PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

Shark1611
05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
How many of you do or alow smoking while working on a job site? I do not smoke, never have and do not plan to. But I have an employee who does. I will not alow smoking in my truck so I find him smoking while mowing customers lawns. If I give him a smoke break I will have down time, but what he is doing now I feel is not professional. :confused:

veteranslawncaresystems
05-12-2012, 02:55 PM
i do smoke when on the road that is it. i do not allow any employees smoke while they are servicing a customer. they always ask for smoke breaks and i tell them smoke when you are on the road, because that is what i do

Shark1611
05-12-2012, 03:43 PM
i do smoke when on the road that is it. i do not allow any employees smoke while they are servicing a customer. they always ask for smoke breaks and i tell them smoke when you are on the road, because that is what i do

Thanks for the quick response. One of those things I never thought about when I started up the business.

lawnman3fl
05-12-2012, 04:08 PM
tell them to look into electronic cigarettes or e-cigs thats what i did 3 years ago and never looked back its a nasty habit to deal with if your not a smoker ... no offence to those who smoke its there choice...

here is a e cigarette company web address they can look into
cloudsofvapor.com

lawnman3 fl...:cool::cool::cool:

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-12-2012, 06:19 PM
My worker smokes...as long as he's worth a damn and is productive he can do what he wants....but only by the truck and throw the butts in the bed

picframer
05-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I smoke as do some employees but not on a clients property unless they light up, not in the vehicles as those who do not smoke may be driving them at some point.

CHEESE2009
05-12-2012, 06:44 PM
I smoke.

http://wellmedicated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/63.jpg

Your guy will be more productive if you let him enjoy one. If you are a non smoker, I can understand that it annoys you if he does it in between properties while you are driving. However, maybe it's something to consider letting him do?

You can even have him toss the cigarette before nearing the property.

-

If you want him to still be productive, there are things he can do while smoking. Have him Windex the interior of the truck for example.

-

They create menthol cigarettes, just throwing that out there :)

Hedgemaster
05-12-2012, 08:45 PM
If you're smoking while working for a client you look like a hack. I don't care what you think, or how many thousands of dollars you have in equipment - you look like trash.

Sorry. The world has changed. You'd better adjust.

My neighbor's lawn guys smoke while mowing. They look like criminals, do crappy work, and blow grass onto the street. Effing douchebag gave me a "thumbs up" as he drove by after leaving my neighborhood looking worse than before he cut.

That's the image that goes along with smoking on the job. Don't be a butt head. :D

JeffK26
05-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Yup. I see lawn crews smoking while mowing.

They look like douchebags.

I didn't get the job because my price was "high", but a potential client was asking for bids because her current company smoked while they mowed her lawn. I don't smoke, the guy she hired doesn't smoke. He lawn looked nice, and what I could tell they took care of the lawn, but she just didn't want people smoking while working on her property. Goes to show ya it's not always the quality cut................it's the smoking, cursing, unprofessional behavior that loses the job and opens it for you.

Shark1611
05-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Thank you guys for the information. The employee that I am talking about is flat out awesome with his work. I have not had any of my customers comment about him smoking so that is why I was asking. I am not a smoker, but I do not judge those who are. Some properties are vacation homes and there is no one at home. But I do have high end homes and apartments whre people are present. Thanks again you have given me things to think about. I guess the worst that could happen is he quits, or will stop to smoking cutting down on efficiency.

Shark1611
05-12-2012, 10:51 PM
My worker smokes...as long as he's worth a damn and is productive he can do what he wants....but only by the truck and throw the butts in the bed

He puts the butts in his pocket but smokes while weed eating. It just snuck up on me and I have not said anything about it for three months. He is very productive and makes me money. Thanks

Hedgemaster
05-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Keep in mind that even though you may not be aware of it, someone is always watching.

Everyone should work as though you are being watched.

I picked up several clients because the previous crew was overheard cursing and just generally having a bad attitude. The owner wasn't home, but her neighbor was. Word got back to her and then the neighbor asked for my info to pass along and in the end I got that job and then three other neighbors who had also used said crew of potty mouths.

