PDA

View Full Version : Transmission blew

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-18-2012, 07:29 PM
After dropping my last guy off the trans burned up on me pulling out into a street. I have no gears but neutral. This trans was replaced with a used one a few months back. I just had the shifter cable and lines replaced.

All together this is my 3rd trans in 6 months. Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I get it rebuilt with a warranty? junk it? I went cheap with a used one the first time.

The truck has 270k miles but theres really nothing else wrong with it. Theres not even rust. Its cheaper to rebuild then buy a used truck with who knows what problems.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
What make? Sorry to hear man.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
02 sliverado..
First transmission was 3rd gear. The second one was fine but started slipping after driving at highway speeds.

Then my ford f350 wont go past 3rd gear at all. I got a rebuilt one for that and then the timing chain went.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-18-2012, 08:28 PM
1500 or 2500? I have an 02 silverado 2500 and I can't complain , she's a work horse , I have 257,000 and just replaced the motor . Now my 1500 , ya shes startin to slip some, only beef I have with the Chevys are the weak window motors, window controls and oil pressure sending units. Sounds like some bad luck, hope it all works out

willshome
04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Talk to a trans shop tell them what you do with your truck (should be like around $2,200 with a one year)
Are you turning off overdrive when towing?

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-18-2012, 09:03 PM
1500 or 2500? I have an 02 silverado 2500 and I can't complain , she's a work horse , I have 257,000 and just replaced the motor . Now my 1500 , ya shes startin to slip some, only beef I have with the Chevys are the weak window motors, window controls and oil pressure sending units. Sounds like some bad luck, hope it all works out
1500... I have a 2500 with 234,000. I did the tranny on that at 190,000 but its a little beefier then the l460e the 1500s use.

Talk to a trans shop tell them what you do with your truck (should be like around $2,200 with a one year)
Are you turning off overdrive when towing?
Thats the route I might take. I tried to fix it for cheap last time. I barely ever towed with this truck. I used it mostly for driving the crews around and pressure washing. I did get a plow for her at the end of the year but havent used it.

CHEESE2009
04-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Good luck with finding a new tranny. :(

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYXj8nZoQogNfNSlzWtsuO_NvM0JlKj _fg-jAX6EX1QzRyTys0bSVp5_V8

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
ive been a mechanic for 10 yrs
just make sure that if you get it rebuilt that the builder uses high energy frictions and if your towing all the time with the truck you need to have an external trans cooler installed. the number cause of failed transmissions is heat. Also Id recommend a billet torque converter but not a necessity. Hope this info helps.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
I did have a trans cooler installed when I put the plow on.

The trans places wont even give me a quote. They want about $500 to open it up. Then they said a overhaul would be at least $1800 and a remans around $2700. The warranty would be 12 months or 12,000 miles.

I can get a autozone rebuilt for $1350 after core. I might go with that since it has the longest warranty (3 years).

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I did have a trans cooler installed when I put the plow on.

The trans places wont even give me a quote. They want about $500 to open it up. Then they said a overhaul would be at least $1800 and a remans around $2700. The warranty would be 12 months or 12,000 miles.

I can get a autozone rebuilt for $1350 after core. I might go with that since it has the longest warranty (3 years).

I have no complaints against the All Trans brand they sell. I have installed a few of these for customers whose transmissions were beyond a rebuild and had zero complaints from the customers. Another recommendation is perhaps a trans temperature gauge to monitor how hot your fluid is getting.

Hedgemaster
04-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Ugh. I feel your pain.

Today, I was wrapping up my day with a few estimates close to home and I got in the truck to go to the next one, started it up, put my foot on the brake and put it in gear - or tried to. The shifter lever (automatic) just popped all the way to the right. WTF? I swung it back toward park and it wasn't doing anything - just moving freely. Sigh.

Similar truck. 2001 Silverado 1500 extended cab 4x4. 52,000 miles.

Aside from a wheel bearing I had replaced last week, this is the only problem I recall having with it since purchased new.

Had it towed to my local mom/pop garage and praying he can look at it/fix it tomorrow.

Now I'm weighing whether to rent a truck for Friday's jobs, or play catch up on Monday. (rain forecast for weekend)
This sucks.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Ugh. I feel your pain.

Today, I was wrapping up my day with a few estimates close to home and I got in the truck to go to the next one, started it up, put my foot on the brake and put it in gear - or tried to. The shifter lever (automatic) just popped all the way to the right. WTF? I swung it back toward park and it wasn't doing anything - just moving freely. Sigh.

Similar truck. 2001 Silverado 1500 extended cab 4x4. 52,000 miles.

