PDA

View Full Version : No Joke Worst Pain Ever!

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Last yr mid summer I was mowing a yard , it was my last yard of the day so I was whippin around. I was in the " zone" tryin to get done fast, I've mowed the yard so many times before...rarely do I look up. I was circling a tree in the back yard , all of a sudden I got a burning sensation in my neck, thought nothing kept going, again and again and again. Realizing my roll bar hit a nest in the tree, I jumped off and hauled ***! Made it to the front yard out of breathe and in pain. Let my customer know of the problem and called It a Day. Went home, couple hrs later I couldn't move. Stung 10 times and all the venom went to my arm pits( bodies defense mechanism sending it to the place where it can be sweat out, I researched later) absolute worst pain I've dealt with. Went back the next day to retrieve my mower, customer had called an exterminator...they said it was " balled Faced Hornets" !!!! Most aggressive stinger known to fly, can sting repeatedly . I wouldn't wish that pain on nobody! Luckily my mower hit a tree and stopped rolling down the hill, into the pond. Has anyone ever came across these bad asses !!?

CHEESE2009
04-10-2012, 01:08 AM
If I get stung by a bee, I have 20 seconds or less to live. LOL.

Love this job. Hope you get better my friend, that sounds friggen awful!

Did you go to a clinic yet?

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-10-2012, 01:29 AM
If I get stung by a bee, I have 20 seconds or less to live. LOL.

Love this job. Hope you get better my friend, that sounds friggen awful!

Did you go to a clinic yet?

Lol sorry to hear! Ya I'm fine, it was last yr, still real gun shy , I've become a puss when things graze my neck , fall in my hair , I'll swing on a butterfly lol

JeffK26
04-10-2012, 06:24 AM
I cannot find actual video of this skit,it's hilarious,:D... but hopefully ya'll still get a laugh... :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kEjwoOCdBXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sprinkler Buddy
04-10-2012, 07:01 AM
I had hornets light me up one time a few years back. I took great pleasure in pouring diesel down the hole the following mourning before they got active and watched them burn. lol

kdexpd
04-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Yes I have come across these short tempered little pricks. I worked for a pest control company about 8 years ago. We had a job in a customer's attic and stumbled upon a nest. I have a terrible phobia of bees and wasps, but I suited up anyway and went back up. I was stung 3 times through the bee suit before I finally got them all killed. It was a very freaky deal because as I approached the nest, they began pouring out of it like a broken water main and they had me covered in seconds. As they came out of the nest they were like little kamakazies and were dive bombing me in the face shield and helmet. Sounded like little bb's hitting me. Pretty scary moment because there were hundreds of them all over me and I could feel the vibrations through the suit. I've also been nailed by yellow jackets while mowing and they're just as bad because they leave a pheromone when the sting you which alerts others to your location. They can find you up to two hundred yards away, in case you decide to run. The pain from one sting is not as bad as a bald faced hornet, but the sheer number of stings from yellow jackets is what will get ya. They cover you and follow you no matter where you go. Best thing to do is to get into a vehicle or house and shower.

Steve
04-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Oh I am sorry that happened!

Is there anything that can be brought with you onsite to treat stings when they happen or no?

Hedgemaster
04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
I got nailed by ground bees (some sort of wasp/hornet, I think) on three occasions last summer. All on the lower leg(s). (yes, while wearing shorts)

I thought I was going to cry like a girl when I was first nailed and I couldn't believe the pain afterward - felt like I was hit with a bat the next day.

I had never been stung before, so the first time, I went straight home (was about a mile from home) just in case I had a reaction.

I carry a can or two of wasp spray now.

kdexpd
04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Oh I am sorry that happened!

Is there anything that can be brought with you onsite to treat stings when they happen or no?

Yes there are over the counter "sting kits" which you can buy at any pharmacy or in the sporting goods section at WalMart. The best thing about wasps and any other bees than honey bees are that when they sting, they don't leave behind their stinger. Honey bees are the only ones who sting you once, leave their stinger in you, and then fly away and die. The best advice I can offer is if you are NOT ALLERGIC to bees and wasps, is to take benadryl after you get stung. Here a pics of the most common types of bees/wasps in my area that hate mowing services.
First To Last: Bald Faced Hornet, Bumble Bee, Paper Wasp, Yellow Jacket, and Honey Bee

Hedgemaster
04-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I guess what I call "ground bees" are actually yellow jackets.

http://www.chicagopestcontrolservice.com/images/slide1.jpg

My leg hurts just looking at it.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Sting kits and a couple cans of raid isn't a bad idea. Gonna put that on my to get list. Now that I think about it, I bet my roll bar didn't even hit the nest, probably was just the vibration from the mower...either way I'll be sure to be more cautious of my surroundings! Hope none of us have any of these situations occur again!

Apex Lawn & Landscape
04-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I cannot find actual video of this skit,it's hilarious,:D... but hopefully ya'll still get a laugh... :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kEjwoOCdBXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not seein anything..is your link broken? try posting again

JeffK26
04-11-2012, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjwoOCdBXA

Vid won't post so here's the link.

The dance he speaks of applies to bees as well :)