PDA

View Full Version : Chemicals chemicals chemicals

wihoyt
04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Where/how do I learn to chemical application. I know I have to take the test to get an applicator permit throught the dept of agriculture here in IL but really where do I learn what to apply when and how much?

kdexpd
04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
This all depends on what you're looking into applying. In my area, you aren't required to have a license if you aren't applying commercial chemicals. So anything you can purchase without a license, you can apply. I get all my chemicals (fertilizers, weed control, etc.) from Home Depot and farm supply stores. I can make my clients lawns look just as good for half the price as some of the other commercial applicator businesses. I have had people argue with me over the requirement for "applicator licenses" but I have spoken to the local USDA offices and the Extension office on several occasions and have been assured by both.

stevef1201
04-30-2012, 05:59 AM
Here in Florida I do believe that the State EPA controls the application of chemicals, Not agriculture, You may want to check somemore before being so sure

wihoyt
04-30-2012, 08:30 AM
I already am aware of what is required of me for license what I'd like to know is where do I learn how to tell what the soil needs rather than just going and adding fert and spraying with 2, 4d? I was talking with a friend who is a agriculture crop adviser and he was telling me that by testing the soil first you can tell what its truely lacking and add what really needed. He said sometimes its just a difference in PH and the soil needs Lime added. He said by getting the soil to the Proper PH allows the Fertilizer to be more effective. So my question is what classes can I take to learn how to do this the best?

Steve
05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
So my question is what classes can I take to learn how to do this the best?

You could just read up on it. There is a lot of information online and in books about soil testing. Once you start walking down that path, I am sure you are going to learn a lot!

Do some more online investigation on the topic and keep us posted how it helps.

wihoyt
05-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Here it is the Dept of agriculture I have spoke with them many times and have ordered the info guides from them for the test.

Steve
05-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Oh good! Keep us posted on how all that goes.