PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist score!!

mark123
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
http://images.imaginekitty.com/JungleWheels.jpg

I blew out the wheel bearings on my homemade sulky and after one day of walking the whole day I had to get something to replace the old sulky. Jungle Wheels! Woot! With my weight behind the wheels now the front end of the mower doesn't pop up when I accelerate. Good stuff for $160.

Steve
05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
That looks great! I bet it's a lot better to use and ride on than the single wheeled velke.

http://www.wrightmfg.com/uploads/images/VELKE_SULKY-DETAIL11.jpg

ldaggerl
05-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Very nice, looks like it might lend a bit of help to striping. Looks like the back drags enough to push the grass over.

mark123
05-05-2012, 08:09 AM
The right/left pivot point is in the wrong place on this unit. It is so far back from the turning point (over the back wheels) that a very small turn makes it wiggle like crazy. It'll throw you off if you're not careful. Unfortunately, this wiggle will also pull the mower off course making jittery stripes instead of nice straight lines.

JeffK26
05-05-2012, 09:28 AM
The right/left pivot point is in the wrong place on this unit. It is so far back from the turning point (over the back wheels) that a very small turn makes it wiggle like crazy. It'll throw you off if you're not careful. Unfortunately, this wiggle will also pull the mower off course making jittery stripes instead of nice straight lines.

http://images.craigslist.org/5Nb5Ia5J13E53G93lac4u16286ffe2e0211fd.jpg

Hey Mark, what's your take on this one? $150 on CL. May be difficult by pic only, but if ya can tell if the pivot point may be the same as yours I would appreciate it. Or is this something you can only really tell after the fact?

mark123
05-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I can't tell from the picture. If it pivots right/left near where it attaches to the mower then it is better than the Jungle Wheels. Jungle wheels only pivot up/down near the attachment point and right/left near your toes. I'm getting used to them but they are taxing on the legs. It's still better than walking on the big lawns though.

mark123
05-05-2012, 06:30 PM
I should say that I'm not totally down on the Jungle Wheels. They solve the big issue of a sulky that causes the front of the mower to jump up and down. It uses the up/down pivot and sulky wheels as a fulcrum to lift the back of the mower forcing the front down. The front wheels will stick to the ground, but it redirects all the bouncing from the front wheels directly to your ankles.

JeffK26
05-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the time and explanation. I have never really studied or noticed the left/right, up/down pivot thing, I just got on and rode it.

The one I have now is a homemade one from my ex boss, but the joints are shot ( won't take grease ) I have to do too many mods to make the wheels fit properly and they are hell on the knees.

I love the idea of the sulky, it cuts down on time, it seems stopping and turning is better with the "sulky" type stand on.

On my nicer average size lawns I tend to ride the "sulky" as fast as I can walk, but the time saved on the larger lawns is great, but as I said, I feel it in my knees on those larger lawns that I can go full speed without quality diminishing.

I may call this guy and get it and experiment with different hookups to get the left/right, up/down pivots right.

again, thanks!