PDA

View Full Version : Square credit card reader

veteranslawncaresystems
05-13-2012, 02:29 AM
i just ordered my square credit card reader so i can accept credit cards/ debit cards, should have it in a few days. Have any of you guys used this yet. if you have or if not what do you think

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I use it but the fee does add up when doing large jobs. I also had a credit card charge back recently. So Im all about that cash now.

Steve
05-13-2012, 10:57 AM
What kind of fees are involved with that reader? What made you decide to go with that one?

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Select they all charge fees and it seems Square is even or better rates then others. What happened with the charge back?

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Select they all charge fees and it seems Square is even or better rates then others. What happened with the charge back?

The fees are cheaper then most. So its not a problem unless your doing $2000 jobs. I would just take a check in that case.

They took the money back and are holding it while a investigation is going on. They could hold it for up to 75 days.

Hedgemaster
05-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Does that allow you to take credit cards without physically swiping the card? For example, the owner of a rental property who lives out of state - could they provide a CC number over the phone to enter in, allowing me to accept payment before doing the job?
I hate asking for payment up front and having to wait for it to arrive by snail mail before cutting.

yourscape
05-13-2012, 07:10 PM
i just ordered my square credit card reader so i can accept credit cards/ debit cards, should have it in a few days. Have any of you guys used this yet. if you have or if not what do you think

Square Up is a nice service and easy to use. The fees do add up though. You pay 3% plus a I believe a $.18 per charge if you type in the card information and not swipe the card.

I have a couple of customers that I use the service with once a month which is easy to collect payment and only email the invoice. So it does save me by not paying postage to mail there invoices. I do not push the credit card payment I only do it if the customer asks.

I have checked into other company's but if you do not do a lot of transactions it does not pay to go with them. So far I am happy with Square Up. FYI transaction over something like $2k can take up to a week to receive your money otherwise less takes a day or 2 and is deposited right into my account.

Hope this helps.

Hedgemaster
05-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Another question:

Is the customer required to provide an email address?
I thought I read that when I looked into Square last year. Something about emailing "something" to them automatically? I don't recall exactly.

yourscape
05-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Another question:

Is the customer required to provide an email address?
I thought I read that when I looked into Square last year. Something about emailing "something" to them automatically? I don't recall exactly.

No, you need the CC #, CVS # on back, Name and billing zip. I oked it with my customers that I sign my initials since it requires an signature.

Hedgemaster
05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
No, you need the CC #, CVS # on back, Name and billing zip. I oked it with my customers that I sign my initials since it requires an signature.

Thanks. I may revisit the idea.
99% of my clients leave me a check or cash on day of service, but when you get a call from someone out of the area, and they have a big job, I'd rather be paid first. This would allow me to get right to the job rather than waiting for a check because I don't trust them.

Steve
05-14-2012, 09:20 AM
When is it ideal to use a credit card for payment and when is it not?