Aside from a wheel bearing I had replaced last week, this is the only problem I recall having with it since purchased new.

Had it towed to my local mom/pop garage and praying he can look at it/fix it tomorrow.

Now I'm weighing whether to rent a truck for Friday's jobs, or play catch up on Monday. (rain forecast for weekend)
This sucks.
good luck to you too. That sounds like a shifter cable. Cant be more then $300 to fix.

I checked my fluid today and its red and black. This fluid is new since I had my lines done 3 weeks ago. I put it in drive and was able to use 1st for a few minutes before it heated up. Then it wouldnt move. This trans is toast.

I have 2 trucks down and 1 left for work. If that goes ill be in a uhaul.:eek:

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
good luck to you too. That sounds like a shifter cable. Cant be more then $300 to fix.

I checked my fluid today and its red and black. This fluid is new since I had my lines done 3 weeks ago. I put it in drive and was able to use 1st for a few minutes before it heated up. Then it wouldnt move. This trans is toast.

Wait a minute werent you dogging me on my uhaul trailer????:D

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r625/kcspropertyservice/100_3563.jpg

Steve
04-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Can you pull it out yourself?

Maybe 6 bolts on the bell housing. Take the shaft off. Speedometer cable, shifter.

Then a few bolts on the torque converter.

Drop it with a floor jack and put it into a garbage can.

Haul it over to a trans shop.

Have them rebuild it and then you reinstall it.

It will take a little time, but it can save you a bunch of money.

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 06:11 PM

Maybe 6 bolts on the bell housing. Take the shaft off. Speedometer cable, shifter.

Most Transmission shop wont warranty the transmission if they dont install it themselves..

Hedgemaster
04-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks. Fingers crossed for a repair bill that isn't going to set me back too far.

I just gave up trying to locate a rental place with a truck. None close to me have trucks, so unless my truck is going to be out for more than a day or two, I'll just accept the lost income and try to play catchup next week.

I was looking at the trunk of my wife's Cavalier, but I don't think I wanna try shoving a mower in there. LOL

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks. Fingers crossed for a repair bill that isn't going to set me back too far.

I just gave up trying to locate a rental place with a truck. None close to me have trucks, so unless my truck is going to be out for more than a day or two, I'll just accept the lost income and try to play catchup next week.

I was looking at the trunk of my wife's Cavalier, but I don't think I wanna try shoving a mower in there. LOL

Do you have a uhaul dealer near you? they have those pickups for in town rental but im not sure the price on them.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Wait a minute werent you dogging me on my uhaul trailer????:D

That was me... I thought of you when I said it too.:D Come to CT to fix my transmission and I have a 5x8 for you. ;)

Do you have a uhaul dealer near you? they have those pickups for in town rental but im not sure the price on them.
There 19.99 a day and .60 a mile. I rented one to haul back a mower from a auction before since I went there with a car. The only problem is most places dont carry the pick up trucks.

The install isnt to difficult. It was more or less the warrenty part but autozone will warranty it either way. You cant throw it away either the core is $500. The price with core is $1850.

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 08:16 PM
lol yeah they only carry the pickups at actual uhaul stores because they're leased by uhaul and not actually owed by uhaul so your dealers like the gas station up the road cant carry them.

Hedgemaster
04-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah, anyone who doesn't have a contingency plan in place for when their truck goes down might want to do some preemptive rental research - finding a rental pickup truck isn't as easy as it sounds.

As mentioned, Uhaul only has trucks at the main centers - not at the "gas stations" with Uhaul rentals.
I did manage to locate a truck at Enterprise rent a car only a few miles from me, but fortunately I didn't need it.

Crisis averted. No rental required.

The garage couldn't look at it until after lunch today, but he called and said I could pick it up. The part won't be in until Monday, but they did a temporary fix so I could at least use my truck until it gets the part replaced.

I didn't catch what the part was called, but it's the part that comes out of the transmission that the shifter cable attaches to. It had rusted and the cable popped off, so they wired it together for me and I was able to start my first lawn at 3pm today. I got 4 cuts done and did the two estimates I couldn't get to yesterday.

The bast part of the day was when I asked what I was looking at for the repair total once the part comes in. "Oh, it will be under $100", he said.

:dancing: (happy dance)

Al Kessinger
04-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I didn't catch what the part was called, but it's the part that comes out of the transmission that the shifter cable attaches to. It had rusted and the cable popped off, so they wired it together for me and I was able to start my first lawn at 3pm today. I got 4 cuts done and did the two estimates I couldn't get to yesterday.

I said it was probably where the cable attaches to the bracket on the transmission

Thats one more for the internet mechanic lol:D