PDA

View Full Version : Need Idea's To Keep my Equipment Busy

polarisrider4life
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Hello everyone. I have a diesel pick-up and a CAM 7x12 dump trailer. I mainly focus on hauling of materials for delivery such as mulch, topsoil, stone, firewood, etc and with spring sales/deliveries slower going because im not very established because this is only my 2nd year, I am looking for ways to make money and keep my equipment working when calls for deliveries are not rolling in. Any idea's of alternate materials to haul, things to do with the equipment to make money would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Hello everyone. I have a diesel pick-up and a CAM 7x12 dump trailer. I mainly focus on hauling of materials for delivery such as mulch, topsoil, stone, firewood, etc and with spring sales/deliveries slower going because im not very established because this is only my 2nd year, I am looking for ways to make money and keep my equipment working when calls for deliveries are not rolling in. Any idea's of alternate materials to haul, things to do with the equipment to make money would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You
Talk to local landscapers. If your cheaper then the mulch yards. Theyll have you deliver for them.

polarisrider4life
04-24-2012, 12:08 PM
i used to know of a guy that used to do exactly that. This year however i have not seen him flying around town ANYWHERE NEAR how much he has in past years (i see a lot of people with all the driving i do). I think the reason is because a farmer down the road from me bought a rotochopper mulch/chip processor and is selling for $25 a yard wholesale black brown or red so any landscaper with a trailer can get it themselves. :confused:

Steve
04-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Do you feel you can make better money delivering materials or selling your time performing lawn care / landscaping services?

polarisrider4life
04-25-2012, 10:03 AM
My modo has always been "turn and burn". I feel I do better on deliveries so I always opted to just do another delivery for the day instead of install product, etc etc. with the start of this season being a little slower though I believe I would be pretty oped minded to new ideas. Maybe I should start installing product if I have a slow schedule that day. It's not as good as flipping another delivery but it's still work!

Steve
04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
I feel I do better on deliveries so I always opted to just do another delivery for the day instead of install product, etc etc.

Have you calculated how much profit you make per hour delivering items versus mowing or performing landscaping?

It's fascinating to look at because you never know for sure which bring you in a better profit until you study your financial numbers.

wihoyt
04-25-2012, 07:28 PM
I think your only advertising yourself to small landscapers and missing a much larger market. I would look toward roofers,Concrete removal, ect. When we did tearouts of driveways and such it was a huge pain to have to bring our dump truck and have someone take it to a pit to get rid of it. Id rather you just pull up in your trailer and we load it with our skid steer and say goodbye and I get back to work. One down side I see is your trailer is too small but if you could leave it on a roofing job for a day they could use it on roofing jobs that they cant get a dumpster on or dont want to ruin the grass with a dumpster.

polarisrider4life
04-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Steve, I will have to take some time and look at some record keeping to see. I do pretty good on deliveries when I have them to actually do. If I have calls that only fill half a day I might just take jobs installing. As long as there is decent profit that works for me! Wihoyt, what would you pay per load of asphalt hauled away if you were in such a situation. Just to give an idea?

wihoyt
04-28-2012, 01:10 PM
What we would pay would totally depend on many factors. Really its uncharted waters that could be a nitch all in itself. Something you would have to figure out the logistics of like where you can dump it and what they charge you. We would take ours to a rock quarry. Some concete suppliers will take tear out and they crush it and sell it as base fill. You may want to feel out the smaller companies in your area. Most have a skid steer to tear out but no dump truck. Feel them out and see what you can do! I think its a great idea for someone with a dump trailer.

willshome
04-28-2012, 07:42 PM
What about putting a leaf box and leaf loader on your trailer. Do curb side pickup

Steve
04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Maybe you could advertise in craigslist that you can help move peoples stuff locally? Move appliances?

I would figure homeowners would need things moved from time to time.

polarisrider4life
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
All good ideas. I will act on some of them and see what happens. Thank you to everyone who replied.