PDA

View Full Version : My flier

JLM
04-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Hey check out my flier and tell me what you think. Input is important.

Hedgemaster
04-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Do you have a UPS Store, or copy center nearby?

They usually charge about $35 for a simple flyer design.
Too many people do this stuff themselves when they are not qualified to do so.

No offense. Not everyone can mow a lawn properly and not everyone can be a graphic designer.
Isn't your success worth at least $35?

shadrach
04-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Would spend some money on a nice design - especially if you are advertising higher end services.

plan-itgraphics.com - guy does really nice design work and can print/ship for less than we can get things printed locally. " ready to print" files if you wish to have printing done elsewhere.

willshome
04-17-2012, 09:03 PM
I like it, print it on green cover stock

Looks like the flyer one of the biggest lawn business around here (they don't stop for under $80 a mow)

Steve
04-18-2012, 04:22 PM
It's simple and should be effective.

Something to consider, putting a catchy headline at the top, and your company name at the bottom, will improve the chances of it getting read.

Also, maybe get a website and put that address on your flyer too.

What is your plan to distribute them? How will you be doing it?

JLM
04-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Im gonna Mow a local pizza place for free. Its a 15 minute job per week, Inturn My flyers will be delivered atop pizza boxes in areas of my choosing. I am also having my business cards put on each table and at the register. That is the plan for the flyer I posted. Almost forgot, the restaurant is located in an upper class area and is only 5 min from my home I think I made a good deal.

Steve
04-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Im gonna Mow a local pizza place for free. Its a 15 minute job per week, Inturn My flyers will be delivered atop pizza boxes in areas of my choosing. I am also having my business cards put on each table and at the register. That is the plan for the flyer I posted.

Make sure you ask each new caller where they heard of you from and track how many people called you from the restaurant. That way you can see if it is worthwhile.

Keep us posted on how this goes!

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Im gonna Mow a local pizza place for free. Its a 15 minute job per week, Inturn My flyers will be delivered atop pizza boxes in areas of my choosing. I am also having my business cards put on each table and at the register. That is the plan for the flyer I posted. Almost forgot, the restaurant is located in an upper class area and is only 5 min from my home I think I made a good deal.

That Is A Kick A** Idea! Although Id Listen To Shadrach....Its A Straight Forward, Nice Flyer....Its Just Sitten A Touch On The Childish Side. Best Of Luck

Al Kessinger
04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
That Is A Kick A** Idea! Although Id Listen To Shadrach....Its A Straight Forward, Nice Flyer....Its Just Sitten A Touch On The Childish Side. Best Of Luck

I like it. It hints to me small time operation and not a major organization where Ill have a different crew to my place every other week. I dont think its childish at all. Id call on this flyer before I called any of the ads in the paper.

Hedgemaster
04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
This is why you don't ask for graphic design advice from people who are not qualified to give it.

As a graphic artist (I worked in print advertising for ten years), I see it all the time here (and elsewhere)...

"Hey, how does this look?"

"SWEET!"

"Looks great, but you should capitalize everything."

"Add a clump of grass and it will be PERFECT!"

:rolleyes:

I could poop on a sheet of paper and draw a lawnmower next to it and JUST because there's a lawnmower there, LAWN people would say it looks "GREAT!"

Sigh. :(

I know this is coming off wrong. I don't mean to be a dick, but seriously, you aren't really expecting calls from "high end" clients with that flyer, are you?

You could use that same info and make a few small changes and it would make all the difference in the world, because, yes, as it is, it looks "childish" for lack of a better word.

OK. Now for constructive criticism:

I do like the smiling sun. It's casual, but it's "happy" and "positive". If you carry that image onto all of your promotional pieces, it gives you a consistent image that people will remember. I'm betting the ladies will key in on it, and I don't know about anyone else, but I work for a LOT of women. It doesn't "pop" as much in black and white, but that's OK.

The biggest issue with the images used are that there are three different "styles" of art - it looks like you just grabbed whatever you could find.

The sidewalk portion just needs to go. Period.

If you must use a tree, please find one that doesn't look like a drawing that has been photocopied ten thousand times. It's just a bad piece of art.

A good layout must always have an attention getter. That could be an image, a headline, whatever. Look at your flyer - there isn't one thing that is dominant - all the elements are fighting for attention.

Typical of almost every amateur "designer" is the placement of the business name at the top. With some exceptions, that is almost always the wrong place for it.
A HEADLINE/attention getter/call to action should be at the top.

AFFORDABLE
LAWN CARE

FREE GIFT
with Signed Contract!

RELAX!
Let Us Take Care of Everything

Company info and phone number should be at the bottom.

The box around the phone number has no real purpose - remove it.

I would remove "Services Offered". It just sort of "floats there" and the services "offered" are pretty obvious without needing to "say" it.

Full Service Lawn Care
Mowing Edging - Line Trimming Blowing - Hedge Trimming -
Weed Control Select Pruning

Landscaping
New Design and Installation Annual Plantings Clean Outs
Sod Mulch Rock Soil Tree Pruning

Irrigation
Repair Yearly Maintenance Additions French Drain
Installation

Tree Services
Removal Trimming -Topping - Stump Grinding

Note that things like the "dash" at the end of a line shouldn't be there.
Also, broken "descriptives" should be avoided - keep them on one line. see: "French Drain Installation" above. If it's too long for the first line, bump the whole thing to the next line - don't break it up.

Hope that helps. I apologize if I'm coming off too harsh.
Good luck! The pizza box arrangement could be a really positive thing. I just hate to see you waste such a great opportunity by not putting in just a little more effort into promoting yourself effectively.

JLM
04-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all your thoughts on my flyer. I had sir speedy printing do a new design will post it when I get them back. I ordered 2,000 to get me goin. The flyer I made was just an Idea thanks for the feed back. I like childish!!...Around here everyones a pro! Being a little off beat helpes me in my advertising. End rusults have been good so far.

Steve
04-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts on my flyer. I had sir speedy printing do a new design will post it when I get them back.

I am looking forwards to seeing them!