PDA

View Full Version : out of business for a while

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 12:42 PM
:mad::(:confused:
so i went to the doctor today and came home and both enclosed trailers are gone. can you say wtf i am pissed. and none of my neighbors seen anything. filed a police report and waiting for insurance company to call me back

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
wow..... That is totally f upped. I feel for you man.

Do you have serial numbers of everything?

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
ya i did police are going to let the pawn shops know and said it wont be hard to find the trailers as long as they are not in the woods, the trailers were Camouflage

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
i am back were a started two push mower, stihl backpack blower and stihl straightline trimmer:mad:

Hedgemaster
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
A good wake up call for me to start putting the lock back on my (open) trailer. It's not likely to be stolen, but if it were, it would be difficult to get by without it.

I guess that's the drawback to having a "secure" enclosed trailer to keep your things in. A truck with a ball can take it all in one swoop.

Sorry to hear it, my friend.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
ya well must have been two trucks both trailers are gone. and they cut the locks off the trailers to hook up looks like they used a cutting tourch

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
ya well must have been two trucks both trailers are gone. and they cut the locks off the trailers to hook up looks like they used a cutting tourch

And no one saw this? Funny how neighbors are noisy at the wrong times.

I hope you recover everything. The trailers are a no brainier since they cant be registered. I would be worried about the contents inside.

Hedgemaster
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Holy crap. They were seriously interested in your stuff.

There's a special place in hell for filth like that. A thief (ANY type of thief) is one of the lowest forms of life in my book. May they get what's coming to them.

CHEESE2009
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Holy crap, I'm sorry to hear man.

There must me some way... Maybe a local store will have video footage of the area that they can show police?!
Ask around fast because some places record over previous days footage. The guy must have passed at least one gas station!

-

Also, I was thinking that this theft might of been pretty close for them to have the nerve to take both trailers within the time you were at the doctors?

Keep checking eBay and craigslist.com... Your equipment might pop up online. If it does, book a place and time to meet the guy;

a. Inform the police of the meeting.

or

b.
http://www.thebackpocket.com.au/images/voorhes.jpg

-

OH and, the person who stole it probably has a van or a truck with a hitch!!!!
Chances are it may very well be your competition, they have the real NEED for the equipment.
Go check around their shops and see what you can come up with.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
ya 4 exmark walk behind, 4 stihl backpack blowers, 4 stihl straightline trimmers, 8 stihl chain saws, two sets of climbing gear, all my climbing ropes, bull ropes, and limb ropes, police are going to local college down the street which is next to a major highway that come in between missouri and illinois

JeffK26
05-08-2012, 02:00 PM
ya 4 exmark walk behind, 4 stihl backpack blowers, 4 stihl straightline trimmers, 8 stihl chain saws, two sets of climbing gear, all my climbing ropes, bull ropes, and limb ropes, police are going to local college down the street which is next to a major highway that come in between missouri and illinois

Thanks for the list, I'm south of St Louis and a Vet as well...I'll keep an eye out for the stuff as I'm looking on CL for spare equipment and such. What sizes are the Exmarks? Are there any distinguishing damage marks or scratches on any of the equipment? I can keep an eye out while I'm out on my routes as well.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
exmark 36 inch walk behind and they all are camouflage they are 09 models

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 02:30 PM
i just cant figure out why someone would steal two trailers full of lawn equipment. i use it to make money for my family and to give veterans jobs so they dont go hungry and lose their homes. dumb a** have me so mad right now

JeffK26
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
OH OH OH! I just had a great idea....

Call FOX2 News or Channel 4. They do these types of stories....

I've seen plenty of stories on FOX2 where a Vet gets his car broke into while on leave and medals are stolen, clothes, a flag or something....They interview the Vet, he/she tells their story and then you have a whole viewing area looking for your stuff. Quite a few of them have had follow ups where the stuff was returned to them, & one a pawn shop took the stuff and turned it over....

