PDA

View Full Version : On my way but need some info

ldaggerl
04-18-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm currently underway on starting my own lawn care business. I'm trying to start an all organic lawn care company. So far I've got myself a 7x16' trailer, ZTR, walk behind, aerator, trimmers, backpack blower, and many other items. I've just gotten my EID and I'm on to the endless list of "to do's" still. What I'd like to know so far is where does everyone purchase there seed and fertilizer from; also are there any specific brands that are preferred over others? I had a few companies give me estimates ranging from $65-98 for each application of fertilizer to my 16,000 ft^2 yard, yet I'm finding that at the stores the prices can be $60 for just the fertilizer alone. As I'm going with organic I'm finding that prices are tending to be a bit more for them than synthetics on top of that. With this I'm wondering how they can afford those prices while still making a profit. I mean its like $40-$50 for a bag that will treat 16,000 ft^2 and then on top of that you have to spread it. Now granted these places did only fertilizer and didn't do much else so maybe they are getting a wholesale price that I don't know about. I know that one retail store I spoke with said if I bought a pallet of product I would get it at wholesale price and would either have to pay for shipping it up to me or pick it up myself. So let me know what you think and any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated. I've read I don't know how many books but there are still unanswered questions.

Steve
04-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Are there any local garden/landscape supply centers in the area that can sell to you wholesale?

ldaggerl
04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
There are a few places around here that might be able to but how do I go about asking someone for whole sale prices; also do you always have to buy large amounts such as pallets to get the whole sale price? I read some places may need a business bank accounts or an EIN or something of that nature and I have both already. I have a list of 5 companies local that have organic products and I want to drive there and check everything out in person first and speak with someone in person. I appreciate the quick response.

Al Kessinger
04-19-2012, 12:33 PM
There are a few places around here that might be able to but how do I go about asking someone for whole sale prices; also do you always have to buy large amounts such as pallets to get the whole sale price? I read some places may need a business bank accounts or an EIN or something of that nature and I have both already. I have a list of 5 companies local that have organic products and I want to drive there and check everything out in person first and speak with someone in person. I appreciate the quick response.

Thats exactly what you do Just speak with the owner or General Manager, let them now that you have a lawn care business and that your interested in buying wholesale. In most cases you will have to buy a bulk amount, and depending on the size of the business you may be able to set up a commercial account

ldaggerl
04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Ok thats easy enough, I didn't know exactly how you ask them that but if its that easy then I'm good. I'm going out tomorrow to stop by 5 places and check them out and like you said speak with the manager and see what I can do. Thanks.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
They could be buying wholesale or pallets but when we use to work with chemicals we made our own blend. You can get all the ingredients in 50lb bags then mix it yourself. We saved close to 70% off retail this way. Also when fertilizing your suppose to do a soil test and add whats lacking. So we had the option of making custom blends too.

Steve
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Ok thats easy enough, I didn't know exactly how you ask them that but if its that easy then I'm good. I'm going out tomorrow to stop by 5 places and check them out and like you said speak with the manager and see what I can do.

Let us know how this turns out and what you learned from the experience.

ldaggerl
04-19-2012, 08:06 PM
They could be buying wholesale or pallets but when we use to work with chemicals we made our own blend. You can get all the ingredients in 50lb bags then mix it yourself. We saved close to 70% off retail this way. Also when fertilizing your suppose to do a soil test and add whats lacking. So we had the option of making custom blends too.
I've thought about making something to make my own compost and compost tea so I have thought about it but now that you mention how much you save I'm going to look into it more. I'll read up on the subject.

Let us know how this turns out and what you learned from the experience.

Sure will thanks again for the help.

Steve
04-20-2012, 05:36 PM
I've thought about making something to make my own compost and compost tea so I have thought about it but now that you mention how much you save I'm going to look into it more.

There have been a bunch of members on here that have created their own compost tea. If you have space to do it, it would be a great way to go.

ldaggerl
04-21-2012, 09:47 AM
There have been a bunch of members on here that have created their own compost tea. If you have space to do it, it would be a great way to go.

Ah like you said, if you have space. I don't have enough room anywhere to put it in. I have a huge yard but no space in a shed or garage. Next year if business goes well I plan to start trying to create my own compost as well as compost tea. Plenty of places around here will analyse it for me and tell me what it needs.

As for my initial post I went out yesterday and went around to a few business. Ended up that three of there were more nurseries with just trees, shrubs, bushes, things of that nature which wasn't what I was looking for. One place called Ellington Agway seemed to have pretty decent prices to begin with and had organic solutions for almost everything yard related which I really liked. Also after speaking with the manager they have a business card that I can get when I go back that gives 10% off plus the counter top was filled with business cards. On top of even that they said they will refer me to customers BUT only if I do a good job, they made it a point to tell me that. So with them focused on quality I'm pretty much sold. One other place was a bigger company and they only worked in wholesale and needed minimums of pallets for almost all the items they sold. I will try to buy what I can from them but its not a huge selection. I figure in a year or so I want to have more than just my team running and enough business to purchase like that. But everything went pretty well and I think I've got a provider for my products. Appreciate the advice, and not tearing my head off.

Steve
04-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Appreciate the advice, and not tearing my head off.

You are welcome :) There will be plenty of questions you will be able to answer on here too and we all look forwards to your future insights.