I found out all of this after the fact, but yeah... someone is always watching you work.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-13-2012, 06:57 AM
A little too far Hedge , quite amusing though when you say crappy work..I have the best looking yards in here. Although I'm a smoker, I do not smoke while working because it does look unprofessional....to say "douchebag" is pretty narrow minded, it's like me calling you a fa**ot because you don't have a Professional landscape trailer. Toodles

Hedgemaster
05-13-2012, 08:05 AM
A little too far Hedge , quite amusing though when you say crappy work..I have the best looking yards in here. Although I'm a smoker, I do not smoke while working because it does look unprofessional....to say "douchebag" is pretty narrow minded, it's like me calling you a fa**ot because you don't have a Professional landscape trailer. Toodles

Read this part again...
My neighbor's lawn guys smoke while mowing. They look like criminals, do crappy work, and blow grass onto the street.

I was speaking specifically about those guys - THEY do crappy work and ARE douchebags.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that this ^ is the image that comes to mind when I see someone smoking on the job. Fair or not, it's what society has conditioned us to think. Smoking used to be "normal", acceptable, even "cool" behavior. That has changed.

You said it yourself - smoking while working looks "unprofessional".
That's really what it boils down to.

JeffK26
05-13-2012, 08:47 AM
My wife smokes, I smoke when I drink. Smoking in itself doesn't make anyone look like a douchebag, but WHERE people smoke does.

When I see a crew smoking while mowing a lawn it's looks unprofessional. Might as well light up in their home if you were a plumber or HVAC tech, etc.

I don't think anyone is saying smokers do a bad job. People are saying it looks pretty bad when smoking ON the job.

Plus it sets you up for failure. A smoker can be careful with every single butt and never drop one. A car drives by a home the smoker mows and they flick the cig out the window. There is a butt in the lawn, the owner saw the smoker smoking while working so it is automatically the smoker's butt.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I apologize if I came off mean and conceited ..... I hadn't had my morning cigarette yet! But yes when alls said and done..I agree with what you all are saying. As long as my guy does good work I'm content with it... One thing I will not tolerate is a worker who sags his pants past his ***...THAT is the worst.

CHEESE2009
05-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I apologize if I came off mean and conceited ..... I hadn't had my morning cigarette yet!

LOL!

-

I believe it all comes down to respecting those around you. Smoking on a property is silly, because that is disrespectful to the homeowners. If they have windows open, they don't want to smell smoke.

Smoking is a lifestyle choice, everyone has something unhealthy about them. A lot of the times people try to inform me of how bad smoking is, I can usually pick something about them that is just as bad that they refuse to change.

Sure I may smoke, but some people are overweight and don't do anything about it either. Some people are just bad people in general. Smokers are just an easy target, and that's all!

If someone washes their hands after using the washroom every time, stays in shape, doesn't smoke, doesn't beat their wife or children, goes to bed early to wake up early, then this person may seem better than the rest of us, but I'm pretty sure this person may be a serial killer. lol

-

The only thing I truly hate in this world, is those who hop on the bandwagon of things just to be apart of a bigger group of people who can't think for themselves.

Shark1611
05-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, it looks like I need to tell him to stop smoking while working. With all these post I just got to do it. If he quits he quits and I will move on and find someone else. Just upset with myself for not taking care of it from the get go.

I know you guys are not telling me how to run my business but I do have to tell you that my gut feeling was that I never did like it. I just let it go because he makes me money. Ha, and I guess if he quits over something like this he does not want to work for me anyway.

Thanks everyone.

CHEESE2009
05-15-2012, 05:55 AM
lunch break;
http://abettertodayblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/drug_abuse.jpg

PineHillLawn
05-15-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm not a smoker, but used to be, and I think it does come off very unprofessional to smoke while at someones house. You have to keep in mind, you are on someone elses property, that deserves respect while you are there. If you're smoking on their property and they dispise smoking, as many people now do, you look unprofessional and in this day and age, smoking has become a dirty, nasty habit that more and more people speak out against. When certain towns and cities are putting a stop to smoking inside resturants and even bars now, you know it's being looked down upon a ton more than it used to be. I won't hire someone that smokes while on a property. You can wait to either get back in the truck or wait till you get to a lunch break. Just my two cents!!

ringahding1
05-16-2012, 05:42 AM
No smoking while working on YOUR properties......PERIOD...I am a heavy smoker and I wait until the job is complete...

