PDA

View Full Version : Any one else utilize google earth?

Von Bobbeh
04-24-2012, 01:54 PM
When I get a call from a customer from one of the hundreds of flyers I canvass in colossal suburban neighborhoods, I always ask for their name and address and promptly get to my computer or tell them I'll call them back with an estimate, I toss the address into earth use the ruler to measure the yard, check elevation for hills and I can give them "A estimate barring any other extenuating circumstance (long grass yadda yadda).

Most of my accounts have found it to be pretty nifty to get a nearly instant idea what they'll be paying and I usually can get them to agree to a 14 day schedule right on the phone. And I know what I'm mowing and what day I am mowing before I even get there.

CHEESE2009
04-24-2012, 02:44 PM
2 problems

When you actually see the property
You: So it will come out to $xxxx.
Client: But you said it would be approximately $xx! :mad:

Regardless if it was an estimate, it'll annoy the client and cause them to become defensive and picky. Don't give them false hope.

Google Earth does not provide a lot of detail of the property. There are some homes with trees, and an aerial shot becomes useless (backyards). Hills and whatever are also very difficult to see.

BENEFIT
If you go into street view using Google Maps, you can locate the house address and get an idea of what the front of the property will look like, more information is better than none. Still, I wouldn't rely on a photo when it comes to pricing work. A lot could happen in 3 years (and most of the imagery from Google Earth has not been updated since.

What I do
I use Google Maps to view the front of the property to get an idea of who I may be dealing with, then I try to drive by when nobody is home, get a look at the back yard - just in case I don't want to do business with them I wouldn't be stuck wasting my time. :D

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Also, google earth is out dated( they've started to update in my area as I've seen the camera car rollin around ) I used google earth one time, arrived at the property to find a new swimming pool, fence and all kinds of squirrely landscape beds....a little off from what I seen on google!

Von Bobbeh
04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
okay, well it works for me cause I see every house a couple days before they call- when I tape my flyer to their door! lol.

Steve
04-24-2012, 06:52 PM
How does that effect your sales presentation though? If you can't meet the potential customer in person? Do you find you are limited to what you can do and ultimately only can sell on price?

Have you kept track of the amount of sales you made just over the phone, vs in person?

It would be fascinating to see which one performed better.

wihoyt
04-25-2012, 11:27 AM
I tried that as well and Im just starting out. So far I havnt landed a single deal that I used google earth on. I also havnt shown up and sold them on how great I am that they need me. Seems the customers I have were sold before they even called. All my clients have come from craigslist ads. I havnt gotten a single client from fliers or door hangers.

Von Bobbeh
04-25-2012, 01:39 PM
I've had a couple accounts that I acquired person to person while mowing or canvassing and it is a bit easier to "sell" to them.

However almost every call I've gotten they are very eager to hear the bid and when service will start, so I haven't had to really sell anything on the phone.

In my case I'm more-or-less introverted so a little less customer interaction doesn't bother me, mow it, bill it, leave it. my work has been speaking for itself.