issue where you have to over explain things?

CHEESE2009
05-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Hi Scott,

That is a very nice design! Can you give us some insight into your design? Sometimes I do wonder how much advertising has to be dumbed down so that potential customers get it. Do you find that ever to be an issue where you have to over explain things?

It was late at night, and I was bored.

I was on vistaprint, and I created a poster for the local shop that fixes my equipment. "Thank you xxxxxxx" and it shows pictures of all the work we've done. Hopefully they will hang it up in their shop :)

Then I realized, I could make custom post-its (sticky notes), but I figured they would be really small so I decided to throw some images together and a phone number and nothing more. If they turn out well, this could very well be the easiest advertising I could do.

CHEESE2009
05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm going a little nuts with this advertising lol, I have so much product to handout as is.

Anyway, I just ordered a ton of these now;

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/outside.png
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/inside.png

Steve
05-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Oh that looks really nice! Are those post its or are those brochures? How will you distribute them?

CHEESE2009
05-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Oh that looks really nice! Are those post its or are those brochures? How will you distribute them?

Handing out business cards with estimates on the back is VERY simple, but we needed something even faster. I decided to create those custom post-its.

They turned out darker than I'd like, and they actually arrived crumpled - I will be complaining to vistaprint. They are neat though, very small!

As for the last images I posted, those are brochures. I plan on giving them to properties I would really like to do. Lawns where I can mow their front and back with the tractor, no obstacles, simple simple simple lol.

I'm going to stop spending money now... I think...

OH and my lawn signs came in too! They look fantastic!!!

Steve
05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
That is fantastic! Nice work! Your marketing keeps getting better and better.

Fine Gardens Landscaping
12-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Good idea with the post-it's. I think fridge magnets could be ideal also. I have not done this myself yet. It's on the list of things to do, lol. Anyway, I'm thinking a strong magnet with an attractive landscape image on the front and your business name and phone number.

I would just give it to people I do work for. Then they'll likely call you back, and their friends might notice your magnet on their fridge. It will certainly be easy for them to refer you since your number is on their fridge.

sharplawnsturf
12-11-2012, 06:52 PM
has anyone found that sticking any advertising material to a customers property has caused any problems? one of my competitors that is a large company in the area has gotten a few bad google reviews for simply sticking advertisements on the mailbox, and causing paint to peel off.

i was gonna hole punch corner of flyer and run rubber band through., it mabee to much work.. lol. i may just wedge them in the door like i've seen some people do.

Steve
12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
one of my competitors that is a large company in the area has gotten a few bad google reviews for simply sticking advertisements on the mailbox, and causing paint to peel off.

We discussed this in the past and I think it came up that you can't legally put anything on or in a mailbox.

i was gonna hole punch corner of flyer and run rubber band through., it mabee to much work.. lol. i may just wedge them in the door like i've seen some people do.

Either way should be fine. The more people you talk to as you distribute your flyers, the better.

LawnBoy0311
05-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Scott, how did these work for you? Did you get any customers?

LawnBoy0311
05-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Cheese, you better write back to this!

SexyLikeMath
07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
As you may have realized, marketing has changed. It's even easier now than its ever been too.

I creat pages on Facebook and get thousands of friends in the area I'm going to target. Then I post an add from my business FB and repost to the John Doe account with the thousands of friends. Then I offer some type of incentive to all my customers (like a free flat or 5% off) to just repost the add on their FB.

My ROI is crazy when compared to my friends (other landscapers)

I recommend giving social media a try. It's free!

Problem solved. Problem staying solved. Rangers lead the way!

LawnBoy0311
07-24-2013, 05:44 AM
As you may have realized, marketing has changed. It's even easier now than its ever been too.

I creat pages on Facebook and get thousands of friends in the area I'm going to target. Then I post an add from my business FB and repost to the John Doe account with the thousands of friends. Then I offer some type of incentive to all my customers (like a free flat or 5% off) to just repost the add on their FB.

Creating fake facebook accounts is also known as spam. Facebook will catch on and start banning you for days, then weeks, then months if you still continue. I'm shocked no one reported you already.

By posting this worthless tip for us, I'd assume Rangers don't think clearly of the repercussions. But then again, what do I know? I'm just a dumb grunt. Semper Fi.

