PDA

View Full Version : Started at 14, serious at 19.

Von Bobbeh
04-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi! started the mowing biz at 14 and did pretty good for a kid, I made $20 hourly sometimes... other's $7 hourly :p
I ended up ditching all my customers at 17 because high school kept me busy and depressed and my dad was being an *** about driving me to lawns. Skip 2 years, graduated, partied too much and frustration with job applications and I'm back into the lawn game!

So far I have 12 accounts, the smallest being 1500sq ft and largest being 20,000 sq ft (I make $18-ish hourly on that one, pretty much charity)
I print glossy full color flyers at $.35 a pop and a 2 customers per 100, in giant neighborhoods with small lawns.
With my name starting to get out in the local areas I'm excited to canvass more neighbors hoods and see the profit come in as the season goes on, as well as beginning to provide fertilizing and weed removal so i can mow all those emerald green lawns and make the neighbors jealous! =D

Steve
04-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Welcome to our forum!

How have you found it to restart your lawn care business after you had previously ran one?

What was different about the experience? Was it easier or harder?

CHEESE2009
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Great too hear Bobby!

My only concern is the photo of yourself. It looks like a prom picture, or a real estate agent.

Change it to you holding a trimmer or something lol.

Good luck man!

Von Bobbeh
04-25-2012, 01:34 AM
I may actually do that, as I spend a good deal of my time on lawns with the good ol trimmer.
I've found it much much easier now steve, using real invoices, my own vehicle, and time to think things out beforehand or at least most things.
Also not killing myself on large properties for little pay has been a joy.
It was also a little awkward when I was that young, I always strove for perfection but some people thought it could be hazardous for a minor to mow lawns as if it were dangerous:confused:

Steve
04-25-2012, 05:04 PM
What advice do you have now for teens looking to get started? Do you have a top 5 dos or donts?

wihoyt
04-26-2012, 07:58 AM
I would change the wording in the brown box. It isnt worded correctly and doesnt really say anything. Best of luck Im just starting too.

Cashin H&P
04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Im doing the same thing. How do you like being you own boss?

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
04-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Great too hear Bobby!

My only concern is the photo of yourself. It looks like a prom picture, or a real estate agent.

Change it to you holding a trimmer or something lol.

Good luck man!

x 2012!!!! Not so I just got hight school last week!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
No Offense!!!!!!

When I was in HS I was cuttin grass but i would talk to steve or any of the seasoned lco's they wont steer you wrong for ya area BUT then again alot had been a rookie mistake for ME!!!!

All will be come and see for you!!!!!

Steve
04-30-2012, 08:36 AM
BUT then again alot had been a rookie mistake for ME

What do you feel were the top 5 mistakes you made that others should look out for and try to avoid?