PDA

View Full Version : just starting out

reghie
05-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi guys im trying to get a lawn service here in Orlando Fl but i have no idea how to get the jobs i want i would like to get some commercial job, foreclosures and vacant lots.anyone have some advice for me

abbot
05-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi guys im trying to get a lawn service here in Orlando Fl but i have no idea how to get the jobs i want i would like to get some commercial job, foreclosures and vacant lots.anyone have some advice for me

Start residential and work your way up. 9/10 you will not land a commercial job right off the bat. Even if you did are you prepared? labor wise? equipment wise?

Starting a business is like building a house, the stronger foundation you lay, the more stable you are when starting to lay the trusses.

Think of a commercial job as your shingles, right now your the guy with a shovel digging a trench. You have to build.

As far as marketing goes, The fellas around here seem to use door hangers. Normally as a consultant I would recommend spending money in different avenues. But hey, it's working for them.

Here's a tip for print ads (such as door hangers) Use a 2-step ad. Give them an incentive to call a number, send an email, give an incentive with a strong call to action and you will see a 200% increase in response. Once they call you have got them to make a commitment. Now you give them something free (the incentive you offered in the print ad). Now they are in a buying position, you have qualified them in, given them some bait, now you have to add value to you, your business, your services, and HOW IT WILL BENEFIT THEM if they choose to hire you.

It's like fishing, you find a prospect, throw em' some chum bait, then send the treble hook and weight in for the snag.

If you think I'm crazy about the 2-step ad then run a split test between every other ad format and the one I just told you about. You may have an accident when you get the results

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-04-2012, 12:17 AM
I agree with Mitch on starting residential, it gives you experience, organizational skills,allows you to get the right equipment for commercial work, besides, commercial accounts will ask for insurance/ referrances right off the bat...and you chase your money most of the time. I don't agree with the door hangers / flyers. They just get tossed as people get irritated with soliciting. It takes hundreds to see only a few results , it costs a good bit of money to design, print them and the man hrs to pass out, most likely a new driver side front tire too! My advice is to make a nice business card and hand it out to everyone, anyone you know, tell them to let people know and let them network for you. Once you get your first few customers takin care of , a job well done at a great price the word will spread. Best of luck.

abbot
05-04-2012, 01:02 AM
My advice is to make a nice business card and hand it out to everyone, anyone you know, tell them to let people know and let them network for you. Once you get your first few customers takin care of , a job well done at a great price the word will spread. Best of luck.

You couldn't be more on point here. When I began my internet consulting business I had a hard time bringing in clients. It was not until the day I decided to let my work speak for me. I sucked at selling, I was new to business in general. But I had one thing going for me...I was good at what I did.

Long story short. It took about 6 months to go from making $250/mo with one client and just me. To just over $8,000/mo with a team of 4 people.

How did It happen? I simply asked for referrals. I not only asked, I offered an incentive for referrals. I'm talking 50%....Soon I began to see that I didn't have to do anything but sit back and collect money. I was setting up accounts from all over the world because other people were networking FOR ME.

This was about 2 years ago. And to this day my team still uses the same technique. In fact, just yesterday I had a guy call me from a software development co. And said "Hey Mitch, (name of current client) just gave an outstanding review on your company, hey I would love to see what you could do with our marketing budget"

I didn't have to say a thing....I just said "Sure thing, when can we meet?"
That phone call was worth just shy of 5k/mo to my company. And guess what...I didn't spend a dime trying to get that account.

Referrals are POWERFUL, and the quicker you figure that out, the more money you will make :p

Steve
05-04-2012, 05:28 PM
If you want some more reading, all of this should keep you busy for a while.

How to get commercial lawn care customers (http://lawnchat.com/category/lawn-care-customers/commercial-customers).

more on

How To Get Commercial Lawn Care And Snow Plow Customers (https://www.createspace.com/3744273).

Shark1611
05-04-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree with all that is said here. I started out two years ago with small homes and now I have more commercial and I do home owners. I now have office depot, a number of dollar generals, a city contract, and six apartments. Also picked up gas stations, and have a number of condos that I do. Church's as well. Need to start out right. Get a tax ID and insure yourself. Do the job right! Be on time and do what you say your gonna do. Read this forum as much as you can and learn. Most are great guys and want you to grow. Good luck!

Steve
05-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Don't try to B.S. the old men....Thay will eat you alive I know!

Early on, did you run into any situations like this were you felt you were b.s.ing them and they caught on?