A Soldier and a Marine are both using the Head/Latrine at the airport. The Marine zips up and walks towards the door. The Soldier say's " Hey, the Army teaches us to wash our hands after taking a piss. The Marine turns with a puzzled look and say's "The Marines teach us to not pee on our hands"! and leaves.

SexyLikeMath
07-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Ok, so I'll break this down Barney style (insert knife chop)

You don't just spam. I chose not to add every detail of what I am doing like the self explanatory items. Such as spam.

Now in order for you to have thousands of "friends" and stay relevant on their newsfeed etc you have to post! And guess what.... If you only post spam... Yep you got it! Those "friends" will drop you. That will happen faster than FB moderators.

Look at is as more of an alter ego. Or, you can have your personal FB and still do this! Just remember EVERYTHING IN MODERATION and you'll be fine.

If you can't adapt and overcome, you are doomed to failure!

This little piece of marketing is FREE and it's effective. If you don't get at least 5k off of ONE Facebook post, you're doing it wrong. Try again, it's free.

Just remember, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative.

Now for all of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children out there, remember this is business take the emotion out of it. Make a plan and execute.

Steve
07-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Then I offer some type of incentive to all my customers (like a free flat or 5% off) to just repost the add on their FB.

Ok so you offer a flat fee as an incentive to repost your advertisement? What kind of flat fees do you suggest paying to get this reposting done?

CHEESE2009
07-24-2013, 03:40 PM
To answer the question above, yes, custom post-its did do really well!

You can stick them to the underside of the mailbox lids so they basically pop out when clients go to open their mail box. They are so convenient, you can carry stacks in your pocket and go door-to-door... Carrying fliers and even business cards is a little frustrating.

Just peel and stick, peel and stick, peel and stick!

-

Also, I get TONS of calls from my website (.com and .ca).

My company is on twitter, youtube, google places, wordpress blog, reddit, ALL over facebook (I have pages for every promotion, package, etc), and even on my other websites that I own... I'm on craigslist obviously, Kijiji, other sites similar, rating sites... the list goes on.

I just bought another domain to host a different 'forum' website for fun, and it's packed with keywords from my local area, and things people would be searching for within my area - even services that I don't offer, because the website is open to local trades/utilities/services etc to advertise or for people to hire... I have all the control.

-

Getting your company plastered on the internet is actually one of the best possible things you can do, and a few years ago I wouldn't believe it.

In my local area with my top 11 competitors, my website is worth all of theirs combined, and I haven't done any real S.E.O yet.

SexyLikeMath
07-24-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't charge a flat fee or pay a flat fee.

I give something away a flat of flowers, a discount, something of value to the customer. I encourage you to get creative with it if you are going to offer something.

Now I know I've got some people upset and confused and that's OK.
Give this a try.

If you are a business under 5 yrs old, BRANDING! that's what you should be doing.

Marketing and Advertising are more effective when you establish a brand.

*Contrary to popular belief, marketing and advertising are not the same thing.*

Get the customers you need to stay afloat, and build your brand. Then tackle marketing and advertising.

Also, make a plan. I see mostly tactics on here. The real problem is tactics aren't really effective without a strategy. So, now we see your tactic... what's your strategy? Are you calculating this? or just saying "Eh I'm just going to go door to door until someone hires me."

To me that doesn't sound effective or efficient. It doesn't sound like you will consistently see 45% or greater call back.

Calculated Risk People!

sharplawnsturf
07-24-2013, 11:23 PM
My websites have gotten me a majority of my customers this year. I didn't get any hits off of my flyers, i didn't put out enough though, not nearly enough.

I did Exact match domains for the keyword + city i was targeting and made each site different even though they all look the same. so i rank top of first page for many different cities now for lawn care and that has helped me expand to other areas around me. It was a cheap way to go and it has worked pretty good so far.

http://www.sharplawnsturf.com
http://www.lawncaredallasga.com
http://www.lawncareacworth.com
http://www.lawncarekennesawga.com
http://www.lawncarepowderspringsga.com
http://www.lawncarewoodstockga.com

CHEESE2009
07-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Another idea is to offer discounts during every holiday, exclusive to people online who register to your website/reddit, Google+, Google Places, linkedin, like your Facebook, follow you on twitter, etc - but by also using a percent method instead of a dollar method. This gives you full control over what the percentage actually consist of per individual job when quoting.

