PDA

View Full Version : Working for trade

Steve
08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
If you are looking to expand your business by adding a used truck, trailer or mowers, maybe you should consider bartering.

I thought this article was interesting and pointed out what is available.

Who knows, maybe you might include "will work for trade" in your future ads.

Lawn care owner takes cash or trade: Sometimes used machinery just as good as money (http://www.examiner-enterprise.com/articles/2007/08/25/business/bus795.txt) - It started when a friend he did some work for offered him a truck.

“He just asked me if I wanted a truck. It wasn’t the best looking thing, but it ran,” said Riley.

Riley also runs a side business rebuilding engines, so he always has an eye out for automotive trades. When he finds the time, he works on his hobby restoring classic vehicles.

Once a customer asked him if he would clean out their garage. They asked him if he was interested in the motorcycle that was stored inside.

“I said, yeah, how much do you want for it? And they said, ‘Well, if you clean out the garage, we’ll give it to you.’”

Sometimes, Riley said, he plans ahead of time with the client what work he will trade for merchandise. It may be a new client or a regular customer.

“They might say they can’t pay but would I mow their grass for ‘this’ item?” Riley said he usually mows the lawn several times for the trade.

http://images.townnews.com/examiner-enterprise.com/content/articles/2007/08/25/business/bus795_thumb.jpg

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
08-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I've been thinking of trading one lawn mowing for an evening meal for the wife and me at a high end restaurant I have for a customer. *The costs are about the same so it would be an even swap.

This isn't something I would do all the time as it doesn't generate cash flow, but as an occasional thing to do its OK.

If the restaurant owner is receptive, I will definitely consider something along those lines with other commercial customers if there is something worth bartering over.

Steve
08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh! That is very interessting! How did you go about presenting that idea to the owner or did the owner present it to you?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
09-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I haven't seen her yet. I'll be there Thursday afternoon and will present her with the offer.