PDA

View Full Version : Hello Gopher

lawncareftf
05-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Hello everyone. I've been on the forum for a while getting advice and help - thank you everyone - so I decided I needed to introduce myself. My name is Carl and I started my lawn care business in San Antonio 1 year ago this month. I got laid off from my previous job and had some friends and family paying someone to mow their lawns so I offered to take care of it for them for some extra cash. This lead to neighbors and referrals and the rest is history. I went back to work full time at the end of last year so I do my lawns in the evenings and on the weekends. Thank you for this site - it has been extremely helpful. I hope that I will be able to give back with help and advice as well. I'm not bad with general business stuff so I can help out if you have questions on invoicing, marketing and other business things as well.

Steve
05-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi Carl,

Welcome to our forum!

Do you find you like one better over the other? Do you like your fulltime job or your business or just both? Is there a future goal with it all where you would like to take it?

Hedgemaster
05-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Welcome.

I have relatives in San Antonio. I haven't been there since I was a kid though. (40's now)

Good luck with your new venture. I started out in much the same manner.
It's a lot of hard work, but I really enjoy it after a 10 year stint as a desk jockey.

lawncareftf
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Hi Carl,

Welcome to our forum!

Do you find you like one better over the other? Do you like your fulltime job or your business or just both? Is there a future goal with it all where you would like to take it?

Thanks Steve. That's a had question for me to answer. On the one hand I love working for myself and having the freedom and flexibility that gives. But it is a little nerve wracking having always had a steady paycheck and going to an unstable pay cycle. On the other hand I have worked in higher education for the past 10 years or so. This is a very rewarding career because I get to help people learn a new career and help them get that career started. Ideally what I would really like to do is get the lawn business to a point where it can sustain me while I teach part time. Funny as it sounds I'm also a photographer so would be nice to have some time to make some money on that as well. I have to keep myself busy :D

Steve
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
But it is a little nerve wracking having always had a steady paycheck and going to an unstable pay cycle.

It's important to save your money as you go so the unstable pay cycle doesn't effect you. As you get more money in the bank, you can deal better with the cycles of the industry.