Note, that not everyone will jump for the deals you offer (not the point anyway); however, because your ads are online and packed with keywords and backlinks, it's similar to planting a seed that will eventually grow into one big mother of a tree later on.

-

A lot of the work will already be done for you over time... I've noticed everything I put on the internet has been (basically) stolen, and advertised on several sites I never knew existed, for free, e.g.:

I'm on Tuugo, shelf3d, lawncare.injolietarea, canpages, etc, without even registering to those sites. My ads are copied with my links and keywords.

Steve
07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
If you are a business under 5 yrs old, BRANDING! that's what you should be doing.

Why is branding so important for the newer business owner? We have seen a lot of discussions on branding here over the years and it seemed that branding was the thing to do once you were established.

Get the customers you need to stay afloat, and build your brand. Then tackle marketing and advertising.

Would this time period be a year before you start branding or more or even less?

SexyLikeMath
07-25-2013, 08:09 PM
First I'd recommend people to look up Marketing and Advertising. Learn what they are.

Second, you're probably not McDonalds, or dare I say TruGreen.

Getting enough clients is easy, regardless of the market you're in. Yes, I too have operations in BFE little town where the market is nothing but Illegal workers of all types, not just immigration.

Pay your bills, put food on the table, put some back into the Co, and eventually start putting some away for yourself. Build a solid rep, work off of the best thing out there for your business, WORD OF MOUTH.

Yes it's slow, yes it's painful. But when you build a solid brand, then market and advertise, tell me how much better off you are than your pears on year 3

...but remember LEARN the math for business. set goals and as always... CALCULATED RISK.

& as for them failing and coming back to me....
I out market and outsell ALL of my completion. Read my other post on the other thread. Orange Kangaroo in Denmark

Steve
07-26-2013, 12:59 PM
WORD OF MOUTH.

Yes it's slow, yes it's painful. But when you build a solid brand, then market and advertise, tell me how much better off you are than your pears on year 3

With this concept, do you feel that most just give up way before word of mouth can ever take place to the scale needed?

SexyLikeMath
07-26-2013, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't sugar coat it so much as to say they just give up or anything like that. I'd say they've never really done it. Laziness is at the core though.

Most are incapable of understanding why or how. This is why they teach Order of Operations the way that they do in schools.

If you can understand that the Order being taught is wrong, and can actually understand why... well that's when you should have an epiphany. The order is taught one way for all to grasp, and yes not just in math.

For all those against what I posted up about Facebook.... take a good hard look at what is actually happening with that. It's an Illusion, a fašade, or whatever you want to call it. But what does it do? other than create massive leads and sales?
It would appear that a customer is referring you. Yep, it should hit you right about.... now.

Leads are good, referrals are exponentially better.

..Wait are you saying that you are creating referrals for yourself?

You got it. Then I turn the customers into referral machines for me.

If you can't or are not accurately predicting the future for your business, well you're doing it wrong. go back to the drawing board.

Steve
07-29-2013, 12:09 PM
You got it. Then I turn the customers into referral machines for me.

I bet a lot of newer business owners don't ask their customer base for referrals because they are concerned they will come across as pushy. Do you have any advice to the newer start ups as to how they can get more referrals from their customers?

SexyLikeMath
07-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Yes, I do have some advice.

Stop being a pushover, and start being a business owner.

First stop asking for anything. Start DOING.

I don't ask my customers, I tell them. Just like how I tell them how much I am charging them, and how we are going to perform works, etc.

Remember though, It's all about the Illusion of control. Let them feel like they are choosing to do it. In reality, you told them to do it, so they do it. Yet they can't quite figure out how you can know the outcome. Magic!

LawnBoy0311
08-01-2013, 07:18 AM
Yes, I do have some advice.

Stop being a pushover, and start being a business owner.

First stop asking for anything. Start DOING.

I don't ask my customers, I tell them. Just like how I tell them how much I am charging them, and how we are going to perform works, etc.

Remember though, It's all about the Illusion of control. Let them feel like they are choosing to do it. In reality, you told them to do it, so they do it. Yet they can't quite figure out how you can know the outcome. Magic!

Thanks David Copperfield.

Steve
08-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Remember though, It's all about the Illusion of control. Let them feel like they are choosing to do it. In reality, you told them to do it

I have a feeling this is a concept that is not coming across to the forum members. Can you give us a basic example of what you mean when you say illusion of control and how it is applied in this field?

