PDA

View Full Version : HI guys

fmbill
04-14-2012, 10:11 PM
I am starting my lawn care business as a part time job, would love to go full time when I get a solid customer base It has been a life long dream of mine, I am starting of small, want to upgrade when I have the cash to do so. I have a Z42 Encore and Toro push mower and Troy bilt weedeater, edger and blower. Need some advice on marketing, I want to get some t shirts and a window decal for my truck

Any suggestions would be great!!

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I am starting my lawn care business as a part time job, would love to go full time when I get a solid customer base It has been a life long dream of mine, I am starting of small, want to upgrade when I have the cash to do so. I have a Z42 Encore and Toro push mower and Troy bilt weedeater, edger and blower. Need some advice on marketing, I want to get some t shirts and a window decal for my truck

Any suggestions would be great!!

Most guys in here will tell you that word of mouth is the best marketing you could ever have. Taking absolute care of those first couple customers is key! One of my first customers was an elderly lady, I cut a small tree down for her, was kind , fast and fair priced..she in return sent out a mass email to 300 of her bible study ladies mentioning my name. Before I knew it I had a solid customer base. It is great to look professional with the shirts yard signs etc but don't stress it man, all you need is a sharp looking , easy to read business card starting out...give it to everyone and their priest ! I didn't get my business shirts and yard signs until my 3rd yr, didn't have time to honestly lol . Just keep your truck and equipment clean...I see guys with $5 letter kits plastered all crooked & Sh*t on their truck doors...I think to myself, " their work must be half as* too" . Another word of advice..put everything in writing!! Even if it's pulling a weed! It covers your *** and also it's notes to look back on in your next yr of business. Best of luck man.

Al Kessinger
04-14-2012, 11:15 PM
best of luck to your new adventure. Ive been doing this part time for about two years now and just recently was laid off, so im starting this full time. kinda in the same boat you are. Ive got about two days worth of work to fill a week lol but i agree, word of mouth is everything. be professional, LOOK professional and you'll have business in no time.

Hedgemaster
04-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Always work like someone is watching you - because they ARE.

Neighbors notice your hard work even when your clients may not.
I've been told many times "I've watched you - you do nice work". Several times those people have either become clients, or referred me to a friend who has.

In terms of priority, I'd put more importance on the truck lettering than shirts.

Get yourself insured if you haven't already done so.
Research what you need to do to legally operate a business. I needed to get zoning board approval to operate a business from my home. Don't assume they "won't find out". I applied for my business name registration first and the municipality apparently gets notice, or searches for "new businesses", and sent me a letter stating that it is illegal to operate without zoning approval.

Don't take on jobs that you aren't qualified to do and don't bull$hit a client if you can't do something they are requesting. Most people appreciate honesty and would rather hear that what they are requesting is beyond your scope at this time, and would rather have someone else fill that need than have you do it half-a$$ed.

Good luck with your quest to go full time!

Steve
04-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Will you be getting business cards?

Have you been telling everyone you know about your business?

kdexpd
04-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Most guys in here will tell you that word of mouth is the best marketing you could ever have. Taking absolute care of those first couple customers is key! One of my first customers was an elderly lady, I cut a small tree down for her, was kind , fast and fair priced..she in return sent out a mass email to 300 of her bible study ladies mentioning my name. Before I knew it I had a solid customer base. It is great to look professional with the shirts yard signs etc but don't stress it man, all you need is a sharp looking , easy to read business card starting out...give it to everyone and their priest ! I didn't get my business shirts and yard signs until my 3rd yr, didn't have time to honestly lol . Just keep your truck and equipment clean...I see guys with $5 letter kits plastered all crooked & Sh*t on their truck doors...I think to myself, " their work must be half as* too" . Another word of advice..put everything in writing!! Even if it's pulling a weed! It covers your *** and also it's notes to look back on in your next yr of business. Best of luck man.

This is some of the BEST advice you can receive. Take it and run with it man! Your appearance tells the customer EVERYTHING!!