PDA

View Full Version : New truck and trailer vinyl. What do you guys think?

Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012, 03:41 PM
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q578/John_Haelen/8ec64768.jpghttp://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q578/John_Haelen/fa53299d.jpg
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q578/John_Haelen/a79ff2fa.jpg

Just got this done about a week ago and I've already picked up 11 new accounts. Everyone seems to like it. What do you guys think?

Cashin H&P
05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
I like the truck nuts as much as the next guy but I would keep then on your company truck some may find it offensive

Hedgemaster
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Looks like Johnny's been eating a lot of BEANS! :D

It's a shame they didn't do your name in yellow instead so it doesn't get lost on the truck door.
Congrats on the vinyl though!

And yeah... testicles on your work truck is just plain tacky. Why not a big, limp Johnson, or a huge fahgina hood ornament while you're at it? :eek:

stevef1201
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
I remember reading somewhere that a guy got arrested for his truck nutz

Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Haha believe it or not a lot of my customers think the truck nuts are pretty funny. I agree with you guys though so I'll be removing the ballsack from my truck today :( poor truck

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Ahahaha! My laugh for the day..Nice vinyl

JeffK26
05-14-2012, 08:53 PM
I like the vinyl, looks great!

Agree with the others about the ballsack, and glad you're getting rid of it....

I'm sure there is a balance of what customers want, but actually i have signed 3 customers this year because the last guy went "too fast".

Perception is truth. I may mow their lawn in the same amount of time, maybe a couple minutes slower, but the perception is I take my time. My take on it is me and you give a bid. I win because they see how "fast' you are.

I have found the only way being fast means jack squat is on ********, the site where solo guys do 800 accounts a week on their own, no one charges less than $800 a week and everyone has a lawn mower for a ball sack and everyone has $50 grand in equipment that is all paid for and has no more than 8 hours on it.

People that don't care how fast you mow their lawn are the same people that will hire the cheapest guy to do it.

I hope you don't take offense because I don't mean it that way. But most of my clients find "fast" means crap, no matter how good the lawn actually is.

Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012, 09:44 PM
I like the vinyl, looks great!

Agree with the others about the ballsack, and glad you're getting rid of it....

I'm sure there is a balance of what customers want, but actually i have signed 3 customers this year because the last guy went "too fast".

Perception is truth. I may mow their lawn in the same amount of time, maybe a couple minutes slower, but the perception is I take my time. My take on it is me and you give a bid. I win because they see how "fast' you are.

I have found the only way being fast means jack squat is on ********, the site where solo guys do 800 accounts a week on their own, no one charges less than $800 a week and everyone has a lawn mower for a ball sack and everyone has $50 grand in equipment that is all paid for and has no more than 8 hours on it.

People that don't care how fast you mow their lawn are the same people that will hire the cheapest guy to do it.

I hope you don't take offense because I don't mean it that way. But most of my clients find "fast" means crap, no matter how good the lawn actually is.

No offense taken. I race motorcycles as a hobby and everyone has called me Johnny Rocket since I was young so that's where the name comes from. Although I feel I do knock out my accounts in a fairly reasonable time frame I always, and I mean always, remember that my name is on every job I perform. In my 9 years in the business I've never lost a customer to poor quality work. The handful I have lost have either passed away, moved to another state, etc. I do 95% of the work myself so I'm always aware that if there are any concerns with my quality that it will fall directly on me. Thanks for the input guys

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-14-2012, 09:56 PM
You beat me to it....I was gonna say, whos to say Johnny Rocket didnt get his nickname because hes into motorsports in his spare time? Let your work speak for itself. When I see your " setup" my perception is.." Nice truck, not a rust bucket! Sharp looking trailer, this guy spent some money to look legit, puts money back into his company" Your 9th year says something, your obviously doing something right!

dpld
05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
i think it looks marvelous and wish you the best.

i agree about the truck nutz but i also find those fuel filters underneath in a precarious position.

i have never seen them stick out from underneath like that on the dodge dually diesels before.
maybe they have been like that and i never noticed:confused:

Steve
05-15-2012, 12:58 PM
The truck and trailer look fantastic!

How has getting your truck all lettered up like that changed things for you? I think a lot of forum readers are on the fence about doing it so it would be fascinating to hear more of your insights to help them make their decision to do it.