Make it a RULE..it is your company after all

veteranslawncaresystems
05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
i dont allow smoking while working, but what is your customer smoked would that change your opion in smoking while working or talking with the customer

PineHillLawn
05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
i dont allow smoking while working, but what is your customer smoked would that change your opion in smoking while working or talking with the customer

Not in my opinion it wouldn't. I don't mind a customer smoking in front as we talk but what would bother me is, if a neighbor saw us talking and me or my guys were smoking too, that might be a red flag to a not want me to mow there yard. Business is business! First impressions are a big deal to alot of people. Your always being watched, no matter if you think you are or not while out on a property. I know something like smoking isn't a big deal to some but, to others it can be a huge deal, you have to make sure you are always coming off as professional and I think smoking on someones property looks bad for business.

CHEESE2009
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Well if Santa can do it...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kynb07Jk221qac8i1.jpg

Cashin H&P
05-16-2012, 09:41 PM
I dip, I have one employee who smokes and I do not allow him to smoke at a job site. I also do not allow smoking in the truck as I do not want my truck to smell worse then it does after a long day of mowing anyway haha. on a serious note though When im dipping i can present my self as if im doing nothing out of the ordinary which helps, I still try not to chew while on a job site thouhg mostly cuz ill end up spitting on my self at some piont and thats nasty

JeffK26
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
You always have to think about who is watching.

You have one customer that smokes, so it's ok to smoke around him/her. 3 neighbors see you smoking on that neighbors lot. That deters them from hiring you.
sure, you do a great job, sure every line is straight, sure ever edge is straight, sure everything looks like a MLB park...everything is always perfect............except, smoking............... "hey i have a customer that doesn't care if I smoke all day at his property. You just lost 1-3 customers that do not want that no matter how the end result is.

Some don't mind, some do....., but there are people that will not hire you if you smoke, no matter what type of work you do............but no one will NOT hire you because you do NOT smoke.

It may suck, it may not...but the bottom line is always this...........the customer is paying you money to perform a service they can do themselves or hire someone else to do. Why hurt your chances over a freakin stupid thing like a freakin cigarette?

The customer is not always right, but they are right if they don't want a smoker on their property. It is their property after all.

PineHillLawn
05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
You always have to think about who is watching.

You have one customer that smokes, so it's ok to smoke around him/her. 3 neighbors see you smoking on that neighbors lot. That deters them from hiring you.
sure, you do a great job, sure every line is straight, sure ever edge is straight, sure everything looks like a MLB park...everything is always perfect............except, smoking............... "hey i have a customer that doesn't care if I smoke all day at his property. You just lost 1-3 customers that do not want that no matter how the end result is.

Some don't mind, some do....., but there are people that will not hire you if you smoke, no matter what type of work you do............but no one will NOT hire you because you do NOT smoke.

It may suck, it may not...but the bottom line is always this...........the customer is paying you money to perform a service they can do themselves or hire someone else to do. Why hurt your chances over a freakin stupid thing like a freakin cigarette?

The customer is not always right, but they are right if they don't want a smoker on their property. It is their property after all.

Couldn't have said it better. My thoughts exactly!!!!

Grass Doctor
05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
how about this i smoke menthol's love the smoke coming out of my mouth i smoke in my truck in the job where ever i feel like lighting up one. if a customer approach me which is very common i just say excuse me ligth off the cigarette and putted on my pocket, this dont bother me at all i understand personal relationship it part of my business, so back to this smoking subject i have had lets say 3 to 4 of my customer inviting inside there homes to get an appraisal they want to sit down and their comfort zone so to the customer want he wants i dont go to McDonald and let them serve me whatever they want i am detailed when it comes to me spending my money so i ask for what i want. i do what i want that please me with it. so they star talking about the job and light up a cigarette ask me if it was okey for them to smoke :confused: what should said :eek: its your house u can do what ever u want with it right :) they ask me if i smoke i said yes they offer me one i said no thanks i said i smoke menthol they said u can smoke if u want to :D sure, again customer service its my first priority, for me customers don't really care if u smoke or not they will probably care more on the way u are dress, i wear polo shirts (under armor) short's, boots or golf tennis shoes i dont have any type of piercing i had ear piercing but i took them off after i got my very first call for business never put them back. more than smoking i will say what affects you its ur personallythe way you talk i have customers that even buy pizzas for me and my crew every day serving us cafe and donuts in the morning before we star working, when i do 3 or more days landscape jobs there is no way i am going to stay whit out smoking for 3 days have that make me look bad not at all they have call me back and refer me to their friends all they care about quality. i HAVE SMOKE INSIDE CUSTOMERS HOUSES ;) they have never ask me for a discount and yes i got the jobs and make good money. oh by the way this customers live in gated community's in houses of 350.000 to 500.000 not low life people. i should stop smoking its bad for my health :D .