On a lighter note it's free advertising as well as more eyes looking for your stuff, and harder for the thieves to sell the stuff.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 02:42 PM
i think i will do that and put a damper on their little parade

CHEESE2009
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
We should all print out some stickers that say our equipment is monitored by gps.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 03:01 PM
police asked me if i had lojack on my stuff

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 03:07 PM
i know someone that can do stickers ill make a phone call and see how much it will cost

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
so all the sticks should say

OUR EQUIPMENT IS MONITORED BY GPS

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
That's awful. The problem is it's so identifiable they ptobably painted it. Check vacant areas they may have dumped the trailers after they took out your stuff. Notify area service locations in case they try to sell it to then or trade it in. Make some flyers and give them to otger landscapers. Just a few ideas. Dorry it happened to you. I hope you get it all or most back quick. The news ia a Really good idea!!!

Steve
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I am so sorry about this!

Can you post this in craigslist too to warn others about the theft and help them look for your equipment?

Maybe include pictures of the trailers?

hawthornelawncare
05-08-2012, 06:07 PM
:mad::(:confused:
so i went to the doctor today and came home and both enclosed trailers are gone. can you say wtf i am pissed. and none of my neighbors seen anything. filed a police report and waiting for insurance company to call me back

Holly crap man no way.. Lawn Equipment theft is up 100% all around everywhere. Its like you have to have a fort knox to keep your crap from being stolen. Even if you put locks on everything they still can get anything. Hell all they got to do is pull up to your trailer and wrap a rope around the tounge good enough and they dont need to take a lock off. Sorry your stuff was stolen man. If they catch the people i hope they get hit hard. Press charges to the fullest and sue for even more

The Cleaning Doctor
05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Try this type of lock that goes inside the hitch were the ball normally would.

http://www.toolup.com/masterlock_379atpy_trailer-coupler-lock.aspx?gclid=CNi69-Po8a8CFQ1jhwodJ3BhXQ

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I have metal ones like that and they cut them off

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
I also use the master style. I always park a vehicle in front of it tho.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 08:13 PM
My buddy is printing me up some bumper stickers I am going to stick everything

JesseN
05-08-2012, 08:22 PM
That is unfortunate, I can't imagine going through that.

I hope the insurance company helps out. I know the probability of reclaiming equipment is generally very slim, especially if they steal that quantity and used torches. They probably knew what they were doing.

Karma will get them back someday regardless.

I would push the local news agencies more than anything.

yourscape
05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
My buddy is printing me up some bumper stickers I am going to stick everything

Are you planing on getting a bunch of them. You should sell them on eBay.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
I bought 10 FOR 20 bucks

Hedgemaster
05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I think the "news" idea is a very good one.

I know that if I saw that story, I'd be inclined to help in some way.

You'll be seeing some very cheap, off-colored equipment on craigslist very soon, I'm sure.

jymie
05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
A surveillance camera might be in order for where you park your trailers.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=surveillance+camera&oq=surveillance+camera&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=products-cc.12...0.0.0.12555.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0.

Shark1611
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Wow I am so very sorry to hear this. I sure hope you find your stuff and hang the people who got it!!

veteranslawncaresystems
05-09-2012, 11:12 AM
well they found my stuff at 230 this morning. Torched. someone cut lowballer in the wall of trailer

usmc3391
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Thats horrible sorry man...was anything recoverable?

veteranslawncaresystems
05-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Nope nothing found it in east st Louis

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Omg they just torched both trailers with equipment? What a waste sounfs like a competitor ....

krzys666
05-09-2012, 04:44 PM
i am going o sound like an *** but you do not need a title for trailers to register them. go to http://www.mbi-trailers.com/ as long as you say your trailer is 92 or older you do not need anything except a bill of sale (they provide you with one, fill it out yourself) you do not need the bill of sale notarized. or you can claim it as homemade. anything 92 or newer needs some kind of proof of empty weight.
it is 90 for 5 years registered in maine. once you have it registered you can move the registration over to whatever state you are in. they also do not check vin numbers.

myblacktruck
05-10-2012, 07:19 PM
That sucks so bad I'm sorry to hear about it. I hope they find the people responsible and hang them

bruces
05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
I would be asking my customers if anybody has been approaching them after the stuff got stolen ,lowballer is often used in this business by other lco's ,not so much from random theives and hoodlums .

