PDA

View Full Version : Want to start cutting lawns around town

mramsa82
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Im 15 yrs old and i want to get some clients for the mowing season. I have been cutting other residents lawns around my neighbor hood for the past three years but its only a few houses and i don't make much money. I was wondering if making flyers is really an effective way to get new jobs? i want to call my "company" "Clean-Cut Lawncare". i was thinking about getting shirts made and business cards? i don't have much equipment right now except for a few 21 inch mowers, nice trimmers and stuff. the biggest problem for me is i cannot drive yet so i would be depending on my dad to drive me to jobs( which he has done in the past). i just joined the forum to see if i could learn something new and get some advice from professionals. If anyone could offer me any advice that would be great!!

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Im 15 yrs old and i want to get some clients for the mowing season. I have been cutting other residents lawns around my neighbor hood for the past three years but its only a few houses and i don't make much money. I was wondering if making flyers is really an effective way to get new jobs? i want to call my "company" "Clean-Cut Lawncare". i was thinking about getting shirts made and business cards? i don't have much equipment right now except for a few 21 inch mowers, nice trimmers and stuff. the biggest problem for me is i cannot drive yet so i would be depending on my dad to drive me to jobs( which he has done in the past). i just joined the forum to see if i could learn something new and get some advice from professionals. If anyone could offer me any advice that would be great!!

Don't waste your money on flyers , they just get glanced at and tossed, they aren't really effective and it takes hundreds to see only a few results. My advice is to tell your current customers to "spread the word" that your a solid young worker and are looking for more work! Take that money you were going to spend on fliers, shirts and invest it back into your equipment / more equipment.. I would only suggest to make business cards , you can go online at vistaprint.com or staples.com officedepot.com , they offer quick designing with nice layouts and many fonts. It's $30.00 or so for 250. Just keep doing good work and your customers will come. Good luck buddy.

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Don't waste your money on flyers , they just get glanced at and tossed, they aren't really effective and it takes hundreds to see only a few results. My advice is to tell your current customers to "spread the word" that your a solid young worker and are looking for more work! Take that money you were going to spend on fliers, shirts and invest it back into your equipment / more equipment.. I would only suggest to make business cards , you can go online at vistaprint.com or staples.com officedepot.com , they offer quick designing with nice layouts and many fonts. It's $30.00 or so for 250. Just keep doing good work and your customers will come. Good luck buddy.

I agree with Apex, I tried the flier thing, distributed almost 2,000 flyers and the only response that i recieved was from my ad on craigslist. Word of mouth is key in this business, Take care of your customers you have now and let them be your advertising.

Steve
04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Talk to all your neighbors, friends and family and see if they can get you some customers. Also ask your current customers for referrals.

Try to keep the jobs close so you can get to them yourself.

Also, do you have a bike? Why not make a trailer to haul your mower!

http://www.bozemanbiofuels.com/bike%20trailer%20mower%20cropped.jpg

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Talk to all your neighbors, friends and family and see if they can get you some customers. Also ask your current customers for referrals.

Try to keep the jobs close so you can get to them yourself.

Also, do you have a bike? Why not make a trailer to haul your mower!

http://www.bozemanbiofuels.com/bike%20trailer%20mower%20cropped.jpg

Steve this is awesome!! What a way to Improvize !!

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 06:19 PM
When I was a kid mowing grass in the neighbor hood I had one of those Rear engine 30" deck mowers from sears. I had a utility cart hitched on the back that carried my 21' push mower weedeater and gas cans..... Even had my name and number painted on the trailer..... Ah the GOOD OLE DAYS lol

msbrown4826
04-20-2012, 02:24 PM
I too, am a rookie, but once I made the determination I wanted to mow I actually wanted to mow and get some experience first and find steady clients later after I had built a "portfolio". I found the perfect way and so far have only one client. Mowed my first lawn 2 days ago and just got 3 more today. I went with the biggest realtor in town. My realtor realizes that "curb appeal" is definately important for prospective buyers, and from what it sounds like he is going to have no shortage of jobs for me. Good luck! (and I think the bicycle/trailer combo is awesome. Might even get you more jobs because then people would see that you are dedicated enough to do what it takes to get the job done).