CHEESE2009
08-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Thanks David Copperfield.

http://deadcurious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/lmao-data1.jpeg

Ducke
11-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Here's my take on FB and website advertising.
Numbers are OK but I can have 5000 likes on face book or 10,000 hits on my website but id none of them are from my area what good are they.
I had a twitter account with 850 followers 1% where in my country and only .5% of those where in my City.I have since changed my approach to FB and Twitter etc. I feed the address information to my customers on weekly invoices and monthly statements etc. I then use them to advertise to their friends and neighbors. I am seeing my % change slowly but they are changing and my local area membership/Likes/Followers is increasing.
As for sales via FB and Twitter it is low but my website sale are up. This i equate to the distribution of Postcards and business cards at restaurants and barber shops etc. So as as for social media as a sole source I would say NO I would still stick to conventional methods as well.

Steve
11-04-2013, 04:10 PM
I then use them to advertise to their friends and neighbors.

How do you get them to advertise you to their neighbors and friends?

Ducke
11-07-2013, 06:52 PM
I do fantastic work. People talk people see word spreads it is the easiest and least expensive advertising you can do.

I have this one street I do 6 lawns on this street when someone asks about my work I tell them to take a drive down this street and have a look , they usually ask which ones I do I always say the same thing "You tell me which one's I do" I have approx 98% sales with that line. One drive down the street and you can see which I do and ones others do.

Let your work do the selling for you. It will work better then any Social Media will ever do and it hits you market demographic every time no guess work at all.:D As I said in my other post why do I care if someone from the UK or Florida or Alaska Friends or Likes my page it the people in my business area that matter to me. They are were the money is, So do your best work every time and that will bring in more work then you can handle.

This is why I have had a Tripled my business profit in year two and Doubled my Business profit in year three. But I have only had a 50% increase in Customers.
Looking at some other Stat's from 2012 85% of my customers are over 65
15% of my lawns are new contraction 25% are monthly payments only 5% pay on line 35% have e-mail 75% get full package Service here's a good one 70% pay in cash 25 % by Cheque.

I haven't even looked at 2013 yet as I am still doing Fall Clean ups but I will over the winter just because I'm a numbers nut. :rolleyes:

Steve
11-07-2013, 11:33 PM
That is great! Do you ever wonder if all this push for marketing with social media is big now because it is easy to do? And things that are easy to do tend to not bring results?

It's the hard work, the selling person to person that is the tough part that is ignored?

Ducke
11-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Social Media is so widely used because it cheap. Plan and simple.
Its all hit and miss its getting to the point that so many people have gotten burned using Social Media that its getting harder and harder to get good customers that way. Craig's List and Ebay and Kijiji are all getting bad feel about them as more and more fly by nighters and con artists use it to rip people off.
There is a lot to be said about face to face sales. Yes you can make or brake a sale in person this is were the skill of the sale comes in, trying to convince someone to pay more for you than some other smuck doing the same thing,
Do your best job every time make no exceptions to that rule one good job can sell 5 new jobs. one bad job can loose you 100 new jobs.
Another good thing is to join your local and national lawn care Assertion's
Get your self certified advertise your fully insured these thing make you standout of the crowed especially from the want to be mowers out there.

Darksteel
01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Also, I get TONS of calls from my website (.com and .ca).

My company is on twitter, youtube, google places, wordpress blog, reddit, ALL over facebook (I have pages for every promotion, package, etc), and even on my other websites that I own... I'm on craigslist obviously, Kijiji, other sites similar, rating sites... the list goes on.

I just bought another domain to host a different 'forum' website for fun, and it's packed with keywords from my local area, and things people would be searching for within my area - even services that I don't offer, because the website is open to local trades/utilities/services etc to advertise or for people to hire... I have all the control.

-

Getting your company plastered on the internet is actually one of the best possible things you can do, and a few years ago I wouldn't believe it.

This is exactly the opposite of what I want to hear. :(

Darksteel
01-29-2014, 06:13 PM
why do I care if someone from the UK or Florida or Alaska Friends or Likes my page it the people in my business area that matter to me.

This makes more sense to me.:)

Steve
01-30-2014, 03:09 PM
This is exactly the opposite of what I want to hear.

Why so? What are your thoughts on that?