PDA

View Full Version : getting ready for Hydroseeding

lawnsofutah
04-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I had a call the other day...the client is looking for some help to get ready for hydroseeding. The yard has some weeds, not a ton. The dirt is very very silty and rocky. I am thinking it needs to be turned over/tilled, get the larger rocks removed and then till in some top soil.

The lot is a little over 1/3 of an acre. Sprinklers are already in the ground.

Hyrdoseeding guy told client to spray weedkiller on the existing weeds...I am unsure of this...could there be residual weed killer that could keep the grass from growing??

I do not doubt that I can do this...I just need some help on how to get rid of weeds, remove rocks, and get top soil into the ground. What equipment, etc.

All help is welcomed.

Thanks to all

wihoyt
04-25-2012, 10:09 PM
weed killer only works on plants weeds and such by contact on the leaves not by root up take.

Steve
04-26-2012, 08:31 PM
remove rocks, and get top soil into the ground. What equipment, etc.

Would it be worthwhile renting a box blade or maybe a tractor with a box blade?

Check this video out. It gives a good visualization of the tool.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LxuEDGSGOZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let me know if that looks like it would do the job.

As far as the top soil goes, I wouldn't mix in the topsoil but instead add a 2 to 3 inch layer of topsoil and then roll it.

Cashin H&P
04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Would it be worthwhile renting a box blade or maybe a tractor with a box blade?

Check this video out. It gives a good visualization of the tool.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LxuEDGSGOZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let me know if that looks like it would do the job.

A york rake would work better. I core airate the lawn and then spread a 50/50 loam compost mix down after you kill the weeds with a weed killer. then use the tractors bucket to rough spread the 50/50 and then the york rake to do the final work. Just how I have done it in the past.