PDA

View Full Version : Starting Up in Southwest TN

GOBR
04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Hello all!

Im currently working on starting up in the Memphis, TN area. I started advertising fliers and craigslist ads during mid March. Yes, I was getting phone calls for a while but now it got cool again and nobody is calling. My customers grass isnt growing either. Should I be worried about this? Will it pick back up?

I currently offer basic cut jobs (mow, weedeat, edge, sweep), leaf cleanup, flowerbed cleanup, debris removal, hedge trimming and gutter cleaning. Pretty basic huh?

Ive been slacking on my fliers while Im out tho. I have truck signs but they are from 3 years ago. Lookin kinda old!

All I have now is a push mower, curve shaft, and a broom. About 3 years ago i had 2 push mowers, 2 straight shaft commercial Echos, and a backpack blower. EVERYTHING WAS STOLEN!!! I worked at a car shop for a couple years (thats my main profession) but its hard to work for somebody else. I have a felony so ANYBODY I work for wants to treat me like trash.

I found this forum 3 years ago and until now Ive been soakin up info from here. I know advertising is the best way.

I also run scrap. Anybody else do this? Its kinda like a add on but not really. My truck sign also advertises 'Junk Removal".

Thanks guys....

CS-LawnService
04-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Hello all!

I also run scrap. Anybody else do this? Its kinda like a add on but not really. My truck sign also advertises 'Junk Removal".

Thanks guys....

Yes I run scrap metal too pick up odds and ends here and there and pile it in back corner of the field till I have a ton or so and it all adds up .

Scrap yards paying $10.00 per hundred here .

lawnman3fl
04-27-2012, 06:07 AM
it takes time and sometimes thats a pain but as it gets warmer i think you will do good .. like most of us yard guys say here in florida give it a minute and it will grow...

lawnman3 fl...:cool::cool::cool:

lawnman3fl
04-27-2012, 06:11 AM
just like the scrap in buisness it picks up as people start to make money and notice things are quite a mess around the yard and just love to sweat like us yard guys..lol..not so much...:cool::cool::cool:

Steve
04-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I started advertising fliers and craigslist ads during mid March. Yes, I was getting phone calls for a while but now it got cool again and nobody is calling.

Have you scaled back on your craigslist ads too? Are you asking your current customer base for referrals? Are you handing out flyers to the neighbors of your current customers?

GOBR
04-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I post on CL 2-3 times a day. Gave up on the fliers cause they dont seem to work.

Steve
04-30-2012, 07:53 AM
What are you doing to get referrals? Do you ask your current customer base for referrals? Do you market to the homes surrounding your current customers' homes?

GOBR
05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Other than telling my customers "hey if you know anybody else feel free to pass my number on" I dont really mention it much.

If I see a yard that looks like it hasnt been cut in a while Ill knock on the door and if no answer Ill leave a quote on one of my fliers and put it on the door.

Steve
05-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Other than telling my customers "hey if you know anybody else feel free to pass my number on" I dont really mention it much.

That is good! Keep at it and you will find your customer list grow!

GOBR
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
I sure hope so. Ive got 80 cents to my name right now.......... Glad Ive got people who will help me or Id be livin in the truck right now.

JesseN
05-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I've found websites to be your best bet for marketing. It's usually best to build one yourself and have someone optimize it.