PDA

View Full Version : Knockin on doors

Steve
09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I was just reading an article about a company that buys houses in the process of being foreclosed on. One of the things they do to find these houses to buy is they go out and knock on doors and talk to the home owners.
The article said how the owners felt it was important to have an open line of communication with the home owner in order to make the process work for everyone.
As they grew, they hired a staff to go out and knock on doors and talk to people. These sales people get a bonus if they are able to get the house purchased and then resold.
What has been your experience with knocking on doors? Has it ben the best way to meet new customers?

Little's
09-13-2007, 02:00 AM
As I have mentioned here in the forum several times, knocking on doors has worked extremely well for me. I started my business that way, and currently work full time, and never paid a dime for any kind of advertising, except business card costs. I dont think it works the same for everyone. I think the most important thing is for the potential customer to feel comfortable with you when they first meet you. We've all had that person that knocks on the door that scared you, well, try not to be that person. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif

tiedeman
09-14-2007, 11:55 AM
The first few years when I started out I knocked on doors, I probably landed around 20% of the customers that I knocked on. Not bad turn around. Anymore though I just don't have the time to do it

Clean Lawn
09-15-2007, 10:09 PM
I haven't really done a lot of knocking on doors. I have considered doing it in different ways but nothing etched in stone yet. I have heard many people like the two gentlemen before me stating that was how they started out.
I started differently thes past 3 months for myself. I started with some fliers my business partner put one doors (probably 200-300 of them, maybe more). This didn't do much. Maybe landed a call or two at the most. Then someone turned me on to craigslist and I started posting there. Everyone with the exception of two people that have contacted me have come from craigslist. One people came from a local persons webpage call www.jobsitejoe.com and this webpage was a great idea for this area. Its hasn't completely taken off but the idea was great! Then 2 recently from www.boxforyou.com which is another free advertising webpage. I figure anything that is free and similar for posting cannot hurt so I throw an ad in it.
For the spring I am considering putting an ad at a local restaurant that costs $150 a year to advertise, maybe try fliers again but I am also considering creating a survey to find out what people in different areas want and marketing based on that.

Steve
09-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Those are some good ideas! Thank you for sharing them.

The question I have for everyone is, how will you meet more people this fall/winter and into next spring.

Do you feel building a business is like running for political office, the more hands you shake the better your chances are at winning?

Do you feel more people would buy from you, if they knew who you were?

Is that important?