PDA

View Full Version : Not tooo much to brag about yut but getting there..

usmc3391
05-08-2012, 12:21 AM
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q535/smmckenney/IMG_0431.jpg

Not a lot yet but just started little more than a month ago..have 10 steady clients every week and every 2 weeks ones. Still marketing on craigslist, started a website, handing out flyers, have t-shirts made, and door signs. I was thinking of upgrading a mower next when i get more weeklies. I dont want to do this at the wrong time and i will also need a trailer at that point. Am I at an ok point here as far as equipment or will customers look down upon me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve

Hedgemaster
05-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Most of my clients never see me mow and of those who do, I'd say most wouldn't know the difference between a Murray and an Exmark.

The real reason to get better equipment is better reliability, improved productivity, and better results.

usmc3391
05-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Thats true thats a big factor i was just hesitant to post it on my website since they are only push mowers..didnt want it to turn anyone away.. Im thinking of getting a commercial walk behind next which would mean i need a trailer now too. This would prob be the best course of action.

hawthornelawncare
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q535/smmckenney/IMG_0431.jpg

Not a lot yet but just started little more than a month ago..have 10 steady clients every week and every 2 weeks ones. Still marketing on craigslist, started a website, handing out flyers, have t-shirts made, and door signs. I was thinking of upgrading a mower next when i get more weeklies. I dont want to do this at the wrong time and i will also need a trailer at that point. Am I at an ok point here as far as equipment or will customers look down upon me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve

Hey man set up looks good. When i first started i used a 1994 plymouth sundance and had a push mower and line trimmer and blower to start. So you rolling up with what you got is a step up from what i rolled up in. Some people might have a reserve on you but most others its about quality and how good your service is.. I have a couple clients that i use a push mower on cause they dont want a big mower on there lawn making divits or anything. So dont stress about your equipment right now. If you are happy with what you got going at the moment then stay happy till your ready to buy something bigger and such. And like Hedgemaster said more then likely alot of your clients wont even see you mowing. The ones that do i doubt they are gonna say anything.

I have a friend who does lawns too and he uses nothing but push mowers.

hawthornelawncare
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
oh and i forgot you should post pics of your t shirts and such and website.

Von Bobbeh
05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Sweet rig, Toyota for the win.

Steve
05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
That looks like a fantastic setup! Scale up your equipment as you need it. Don't be too concerned what the consumer thinks of your equipment. They can't tell the difference between mowers. Do a good job and they will be happy.

Hedgemaster
05-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Thats true thats a big factor i was just hesitant to post it on my website since they are only push mowers..didnt want it to turn anyone away.. Im thinking of getting a commercial walk behind next which would mean i need a trailer now too. This would prob be the best course of action.

Constructive criticism:

I'd be more concerned with the lack of grass in that photo if you're talking about using it on your website.

First impressions are important. Unless your clients are all living in the woods and only need you to weed whack the property once in a while, I'd rethink that photo. If I'm looking to have my lawn cut, I wouldn't be inclined to call you - not because of the equipment, but because of the "presentation".

usmc3391
05-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks everyone all great advice. Hawthorne Ill post up some more pics of my shirts up. Yea i used to be all Ford but 24 mpg was hard to pass up. I need to calculate my gas tho when hauling my equipment to see how much it changes. Thanks Steve, as I get more customers ill scale up as needed. Thanks hedgemaster you are absolutely right about the picture. I replaced it with a generic lawn care picture on my website. This week when I cut one of the nicer lawns ill have my equipment out and take a picture with actually some grass haha! Thanks again everyone I defiantly feel much better about my equipment now and gained some confidence in it!