Hedgemaster
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
I would be asking my customers if anybody has been approaching them after the stuff got stolen ,lowballer is often used in this business by other lco's ,not so much from random theives and hoodlums .

Exactly. This was someone you "took" work from either by working in "their" area, or by taking on a client that used to be theirs.

Time to get cracking on that news story. There isn't a local station in this country that wouldn't run that one. Especially with the way it "ended".

sweetcutgrass
05-10-2012, 10:27 PM
some people .

veteranslawncaresystems
05-10-2012, 10:30 PM
News has been informed they took the story yesterday

JeffK26
05-10-2012, 11:17 PM
News has been informed they took the story yesterday

Great! Can't wait to see it.

For the others on the forum that may not know Veteranslawncare and I am in the same area. We know the same news, that is why i was so specific in the channels.

Hopefully it does as good as the other Vets that they have shown and got their stuff back.

Put a plug in for Saber!!!! haha j/k...trying to get a laugh out of ya. This has to be hard for ya.

PM me for when the story airs. My wife knows about this cuz I tell her everything.....she'd like to see it. She's searching on her free time as well man.

Hope it turns out good for ya!

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-11-2012, 12:03 AM
What did the police say when they contacted you after everything was torched? Have they any leads? I would contact businesses near you and the location it was found for video leads....

CHEESE2009
05-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Well the good news is, you pissed them off pretty good for them to do that :D

Also, how would they know about your pricing. Perhaps you got a call for an estimate from someone who was in the business? Hmmmmm.

Could be anything, needle in a haystack.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-11-2012, 12:49 AM
the police called me and told me they located my stuff and told me where to go. i went there and seen everything was burned. i about cried. i busted my *** for all that working two jobs busting my butt for 18 to 19 hours a day, plus some of it was money i saved up from when i was deployed to iraq. what im trying to do is have my best friend cut grass using a push mower. im gonna try to find a lawn maintenace job working for someone and plus work my night time job, to make more money so i can get the equipment i need. only thing i can think of is the sod job i did two months ago. guy had 9 bids and all were over 6 grand. i charged him 1500 to do it plus got a dj for my wedding.

JeffK26
05-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Hopefully some good samaritan sees the story.

I missed the torch post you had before this last one. Sorry to hear that man.

Is the news still running the story?

Ya never know, someone may have seen something, and after seeing the story put 2 and 2 together and call.

JeffK26
05-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Are the police going to investigate anything? I think Cheese mentioned it before, but between your place and where the stuff was torched there has to be some kind of store with outside security cameras. Even if they went in a roundabout way, use where your stuff was found as the center and circle out from there.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Are the police going to investigate anything? I think Cheese mentioned it before, but between your place and where the stuff was torched there has to be some kind of store with outside security cameras. Even if they went in a roundabout way, use where your stuff was found as the center and circle out from there.

The problem with that is the stores dont care. I had a backpack blower stolen from the back of my truck at a homedepot. I went in to get a gutter bracket, came back and it was gone. When I asked for parking lot surveillance footage I was giving the run around. Even when police asked HD refused.

Steve
05-12-2012, 10:32 AM
At this point I might be tempted to even start a company called 'low ball lawn care' 'we beat any prices.' Then see who I really get angry at me. I bet that would be the person involved.

veteranslawncaresystems
05-12-2012, 01:56 PM
i could do that but that means more insurance, and another business liscense, which means more money i have to fork out

w0283767
05-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Vet,

You may already know this, but just in case, you can deduct these theft losses on your taxes. Make sure you prepare good records for you costs for these items. Any little bit helps.

Steve
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
For tracking purposes, I wonder if you could get a cheap cell phone that might even be one of those pay per minute ones. Mount it in the trailer some where and always leave it on. Maybe even attached to a battery.

