PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting into Home Improvement

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I thought of this before but I keep finding more and more out of work carpenters. I give them jobs there overqualified for. Now I'm thinking I should start advertising for work there more suited for.

I dont plan on making a killing or anything like that. Just trying to find some better paying work for some of my guys.

The only downside is relying on their expertise instead of my own. They all know more then I do about building and masonry work. On the flip side they know next to nothing about running a business and marketing.

I have the majority of equipment already and what I dont have I can get from them or buy. So theres not much of a investment involved.

So what you guys think?

CHEESE2009
05-15-2012, 05:33 PM
It's tough to say. I've got a painter coming to me for advice on the business side of it all too.

Though, I just don't feel right if I were to let someone manage a 'department' of my company if I don't FULLY understand it, or I understand it much better than the person wanting to do it under my name. lol.

Painting isn't so risky, but any interior reno work could cost you your company and more in so many ways! Really though call.

The best thing a company could do is expand its services, but it's easier said than done for sure!

JeffK26
05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I would start out slow with it.

Maybe start out this summer and advertise you do custom decks and/or privacy fences. Decks are a part of the landscape. There are a couple companies here in St Louis that only do decks. I think it might be a good ad on and help the guys do what they most likely miss and raise moral even more. I did carpentry work and I know I miss it. I love mowing grass and taking care of lawns more, but I do love doing wood work as well.

If it works out then next year move into sun rooms, or more.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Starting out I have more experience then I did with landscaping. I did general construction for a few years but never masonry work. I pretty much was the gopher of the crews at the time.

I would target decks, installing gutters, walks, painting, roofing, siding, seal coating and retaining walls. Some of that is landscape related but I currently dont have the experience to pull it off.

Over the years I lost a few guys when they found work in their trade. This year I already lost two. I replaced one with a general contractor that has over 25 years experience. Eventually he'll get a offer to lead a crew and leave too but for now I could really learn a lot from him. Hes the first I talked to that has bidding formulas for each service.

The way I see it I could land the jobs. Have him be the foreman and I would supply a guy or two for the labor. This way I can pay him better then I do now and hes doing what hes good at.

Steve
05-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Are you interested in this at all? Would you like to learn more about it?

What do you feel are the benefits to offering these additional services and what are your thoughts as to the cons of it?