PDA

View Full Version : Getting Jobs when starting out

PineHillLawn
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I have all the equipment to do great quality lawn care but being that I'm just starting, I don't have the one thing I need, Customers. I have been running my own business in another field for several years but it's not a necessity for people so I have started dwindling in that field (woodworking).

I have 4 yards as of now I take care of but would like to get around 30 or so and have passed out the door hangers and cards but havent had a single call from any.

What can I do to get more clients in the Lawn mowing field?

WorkForMySelf
04-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I have all the equipment to do great quality lawn care but being that I'm just starting, I don't have the one thing I need, Customers. I have been running my own business in another field for several years but it's not a necessity for people so I have started dwindling in that field (woodworking).

I have 4 yards as of now I take care of but would like to get around 30 or so and have passed out the door hangers and cards but havent had a single call from any.

What can I do to get more clients in the Lawn mowing field?

try passing out 1,000 fliers a day, everyday, mon-fri. you should get one to three calls a day. Two will be complaints It is what it is

Steve
04-06-2012, 06:09 PM
and have passed out the door hangers and cards but havent had a single call from any.

How many have you passed out so far? Success is found in large numbers. If we see 1 to 2% response rates on marketing material, you can see how if you handed out 100 flyers, you MIGHT get 1 call. SO the more you hand out the better your chances are of getting responses.

PineHillLawn
04-06-2012, 06:37 PM
How many have you passed out so far? Success is found in large numbers. If we see 1 to 2% response rates on marketing material, you can see how if you handed out 100 flyers, you MIGHT get 1 call. SO the more you hand out the better your chances are of getting responses.

No where near the 1000 mark but have wondered if it really does work? I have maybe handed out 300 on the last week either cards or door hangers. Does this really work well enough to take the time to do it. I have had a few people get upset that I'm walking up to their door and opening it to place a hanger in the storm door and jamb.

Is it legal to stick them in the mailbox or if they have a clip attached to the mailbox?

PineHillLawn
04-06-2012, 10:12 PM
What is the best way to make a client think your the right one to do their lawn? I have advertised Free first mow with a 4 week agreement, Referral Discounts, and still not getting my name out there like I want.

What am I doing wrong?

Hedgemaster
04-06-2012, 10:24 PM
No where near the 1000 mark but have wondered if it really does work? I have maybe handed out 300 on the last week either cards or door hangers. Does this really work well enough to take the time to do it. I have had a few people get upset that I'm walking up to their door and opening it to place a hanger in the storm door and jamb.

Is it legal to stick them in the mailbox or if they have a clip attached to the mailbox?

"Does this work?" depends on a lot more things than simply the act of distribution.

Is your flyer professionally done, or was it written in crayon?
Are you targeting areas that have a greater potential for call backs than other areas?
Are you driving a creepy looking "child abductormobile", or is your ride clean and respectable?
How do you dress when delivering flyers?
Are there any offers to prompt a call back?
Are you a natural salesman when you get to talk to a homeowner?
The list goes on...

Many people do not like solicitation. In many, MANY areas it is not legal to distribute flyers without first obtaining a solicitation permit.
No, you can't use the mail box.

I did the flyer thing once or twice and only handed out about 300-500 of them - which is NOTHING. I did get a few jobs out of it.
Funny thing, today I got a call from someone I gave a snow removal flyer to in the winter - not this winter, the PREVIOUS winter. I just picked him up as a mowing client today! LOL!

I've had good luck with Craigslist.

j.a.lawnervces
04-07-2012, 01:45 AM
hay guys i have posted before on where to put flyers and business cards, BEST PLACES ARE TANNING BEDS- HAIR SALONS ANYWHERE WHERE WOMEN FREQUENT THE MOST!!!

HERE IS WHERE YOUR CUSTOMERS DO THE WORK

I have a referral program and it works wonders-

1 referral will get you $5 off next service 6 referrals gets you a free mowing (in a season )

Then pick a few customers that you offer say 3 referrals in the month of june and u get a free service.

hope these few ideas helps someone
J&A Lawn Service

Steve
04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
What is the best way to make a client think your the right one to do their lawn? I have advertised Free first mow with a 4 week agreement, Referral Discounts, and still not getting my name out there like I want.

Are you reaching out to people you know in the area? Do you have family locally? Friends? Neighbors? Those are the people that can help get you started and from there you can reach out to their neighbors too.

Giving the first mowing away for free may be a little too much but you are experimenting so that is a good thing.

Once you get a few customers, you will start getting the swing of things and it will become easier for you. But starting with people you know can get this process started much easier.

PineHillLawn
04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Are you reaching out to people you know in the area? Do you have family locally? Friends? Neighbors? Those are the people that can help get you started and from there you can reach out to their neighbors too.

Giving the first mowing away for free may be a little too much but you are experimenting so that is a good thing.

Once you get a few customers, you will start getting the swing of things and it will become easier for you. But starting with people you know can get this process started much easier.

Thanks Steve, Yeah I have 6 yards total right now and 2 are from a family memeber and then 2 others are from a former co-worker/friend. I'm hoping I can do away with the Free Mow thing but I was just trying to get my foot in the door so to speak. I will say mowing is a labor intense job but the marketing yourself aspect, is a whole lot more labor intense.