Johnny Rocket
05-15-2012, 01:45 PM
i think it looks marvelous and wish you the best.

i agree about the truck nutz but i also find those fuel filters underneath in a precarious position.

i have never seen them stick out from underneath like that on the dodge dually diesels before.
maybe they have been like that and i never noticed:confused:

The 2nd gen dodge cummins are notorious for lift pump failures. The filters you see hanging is the AirDog kit which, I agree, hangs quite low but I always carry a spare fuel filter and water separator at all times and in the 4 years I've owned the truck I have never had an issue even when plowing. One of these day when I have some time to give the truck a rest, I'll fab up some type of brackets to relocate the filters and pump.*
Also, thanks for the compliments on the vinyl!! This forum is pretty awesome so far and I enjoy reading all of your opinions.*

Johnny Rocket
05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
The truck and trailer look fantastic!

How has getting your truck all lettered up like that changed things for you? I think a lot of forum readers are on the fence about doing it so it would be fascinating to hear more of your insights to help them make their decision to do it.

Steve, great question! For the past 8 years I have always managed to have about 30-40 customers steadily with a boring plain white enclosed trailer and my truck. I was always fairly busy and all of my customers were either from word of mouth (recommended by current customers) or a neighbor to a current customer, etc. I never really looked for work it always somehow managed to come to me, or so I thought.*

Like I said previously, I managed to get 11 new accounts within the first week or so after getting my truck and trailer lettered up. I honestly could not believe the reaction I got from people. I have been and still continue to get compliments every where I go.*

For example, I was fueling up at the local QuickChek (gas station) and the gentleman pumping gas next to me started laughing. I peek around the pump and he said "That looks awesome!" he loved my logo and, after talking with him for a few minutes, I'm now doing his lawn maintenance every week for about $70 per occasion.*
My only regret is not getting my truck and trailer lettered up sooner. Unfortunately the old trailer I was using (7'x16' enclosed) previously wasn't in the greatest shape and just wasn't worth getting lettered up in my opinion. This past winter I bit the bullet, bought a brand new 8.5'x20' v-nose trailer and told myself I was time to give the vinyl a shot. I couldn't be happier with the results. If you're on the fence about getting it done I say take the leap and do it!

JeffK26
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
It is a great job.

I know you said no offense taken and this post is not about that or to you, but I want to be clear for others.

It's a great job, it looks great. We are on a forum, where I am not from his area. I do not know him. I do not know his background. He asked for an opinion, I gave it. I have worked in a few service industries. And many people like me have had service done to my home, apartment and vehicles.

I am guilty and have seen others guilty of not speaking harshly so as to not upset someone. Hedge's blade sharpening is a good example. Everyone likes Hedge, no one wants to "hurt his feelings" so no one responds to a post about sharpening blades until he says he did not do them, then he gets tons of responses. How does that help Hedge? If he did sharpen them, he gets no response, therefor he has to assume he does a good job, he keeps cutting and they are crap. he gets no response and assumes it is a good job, so he keeps taking them back to the same guy, making his image suffer.

It was not a putdown of the job or his company, but I have had 3 customers call me for bids because the guys they have use a zero turn and go hog wild on their lawns to get done as fast as they can.

Johnny is well known in the area, that does not apply to him, but customers can and do think that so it was a valid comment for others that may want to use speed as an advertising method.

ringahding1
05-16-2012, 05:33 AM
Looks great to me! Yeah dump the sack. "You can please most, just not all"

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
07-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah i actually had a lady come tell me the other day that I need to go to jail for cuttin a lawn so fast (scag v-ride) and im like WTF!!!

But with that bein said with the orange (cats eye yellow) mower you MUST run scag right???? (lol)

But get yo $$$$ thats all we doin!!!

Im takin it you got your trailer from GA??? I just got a 7 x 16 but I couldent see myself gettin a 8.5 x 20 and it was for $700 more but then I was like if I was to get a trailer that side I will run another crew lol

Godslapper
07-15-2012, 11:20 PM
I've got the same trailer but mine has a lot of dents in it.

My truck lost it's balls about 100,000 miles ago and I lost mine when I got married. She keeps them in a jar. I'm not sure where.:(