Then in the event the trailer is stolen, could you contact the phone company and find out the location of where the phone is?

Or maybe you could even install an Anti-theft mobile tracking software app onto the phone that could help.

The Cleaning Doctor
05-14-2012, 02:01 PM
You can always tie one of these to the hitch...

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5183&stc=1&d=1337018462

veteranslawncaresystems
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
well they caught the guy that did it. he is claiming he was hired. and that he worked alone. so now its time to take his a** to court, and hang him out to dry

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Wow thats awesome! Did they state what lead to his arrest?

I have an inepensive means about 100 to purchase and 200 a yr. I use zoombak. Its only about two inchs by half an inch. It is wired to the battery that powers the electric jack and is split off that line so it isn't obvious. Said battery is kept charged by a solar panel on the roof of the trailer. It's set with a geo fence around my yard and texts me and the other half then we can also actively track it. Its a small piece of mind there are also cameras covering the yard. Their site is www.zoombak.com

w0283767
05-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I looked at Zoombak's website. It didn't look like they offered all that. How did you get the fence thng set up?

Hedgemaster
05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
well they caught the guy that did it. he is claiming he was hired. and that he worked alone. so now its time to take his a** to court, and hang him out to dry

"Hired?" Time to make the bastage talk.

Did they ban waterboarding?

bruces
05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
something funny here ,how did the guy who worked alone pick up 2 trailers by himself ? It doesnt make any sense that he would come back for a second trailer .

veteranslawncaresystems
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
That's what I said but I was gone for my doctor appt for a hour

usmc3391
05-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Good glad they caught that scumbag i hope you burn him in court. He must have something to do with another landscape company because of what they wrote. ruin them like they tried you when you go to court. This stuff pisses me off i hunt a lot and during hunting season its the same thing a least once a week on that forum...someones hunting equipment got stolen out of the woods. i hate thieves. Just out of curiosity do you have pictures of the trailers we could see? I was wondering what they looked like.

Good luck with everything in the future! keep us posted.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Please keep us posted!!!!!!!!! Karma Is A Mother Fu**er! I hope your insurance money gets you everything back and then some.... and then find out his business info and hit up his ( whoever was involved ) accounts/ customers, and take em for all there worth. And then lay this guy flat and teabag his a** for callin you a low baller, ask him if these balls are low enough! Sorry Steve.

usmc3391
05-14-2012, 11:18 PM
And then lay this guy flat and teabag his a** for callin you a low baller, ask him if these balls are low enough! Sorry Steve.

hahahahah do it

w0283767
05-19-2012, 12:07 AM
I am still working on getting my equipment to start up, but this thread has me worried. Do the general liability policies typically cover this kind of thing or do you have to get some kind of theft protection as well? If so, what is ballpark figure of how much extra the insurance would be to give you piece of mind. I don't anticipate $50k in equipment any time soon. Just talking $5k - 10k in equipment at first.

LawnCareKnox
05-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Maybe they live rather close if they had time to come get one trailer drop it and get another all in a short time... I'd get in car drive around too. Just incase you might want to consider a gps device on your next trailer.... I think Apple makes one that works with iPad and iPhone that is an actual commercial device use to track employees and such... Just a thought. Hope you get stuff back. Later

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-21-2012, 11:20 AM
I am still working on getting my equipment to start up, but this thread has me worried. Do the general liability policies typically cover this kind of thing or do you have to get some kind of theft protection as well? If so, what is ballpark figure of how much extra the insurance would be to give you piece of mind. I don't anticipate $50k in equipment any time soon. Just talking $5k - 10k in equipment at first.

I believe you need inland marine insurance but I'm not sure if thats for traveling between jobs or not.

wandfsmall
05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
I believe you need inland marine insurance but I'm not sure if thats for traveling between jobs or not.

I thought that was for repair shops to keep gas on hand, but no it does not cover equipment off site, I have a rider for that myself.