PDA

View Full Version : 2 stoke vs marine 2 stroke

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-29-2012, 02:52 PM
So I ran out of 2 stroke oil on a job. I went to the closest store to get some and had a argument with one of my guys. Hes telling me theres no difference in marine 2 stroke oil and regular 2 stroke oil.

Me: Water cooled engines runs cooler then air cooled. Theres more ash in air 2 stroke oil to compensate for this. I always ran air cooled and never had a problem.

Him: Its all the same. I use it in my chainsaw. It says on the label you can use it in all air cooled engines too. Its cheaper for this big bottle.

picframer
04-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Is it 2 stroke injector oil or mixing oil? If mixing oil, it's the same and I have used it in the past a lot as the marine stores are close to my home, I now however buy Stihl mixing oil by the case due to warranty.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-29-2012, 05:36 PM
yeah its 2 stroke mixing oil. It was citgo brand.

wandfsmall
04-29-2012, 09:12 PM
So I ran out of 2 stroke oil on a job. I went to the closest store to get some and had a argument with one of my guys. Hes telling me theres no difference in marine 2 stroke oil and regular 2 stroke oil.

Me: Water cooled engines runs cooler then air cooled. Theres more ash in air 2 stroke oil to compensate for this. I always ran air cooled and never had a problem.

Him: Its all the same. I use it in my chainsaw. It says on the label you can use it in all air cooled engines too. Its cheaper for this big bottle.

YES water cooled engines do not require the same oil as an air cooled engine, the water cools the engine for boat motors your trimmer does not have that same cooling system. Honestly you would be better off using a small engine oil in your mower for the same reason, but that is hard to explain to most customers so your mechanics that even know the deference do not normally even try.