PineHillLawn
05-24-2012, 11:42 AM
how about this i smoke menthol's love the smoke coming out of my mouth i smoke in my truck in the job where ever i feel like lighting up one. if a customer approach me which is very common i just say excuse me ligth off the cigarette and putted on my pocket, this dont bother me at all i understand personal relationship it part of my business, so back to this smoking subject i have had lets say 3 to 4 of my customer inviting inside there homes to get an appraisal they want to sit down and their comfort zone so to the customer want he wants i dont go to McDonald and let them serve me whatever they want i am detailed when it comes to me spending my money so i ask for what i want. i do what i want that please me with it. so they star talking about the job and light up a cigarette ask me if it was okey for them to smoke :confused: what should said :eek: its your house u can do what ever u want with it right :) they ask me if i smoke i said yes they offer me one i said no thanks i said i smoke menthol they said u can smoke if u want to :D sure, again customer service its my first priority, for me customers don't really care if u smoke or not they will probably care more on the way u are dress, i wear polo shirts (under armor) short's, boots or golf tennis shoes i dont have any type of piercing i had ear piercing but i took them off after i got my very first call for business never put them back. more than smoking i will say what affects you its ur personallythe way you talk i have customers that even buy pizzas for me and my crew every day serving us cafe and donuts in the morning before we star working, when i do 3 or more days landscape jobs there is no way i am going to stay whit out smoking for 3 days have that make me look bad not at all they have call me back and refer me to their friends all they care about quality. i HAVE SMOKE INSIDE CUSTOMERS HOUSES ;) they have never ask me for a discount and yes i got the jobs and make good money. oh by the way this customers live in gated community's in houses of 350.000 to 500.000 not low life people. i should stop smoking its bad for my health :D .

Ok, once I finally got the jist of what your saying in this post (not easy to do by the way) I understood what your saying (kind of). In my book, you never smoke on or around a customer or their property. If you need a smoke go to the truck and have one. Smoking is something people are tolerating less and less these days. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking, that's your choice. I used to smoke and did so for over ten years. But the majority of people nowadays don't want to smell it. I know one of my customers, that if she saw me smoking on her property I'd get fired on the spot. Thats how I landed her in the first place. Her old lawn care service guy smoked while he mowed her yard and it pissed her off, so she hired me. You have to use common sense when it comes to others property. If they dont mind smoking, fine smoke, but you need to know that before you just do it "where ever i feel like lighting up one".

Grass Doctor
05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Ok, once I finally got the jist of what your saying in this post (not easy to do by the way) I understood what your saying (kind of). In my book, you never smoke on or around a customer or their property. If you need a smoke go to the truck and have one. Smoking is something people are tolerating less and less these days. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking, that's your choice. I used to smoke and did so for over ten years. But the majority of people nowadays don't want to smell it. I know one of my customers, that if she saw me smoking on her property I'd get fired on the spot. Thats how I landed her in the first place. Her old lawn care service guy smoked while he mowed her yard and it pissed her off, so she hired me. You have to use common sense when it comes to others property. If they dont mind smoking, fine smoke, but you need to know that before you just do it "where ever i feel like lighting up one".

sure i get the point and im sorry for my tarzan English thanks for talking ur time, but dont u think there is more important thinks than this smoking think like the way u dress or talk with ur crew or act in their homes in my case most of my customers they even tell me that if i need their restrooms all i need to do is ask or open the door:confused: i never done this, thats too far bothering for me. but i believe that its trust from their part and their please whit our work. i will not let use my restrooms to any body that i dont know i have even being invite it to their special occasions Christmas, thanks giving etc. and yes i smoke in their properties and they know i do i truly believe they care more about the quality than if u smoke or not but ill change my contracts and put in a section if they will want to make their home a non smoking area while we service their lawn or landscape their house for customers like your its a free country after all brother.

some like some of our crew members are smoker so please let us know if u will be obsessed if we smoke in your property and like to little boxes one for yes and one for no so this smoking issue its solve :D.

