PDA

View Full Version : Charge backs

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I just wanted to say to everybody keep contracts, authorization of work, emails, text and pictures.

I just had a customer do a charge back based on unauthorized use of his credit card. Now this is a guy that moved out of state and was renting out his house. I did not have a signed work order.

What I did have was emails of the job description, estimate, when work would be performed and acceptance. I had phone records of him calling me and me calling him back.

As of now the credit card company took his $600 back but Ill have it back real soon. I would love to see how he proves his email and phone was stolen along with his card. Or better yet why would someone steal all your info and then order work to be done at your house?

What some people will do save a buck.

CHEESE2009
05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I never delete my email because of this fear.

I had one Paki kid agree for me to do a large spring cleanup, he said the amount was fair.

I go to do the job, and he wont answer the door when I ring the bell. I saw someone watching me through a window the entire time.

Anyway, I call later saying I want my money and he says, "I never asked you to do a Spring cleanup, I have no idea what you are talking about". As if I'm a damn idiot.

People like this need to be hauled out of their houses and curb stomped.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I never delete my email because of this fear.

I had one Paki kid agree for me to do a large spring cleanup, he said the amount was fair.

I go to do the job, and he wont answer the door when I ring the bell. I saw someone watching me through a window the entire time.

Anyway, I call later saying I want my money and he says, "I never asked you to do a Spring cleanup, I have no idea what you are talking about". As if I'm a damn idiot.

People like this need to be hauled out of their houses and curb stomped.

Sounds about right. I do the same thing, I have emails from last year. This job was from 3/17 and hes just now trying this ****.

Steve
05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
When you have a charge back like that, how do these records help? Can you email the credit card company these files and do they go through it to determine what the situation is or how does all this work?

Anyway, I call later saying I want my money and he says, "I never asked you to do a Spring cleanup, I have no idea what you are talking about".

How did this get resolved?

CHEESE2009
05-02-2012, 10:36 AM
When you have a charge back like that, how do these records help? Can you email the credit card company these files and do they go through it to determine what the situation is or how does all this work?

I shouted at him, told him to never call me again.

He called for snow clearing during the winter, haha, I told him to f'off.

Felt better then getting paid.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-02-2012, 10:37 AM

You pretty much have to prove that the goods or services were requested. This transaction went through paypal and paypal froze my account, took the balance left over and gave it to the credit card company. Normally you would deal with the credit card company but paypal is the middle man in this.

I sent them pictures of emails, phone records, as proof of agreement.

The customer is acting like someone fraudelenty used his credit card but hes the one committing fraud.

I guess they can hold my money for 75 days. I might file in small claims against the homeowner, paypal and credit card company before that.

Steve
05-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I might file in small claims against the homeowner, paypal and credit card company before that.

Have you looked into that? I wonder how that would work and if it would be possible while all that is going on.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-03-2012, 04:28 PM
This is bull**** man! Sorry to hear. Having to deal with all that stress over the phone etc only because you did an honest days work for the guy! Id be payin his yard a visit with the old 4x4 then tell him somebody stole your truck that night!! but i think you said he moved...Hes worth finding! Ill help

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-03-2012, 05:36 PM
This is bull**** man! Sorry to hear. Having to deal with all that stress over the phone etc only because you did an honest days work for the guy! Id be payin his yard a visit with the old 4x4 then tell him somebody stole your truck that night!! but i think you said he moved...Hes worth finding! Ill help

He still has two properties around here. http://elouai.com/images/yahoo/a16.gif He mightve sold his house but the rental is just waiting for revenge.

Not sure Steve... I looked into how paypal handles this and basically they wont fight for you. Theyll concede the chargeback and do a bull**** investigation that you end up losing.

Steve
05-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Keep us posted on the outcome of this because I am sure others will potentially have to deal with this in the future.

OziGardenGuy
05-05-2012, 07:08 AM
In God We Trust. All else pay cash.

Or at least verified bank transfers before executing the work.

If they won't pre-pay, and the price is fair, and they are not yet trusted long-term or regular clients... well... they do not deserve credit.

As always, no verbal agreements, all written documentation all the way from the request for quotation to acceptance of the project. Clean and clear and no one gets upset. ;)

Cheers - OziGardenGuy.

NB - There are subtle differences between USA and AU banking systems. Check your local rules for risks.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Well the 75 days have passed and I havent heard anything from paypal. I called them and they acted like they disputed in on may 16th and its up to the credit card company. This is what they told me 3 months ago.

Looks like I'm heading to small claims court.

I would not use paypal for credit card transactions. I read that they wont do anything for you and they wont reveal the credit card company so you cant dispute the chargeback yourself. Any other merchant service or bank would fight for you. Especially when you have a writing contract, emails, phone calls, and pictures to verify the work was requested and done. Without knowing the credit card company you cant force payment if you win in small claims.

wat5150
08-01-2012, 04:39 PM
In my opinion paypal sucks. I had an issue with the early last fall. I sold a guitar on ebay as is and sent the guy that bought it a ton of pictures. He disputed the sale saying I didnt disclose all info about guitar. Anyway both ebay and paypal sided with me in the dispute. The thing is the guy cried to his credit card company and they sided with him. Credit card company charged paypal now paypal is charging me for something they already sided with me on. It sucks. I cant stand paypal. They have a lock on most internet transactions and that sucks too.