PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Dixie or a Hustler?

JLM
04-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Im buying a new 60" ztr can't decide on Dixie or Hustler. I see pros and cons to both. I need a 60" cut but not really a speed demon more of a great cut. I have never used either machine, so with what I do know about them Im kinda in the dark! If you have used a dixie or a hustler I want to know what you think about them. good and bad. Thanks!

kdexpd
04-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi JLM. I have owned a Dixie Chopper and I personally dislike them. I have owned Exmark, Simplicity, Cub Cadet, and Dixie so far. The Exmark is the only one I have used that has the best cut of all of them. It doesn't shave the high spots because the deck floats better. I absolutely hate the Dixie's ride because it bounces you all over. The best advice I could give you if you decide on one is to get rid of those God awful bar tires. They are worthless. You'll spend more time repairing your customers lawns than you will making money. I got some good advice from an old timer once when I bought mine. He was outside the dealer with me trying to talk me out of it and he told me once I got home to unload the mower and do about 3 full doughnuts in the street with it. I thought the old boy was nuts, but it sounded fun so I did. What discovered was that the tread size that was actually leaving rubber on the road was about the width of a quarter. This was with 8psi in the tires. The first thing I did was trade those bar tires in for some normal turf tires. I also found out that as that mower bounces along, it cuts the grass at different heights too. I'm a freak about how my lawns look after I mow them and that mower embarrassed me. The Exmark is the only mower I'll ever own because of the cutting quality. I've never owned a Hustler so I can't give you any advice on that. Some of the other companies here in town have them and they appear to do ok, but I've never been up close to inspect it. Just my two cents worth.

Al Kessinger
04-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Has anyone used a bad boy ztr before

Sprinkler Buddy
04-15-2012, 11:30 PM
I run the 60" Hustlers, great mowers in my opinion. I have used x-mart's & scag''s in the past. If I were to replace my mowers today, it would be Hustlers.

wandfsmall
04-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Has anyone used a bad boy ztr before

Bad Boy is kinda like Dixie Chopper, if your just knocking down weeds it will do fine, but if you have a yard and want it striped you will need to look at something else.

Sprinkler Buddy
04-17-2012, 05:26 AM
If you should decide to go with Hustler, invest in the Flex Forks on the front caster wheels. They make a huge difference if your doing a lot of mowing.

If they don't come on it already, the dealer should be able to swap them out to flex forks but you'll have to pay the difference, if it's a new mower and not a dealer demo your looking at.

Al Kessinger
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I was at my local dealer and they had a badboy with full front and rear suspension