PineHillLawn
05-24-2012, 02:05 PM
sure i get the point and im sorry for my tarzan English thanks for talking ur time, but dont u think there is more important thinks than this smoking think like the way u dress or talk with ur crew or act in their homes in my case most of my customers they even tell me that if i need their restrooms all i need to do is ask or open the door:confused: i never done this, thats too far bothering for me. but i believe that its trust from their part and their please whit our work. i will not let use my restrooms to any body that i dont know i have even being invite it to their special occasions Christmas, thanks giving etc. and yes i smoke in their properties and they know i do i truly believe they care more about the quality than if u smoke or not but ill change my contracts and put in a section if they will want to make their home a non smoking area while we service their lawn or landscape their house for customers like your its a free country after all brother.

some like some of our crew members are smoker so please let us know if u will be obsessed if we smoke in your property and like to little boxes one for yes and one for no so this smoking issue its solve :D.

I think the overall presentation you put out to customers, should always, first and foremost, come off as professional. For instance, if you dress in a uniform, wear a company shirt and shorts/pants, but you smoke while on a property or are cussing or anything of that nature, it would come off as non-professional, even if you do outstanding work. People want the whole package. Polite, curtious, well mannered, hard workers that look like they know what they're doing will get more jobs.

If Bob, has an old riding mower in his truck bed with a new sign that says Bob's Mowing, and is driving down the road smoking as he goes not in a uniform, while Tim, has a trailer, a walk behind, a ZTR, Trimmer Racks and Blowers on it, plus has a uniform and isn't smoking, who do you think looks more professional?
Now Bob may do an amazing job, but just from the looks of it, and without seeing the lawns either have done, I would chose Tim because he looks more professional, he looks like he's more legit. He may cost more but his presentation is by far better than Bob's. You have to accept that people watch you at every part of the day you are out and about. If you make yourself look professional and act it, your more likely to get jobs from anyone looking for lawn care. Bob may only get jobs from people who don't mind smoking and who don't mind the lack in professionalism. It just how life is.

CHEESE2009
05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
do this in your customers face

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6272261_f260.jpg

That'll teach em to stay away from you while you are working!

PineHillLawn
05-24-2012, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=CHEESE2009;108620]do this in your customers face

That'll teach em to stay away from you while you are working![/QUOTE

Ha Ha! Nice! I say smoke away in customers yards, it could mean a job for another crew, maybe mine!!!

Grass Doctor
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=CHEESE2009;108620]do this in your customers face

That'll teach em to stay away from you while you are working![/QUOTE

Ha Ha! Nice! I say smoke away in customers yards, it could mean a job for another crew, maybe mine!!!

311,601,611 this is the percentage of people that live in America including new born baby 45% of this people are smokers what will be the number :D if will have them all as customers and i will be the larger landscaping business in the world :confused: :D iwill put this in my new advertisement if ur current lawn care business don't want to serve u cause u smoke we do take are talking smoking customers :eek: LOL whats the number around 265,603,111 just by guessing i will take them all my friend. i belive they give a s.... if u smoke or not:D

Grass Doctor
05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
I think the overall presentation you put out to customers, should always, first and foremost, come off as professional. For instance, if you dress in a uniform, wear a company shirt and shorts/pants, but you smoke while on a property or are cussing or anything of that nature, it would come off as non-professional, even if you do outstanding work. People want the whole package. Polite, curtious, well mannered, hard workers that look like they know what they're doing will get more jobs.

If Bob, has an old riding mower in his truck bed with a new sign that says Bob's Mowing, and is driving down the road smoking as he goes not in a uniform, while Tim, has a trailer, a walk behind, a ZTR, Trimmer Racks and Blowers on it, plus has a uniform and isn't smoking, who do you think looks more professional?
Now Bob may do an amazing job, but just from the looks of it, and without seeing the lawns either have done, I would chose Tim because he looks more professional, he looks like he's more legit. He may cost more but his presentation is by far better than Bob's. You have to accept that people watch you at every part of the day you are out and about. If you make yourself look professional and act it, your more likely to get jobs from anyone looking for lawn care. Bob may only get jobs from people who don't mind smoking and who don't mind the lack in professionalism. It just how life is.

you right bro plus i need to stop good point ill try to stop by only smoking in the truck for now:cool: